The Greatest Hit. RIP
  • Yeah. I'm struggling to pick a favourite here.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I was about to say Confide In Me but that's a right head wobble given it's the most non-Madonna Madonna song ever. I'll go with Like A Prayer. That's an absolute banger.
  • Having a bit of a Madonna afternoon.
    She has some brilliant tracks.

Totally forgot Don't Tell Me was a thing.
  • I always liked What It Feels Like For A Girl
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I definitely prefer the older stuff, but there is so much to choose from. Never felt she was a great singer but bags of attitude for the time.

For me it's a throw up between Papa dont preach and Like a Prayer. But there's a rake of other tunes which aren't far off.

Gotta say I was very disappointed when I finally got to see her live. I'm inclined to think the Slane set-up did not suit Lady Madge at all.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Gotta say I was very disappointed when I finally got to see her live. I'm inclined to think the Slane set-up did not suit Lady Madge at all.

She’s one of those artists that seems dead set on not doing a crowd pleasing greatest hits sets.

Which is bonkers.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Hmmmmm.

Tough. Like a prayer is a heck of an album.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Maybe worth a mention for anyone struggling picking just one track I generally give mentions some weighting as well.
    More up for the discussion than pinning colours to the mast.
  • Ooooh an artist whose work I’m more familiar with or at least like! I CAN CONTRIBUTE ONCE AGAIN!!!

I’m going with the very first track that came to mind and I love every time it comes on the radio. 

Like A Prayer
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Like a Prayer absolutely running away with it so far and not without merit.
  • Into the Groove. What the fuck is wrong with you people?
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Into the Groove. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

I like that too. Probably my second choice.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm gonna confirm my choice with Justify my Love.
    NSFW btw

The sexuality in that track and video were, let's say formative, despite coming out well before me being at that age (I was 4 ). I think the video may have even been banned for a good while, maybe it was its unbanning that caught me.

But yeah fucking hell.
    It captures a point I feel when you start to sleep with someone new who you click with and explore each other mentally and have that excitement. The heavy breathing isnt just orgasmic but to me that point where you nearly kiss and share each other's breath. It isn't just raunchy it is raw passion.

In that way though I think it is a track that takes someone with Madonna's raw confidence to carry, you couldn't throw that track at any artist and hope it would work, it isn't about her voice as good as it is. That is a work of someone who owns it. Apparently written by Madonna and Lenny Kravitz which makes sense.

It is fun, sexual but also rebellious in a way that is "I'm Madonna, I'm fucking huge, what are you gonna do not play it?"

Perhaps not her best track but one that defines her.

Edit: George Michael could have done Madonna's tracks. Literally the only person.
  • Like a prayer is an absolute boss of a track. Nothing else even worth mentioning, might as well call it and move on to week 6. Having said that I do have a soft spot for that weird ‘oh father’ track even thought it’s clearly about child abuse.

Remember when she ruined American Pie?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Week 6!?!
    The year is going quick. Someone inform my accountant.
  • Double post cos shit pub reception.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I have just made some changes to the thread title and OP.
    It is clear this isn't weekly. I never really liked the thread title either, wrote it twatted.

So we will deal in rounds now and it is now The Greatest Hit. More fitting I think.

Update your filo-faxes.
  • Also. The minimum I am going to give a round is 3 days now.
    Give it some breathing and listening space.
    Take the time to explore each other's suggestions even if you think you know them.

Or dont and I will see you Monday.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wow, where to start, well near the beginning I guess, first thoughts would be Borderline and Crazy For You, but just mentioning them throws Holiday, Material Girl and almost everything else up in to my head. My old neighbour Jasmine Navarro who I spent a lot of sleepovers as children with was a huge fan and made me listen to everything in my preteen days. But Crazy For You being the regular end of the night smooch song at the youth clubs, probable meant I got my first kiss to it, and I just always love Borderline, a slice of pop perfection from days when pop music wasn't always quite so formulaic. Gonna take a deep dive and spend the next few weeks having all sorts of weird recommendations thrown at me by YouTube
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm genuinely surprised any single Madonna song could be running away with it. My shortlist is about 30 songs.
  • Yeah, I like Like a Prayer but it’s not my fave of hers. She has so many bangers across different times and sounds. Gonna have to make a bit of a list for this one.
  • The Madonna songs are good, but I dont think they will be competing for my top spot.

Incidentally, the Like A Virgin cover is one of my favourite album covers. It's just perfect.
  • Zappa request up coming.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It will be interesting to see the results of this, because Like a Prayer isn't really like most of her other songs. I wonder if it's the one song that non-Madonna fans really like. What do Madonna fans think though?
  • My simple answer to this is (Madonna) is Don’t tell me but the actual answer is more subtle than that. Really when I first heard the song I thought it was an okay faddish thing. But she performed this as a closer to the Jonathan Ross show one time

Completely unexpected and I think way after the Music era. The song was much more of a gut ping and I’ve had it as my main Madonna sonh since -even though hearing that Ross show version is more of a pain.

Outside of that song I think Hung Up is great (although that’s significantly courtesy of ABBA)

For some reason I like the elite beat agents version of Material Girl than the real one -actually I can’t listen to it without the corresponding pen movements.
  • Papa don’t preach or Material girl and hnnggg, I’ll go with....

Papa Don’t Preach.
  • Tough thing with Madonna is that she’s reinvented herself so many times, that it’s hard to pick a single track. For me, I’d say Express Yourself is probably the song I think of when I look back at her career. I’m not a huge fan, but it was a track played on MTV a lot when I was growing up, so it’s stuck with me.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Tough thing with Madonna is that she’s reinvented herself so many times, that it’s hard to pick a single track. For me, I’d say Express Yourself is probably the song I think of when I look back at her career. I’m not a huge fan, but it was a track played on MTV a lot when I was growing up, so it’s stuck with me.

Wasn't it called World In Motion?? That was real reinvention, her turning up as a rapper and stealing the show
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I've only got (the excellently named) Immaculate Collection and Ray of Light on my mp3 player, so I'm a sort of arm's length fan/admirer.  If my device had a stat tracker for listening habits I reckon it'd tell me I've listened to slightly more Cyndi Lauper over the years, but the best of Madge is approaching unbeatable.
  • Ray Of Light for me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!