The Greatest Hit. RIP
  • Katie Melua is next week.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Good stuff reg. I file know your enemy right with the roots phrenology. Same vibe, same "this is the album everyone hates." But it's highs are really high, IMO.

Everyone hates Phrenology?  I always assumed that would be their most popular overall.
  • I have a soft spot for You Love Us as a proper manifesto of a song. Sneering at the world was a good look on the Manics.

It’s not my number one though.

I’ve always loved the double whammy of Faster and P.C.P., as the best balance they ever managed between serious lyricism and adrenalin fuelled anger.

Those aren’t contenders either.

Motorcycle Emptiness is a thing of beauty. The excess of a rock ballad turned inside out and blasted clean. It’s close, but no cigar.

My top Manics track is La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh). Hits me square in the gut every time.
  • I do love Your Love Alone with Nina Persson although I suspect that may have more to do with Nina Persson.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I have a soft spot for You Love Us as a proper manifesto of a song. Sneering at the world was a good look on the Manics.

I’ve always loved the double whammy of Faster and P.C.P., as the best balance they ever managed between serious lyricism and adrenalin fuelled anger.

Motorcycle Emptiness is a thing of beauty. The excess of a rock ballad turned inside out and blasted clean. It’s close, but no cigar.

My top Manics track is La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh). Hits me square in the gut every time.

When I was young, PC meant police constable.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You Stole The Sun From My Heart for me I reckon. Proper poppy but it's a good 'un.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    I have a soft spot for You Love Us as a proper manifesto of a song. Sneering at the world was a good look on the Manics.

When I was young, PC meant police constable.

Nowadays I can’t seem to tell the difference.
  • I jumped straight in with my REM choice, and have just decided I’d have liked to have changed it.

Manics are brilliant from the albums I own, but there’s lots I haven’t heard.

I do like Kevin Carter a lot, and I don’t think it’s been mentioned yet (apologies if it has and I missed it), so I’ll go with that.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also a good time to remind you that MSP do a better Sweet Child O Mine than GnR.

• Mix it up a bit. Gremill will have to wait for the RHCP.

In their absence can we do Status Quo instead?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Certainly better than the current line up.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Mix it up a bit. Gremill will have to wait for the RHCP.

Put it to a vote, see what everyone wants.
  • Gremill wrote:

Everyone will just down down vote it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Everlasting holds some nice memories of slightly maudlin mid-late teenage days at college. Plus Mark and Lard’s rip off of if you tolerate this... was great!

https://youtu.be/mQPZ-Rn3pas

Went off the manics after seeing them live back in 2001, just didn’t really do much for me. Still enjoy hearing design for life etc when they crop up on radio 2, but I don’t choose to listen to their stuff.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Good stuff reg. I file know your enemy right with the roots phrenology. Same vibe, same "this is the album everyone hates." But it's highs are really high, IMO.

Everyone hates Phrenology?  I always assumed that would be their most popular overall.

I dunno where it sits now, but it's press, and certainly the vibe from folks in the scene here (God, I was young enough to be in a scene, bless) was very mixed.

Obviously the seed is a monster track, but the emphasised guitar and playful metal excursions and quest getting a little looser where seen as departures.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Can’t believe Cocko thinks a band that put out Holy Bible and EMG are weak MOR. Is this what pop punk does to you?

Anyway, probably 4st 7lb for me. Everything about it is a brilliant encapsulation of that album even if it is incredibly morbid and gross. Guitar that would peel flesh from bones, lyrics that are acid drenched and whip smart, a killer intro sample and a perfect sonic reflection of its subject matter in the way it contrasts choppy dissonance with a dreamlike closing pass.

“Kate and Kristin and Kit Kat, all things I like looking at.”
  • Gremill wrote:
    Gremill wrote:

Everyone will just down down vote it.

Whatever you want mate.
  • Facewon wrote:
    I dunno where it sits now, but it's press, and certainly the vibe from folks in the scene here (God, I was young enough to be in a scene, bless) was very mixed. Obviously the seed is a monster track, but the emphasised guitar and playful metal excursions and quest getting a little looser where seen as departures.

That was where the buzz was over here, that's how it seemed to me anyway.  When I bought it from Virgin Megastore the guy behind me was also buying it and there was a chat about it with the till staff.  Obviously this tiny experience could be representative of nothing, but in my head it was their most famous album based on that, magazine coverage and the fact that non rap fans seemed to know about it at work etc.
  • Travis? The worst bunch of indie bed wetters? Fuck off
    The Forum Herald™
  • Collateral probably had something to do with it.

Edit: Roots thing.
  • Bob wrote:
    Travis? The worst bunch of indie bed wetters? Fuck off

I'm coming around to them.
  • I like them
    But they’re no Manics on their best day!

Their best day they’re a Tesco value Coldplay
    The Forum Herald™
  • LivDiv wrote:
    A bit like R.E.M I only really appreciate Manics at a surface level. However Motorcycle Emptiness is one of my fave songs. Not top 10 but probably would be in a top 40.

I second this sentiment. I really only have very scant knowledge of them but Motorcycle Emptiness is probably my fave track of theirs and one of the few I can even recall on demand from memory really. 

Otherwise it's a soft spot for Design for Life purely because it came out around the time we went on a field trip for Geography GCSE and the place we were staying at had it on the jukebox and it was getting rinsed, also this was the same trip my friend would introduce me to the track P Control by Prince and forever change my life (thank u Neil, although we are separated by the passage of time and don't talk anymore, I never forget u for that, large up my friend).
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Aa-aaa-aa-a-a-a-a PUSSY CONTROL

AND THE MORAL OF THIS MOTHER FUCKER IS...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahahaha, I knew Travis would push buttons but I'm serious, U16 Girls is an anthem, just for many acts that were to follow it should have been a mantra
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • You’ll
    Be banging the Top Loader drum
    Next
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Achilles Heel was alreet.
  • Bob wrote:
    You’ll
    Next

That will be a quick round.
    They had one song and it was shit.

Week 27
    Top Loader
    Throw your stereo in the bath.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    On the plus side, it seems there's plenty I missed, so I can remedy that with some of the suggestions on these here pages. At the moment I still stand by earlier comment, they just didn't inspire me, I had Cornershop really pushing boundaries
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    You’ll
    Next

That will be a quick round.
    They had one song and it was shit.

Week 27
    Top Loader
    Throw your stereo in the bath.

And it wasn't even their shit song, it was a cover. Pisses me off that they managed to forge any sort of career off the back of it.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!