The Greatest Hit. RIP
  • Facewon wrote:
    Taylor Hawkins > Lars. Jussayin.

Oh, no doubt. Foo fighters as a whole are a tighter band but I think they are just an OK band in terms of songs. Some great tracks, some good albums. But not top tier for me
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kirk Hammett is a don. Despite being a member of Metallica, surrounded by those bandmates, he still takes time to play guest/session parts on records for smaller bands. Including, famously, for San Francisco queer punk legends Pansy Division. You can imagine how well it went down (pun intended) with Metallica’s core fanbase when he guested on the For Those About to Suck Cock EP.

I mean, he played guitar on Satan by Orbital. What a tune.
  • Kirk Hammett always looked a bit embarrassed with the state of things. Him and Jason Newstead seemed quite reasonable.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly wrote:
    This celebration went well.

This thread has slowly descended into this for most acts which is why I lost interest in running it.
    Unless I pick a 90s guitar band half the post are people whinging.

Someone else can do it from now on if they like. I'm bored of it.

Apologies to the people who contribute in the spirit of the thread.

There is too much negativity at the moment I cant really be fucked with reading it in a frivolous thread as well.
  • I think it's perfectly reasonable to provide reasons why you don't want to contribute to picking a favourite track of a band. Of course, people will disagree and I suppose that's what creates lively debate and discussion.

People have such varied tastes in music that you are never going to be able to pick an act that everyone has a positive opinion of. If you want only those who have nothing but positive things to say then you're going to end up with only a few opinions and choices and the thread will end up dying anyway.

Edited for unwarranted passive aggression.
  • Sigh. I don't know, I just find it hard to be positive about anything these days.
  • Don’t despair Liv, but take a break if you need to. Everybody loves to dunk on Metallica. It’s practically a cliché these days. I think putting them up in this thread is a nice way to re-examine the back catalogue and see what made them so popular in the first place.
  • It's not really just Metallica, I expected some dunking but a growing pattern each round.

I'll pet this one run a bit longer then see where I am at with it. It will be more apparent to me as I have to read the thread twice over. There is a definite pattern.
  • Hmmmmm, so Metallica then...
    Never a huge fan. Rock was incredibly tribal back in the 80s, and the arrival of the thrash scene was largely anathema to my crowd.
    That being said, I first crossed paths with Metallica at Donnington in 85. It was their first big UK show (having only played a few club dates at the Marquee and suchlike previously), so they clearly felt they had something to prove. Hetfield baited the audience, and their set was met by and large with breathtaking indifference from the majority of punters...

For most in attendance, they were just an annoying loud noise between sets from Ratt and Bon Jovi. That being said, this was the dullest of the Monsters of Rock festivals I attended in the 80s, and if I'm honest I remember little about the whole day.

Still, they must have been doing something right, because their rise the following year, post Master of Puppets was meteoric. 
    I saw them in September of that year (86) on the Puppets tour at the Edinburgh Playhouse (with Anthrax supporting no less). I was dragged along to this by my girlfriend at the time who worked in a record shop and had a couple of free tickets. Hey, it was a night out.
    The band were a lot tighter by this point, but it was still just a tedious loud noise that did nothing for me. There was no light or shade to it, it was all so one note that it quickly became incredibly boring. A quick run through of an audience recording on YouTube only confirms this...

Hetfield had a broken arm at that point, so was on vocal duties only, with his guitar parts played by John Marshall, their guitar tech. Two weeks later, Cliff Burton was dead.

Time passed as time is want to do, and Metallica hit big with ...And Justice For All. I found this quite bewildering, because to this day it's still one of the worst produced albums of all time. Consequently zero fucks were given and the world continued to spin.

A few years later though, I remember my mate Big Pete saying to me, "So this new Metallica Black Album then. I've bought it, and it's pretty good. You should give it a listen." He wasn't wrong either. Bob Rock's titanic production had dragged them kicking and screaming into the mainstream. This was some good shit.
    Like Grem and BigIain, tickets were bought for their show at the Glasgow SECC in 92, and finally, that was the moment where it all finally came together for me. I'm revisiting it on YouTube currently, and it still stands up well to this day...

A band at the hight of their powers, firing on all cylinders and making a noise like a hurricane of sound and fury. Great gig. Went on far too long, and we left to get the last train during the fifth encore. Still, great stuff.

And then...nothing. They basically over-toured that album for the next few years, and I guess it's success finally broke them. From my point of view, they never made another great record, and they've lived on former glories for almost thirty years now.

As a postscript, the final time our paths crossed was on the Load tour in 96.
    They played a warm-up show for that tour at the Glasgow Barrowlands, and somehow Big Pete managed to blag a couple of tickets from someone he knew in the biz.

It was a terrible gig. They put an arena sized P.A. in a tiny venue, and consequently the sound was fucking appalling. An unintelligible deafening roar. But what really killed it was the setlist being stuffed with new material which was poor at best, and the band just played at a shadow of the level they'd achieved four years earlier. 
    It was over. 
    So I guess after years of flirting, in hindsight I could say I had a brief one-night-stand with Metallica back in 92, but in the cold light of day, it was just a fumble behind the bike sheds, rather than a blossoming romance.

Which brings us to a best song.
    That's a tricky one for me. If we were going by studio material, it would have to be a toss up between Enter Sandman and Wherever I may Roam...but...if I'm honest, my lasting memory is of them doing Creeping Death on the Black Album tour, in all it's "Die, Motherfucker, Die!" singalong glory. Ultimately, stupid is as stupid does, and that one wins it for me...

Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Is S&M the one they did with an orchestra?

Yeah. Apparently it’s a good watch too but I’ve never seen it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • g.man wrote:
    Hmmmmm, so Metallica then...

G, that’s a fucking A+ post. Great read.
  • The black album is definately the high point for Metallica, it's the strongest whole, and the production as noted shoots up here. However, whilst this is true, I don't think it's fair to say they've coasted ever since. Later albums have had some standout tracks, even if as a whole it can't meet the standards of the black album. I'll be posting my longlist once I've worked through all the ablums, but as an example Load has King Nothing, and Reload has Fuel.

I'd be surprised if the winnner isn't a black album track, but not that surprised, as there are plenty of great tracks elsewhere, both before and after.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gman has done criticism proper and better than anyone else so far on this. I've just been spinning shouting Ulrich is awful. That was a good read.

• To be fair, I don't have much else to do at the moment.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I can’t match G’s insight on this contest. I was never a Metallica fan. But I don’t hate them either, so …

I guess I first encountered Metallica as a schoolkid. I had a crush on the school’s ‘bad girl’ and she often wore Metallica T-shirts under her white school blouse. Album cover art showing through when I was looking at her tits, quite frankly. Master of Puppets, or … and Justice for All. (She was one of my first actual girlfriends, so it worked out in the end.)

Musically, I wasn’t all that into metal so it was Metallica’s ballads I heard most often. Nothing Else Matters and Sad But True got a fair bit of airplay on TV and I found both pleasant enough.

Getting a touch older and going to rock clubs changed things a bit. The Black Album was out. I was drunk. Enter Sandman was a fucking MONSTER of a dancefloor filler. I could get behind that.

And, eventually, I listened to more Metallica. At mates’ houses. In girls’ bedrooms. And in nightclubs. And I think I can say that I do have a favourite. My top Metallica track is One.

It’s bleak. It’s hopeless. It’s relentless. And it’s too long, by far. But it’s defiant in its heaviness, insistent in its riff. And for me, that’s the essence of Metallica.
  • Should I just call this one this afternoon and move on?
  • No. Metallica haters can fuck off and let the rest of us listen to them. 

3e9j2yp4oti11.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=ee218c010c6846afd0b439d03908d1ca4613d5a0

Moving on already from a band whos average song lengths is the above is fucking madness.
  • I'm in a better mood now after a good walk, apologies for ranting earlier.

This is the plan.
    I run Metallica until tomorrow lunchtime ish.

Tomorrow is Friday so let's have some suggestions for up beat artists again. Maybe something House, or light Hip Hop or whatever, just something with good summer vibes.

Run that until Monday, then on Monday I will do a big hitter who has been requested a fair few times before. I have decided on who this is but dont want to say so we keep focus over the weekend.
  • So Metallica contributions and up beat summer vibe suggestions for the next 24 hours please.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I was going to suggest the following which don't fully fit but meh

New Order

Beastie Boys
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I have decided on who this is but dont want to say so we keep focus over the weeknd.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I was going to suggest the following which don't fully fit but meh

New Order

Beastie Boys

I really like both, will consider them but as you say maybe not 100% right. Also I think both could carry a full week long round, especially New Order vs Joy Division.
  • To avoid getting side tracked, how about people just post about their one choice song relating to the artist so as to avoid the rest? I do like other bants around the band or singer, but fair enough, it's not really discussing the chosen acts 'top' song.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    So Metallica contributions and up beat summer vibe suggestions for the next 24 hours please.

Have we Daft Punked yet?
  • I first got into Metallica as a young teenager – an apprentice printer that my Dad employed gave me a load of pirated tapes of metal acts for my birthday – Megadeth, Anthrax, Black Sabbath and Metallica – because he knew I listened to Iron Maiden (and nothing else!).  I didn’t have a clue about music other than Maiden and listening to Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets blew my tiny denim clad mind. They were sooo heavy and I could not believe that the tracks were so long, intense and aggressive.

I loved the rough and ready (to my ears) production, the rawness of the guitars, the thunder of the drums and the growling, nasty vocals.  This was what all music should be, I thought.  I practically wore those tapes out – listening to them on the bus, on the way to school and as I lay in bed on my shitty red Alba Walkman with the orange foam earphones. 

I loved Master of Puppets the most – every song was an absolute killer, particularly Master of Puppets, The Thing that Should Not Be (which got me into Lovecraft along with Call of Ktulu from RtL) and particularly Orion – which, for the first time, made me realise that a bass guitar in the right hands is not just for laying down a rhythm and that, actually, songs didn’t need to have lyrics to actually speak to me.  You can draw a direct line between my love of Orion with my love for Mogwai and all things post-rock.

I bought …And Justice For All on tape and again, I wore it out – I didn’t even question what I now hear as absolutely appalling production.  The songs on that album were absolutely pummelling, from Blackened, to Harvester of Sorrow to the almighty One.  I fucking love that song – everything about it at the time ticked every box I needed ticked. The slow build up to furious heaviness, the clicking percussion (I couldn’t believe that those double kick drums were even possible to play by a human being!  Lol), the choppy and crunching riffing, the dense brutal basslines and the amazing (to me at the time at least) lyrics about the futility of war.

My friends and I picked every part of that song apart, we sought out and read the Dalton Trumbo book it was based on, I bought the VHS-single (after seeing the video on MTV which stunned me) and quite literally bought the T-Shirt with that awesome art by Pushead.

So, for me, although it's a close run thing between my final choice and Orion - it has to be One.
  • No. Metallica haters can fuck off and let the rest of us listen to them.  3e9j2yp4oti11.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=ee218c010c6846afd0b439d03908d1ca4613d5a0 Moving on already from a band whos average song lengths is the above is fucking madness.

I bloody love that you actually pulled a graph out.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    So Metallica contributions and up beat summer vibe suggestions for the next 24 hours please.
    Have we Daft Punked yet?
    Good shout. We haven't had them yet.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I'm a rock and metalhead, no doubt about it, though my tastes in music are super eclectic also. MEtallica where were my love of heavy music started in about 1989. I bought 'Justice' and while, yes, the production on the subsequent many re-listens isn't great, there are some absolute bangers on there. 'One' of course stands out, the opening track 'Blackened' blew me away, as it's probably among the most thrash-like songs on the album.

That led me to getting into the back catalogue, and the first 4 albums are where my tastes for Metallica have pretty much stayed ever since. I don't necessarily subscribe to the 'sellout' theory that a lot of fans have about the Black album, but I think they realised they could have a wider appeal and sell more albums with a change in music. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that direction came from Lars, as in every interview I have seen with him, he seems less bothered about the music than he was back in the day and more about the business of it all.

All that being said, my shortlist came down to:

Blackened
    Master of Puppets
    Creeping Death
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    Hit The Lights
    Seek and Destroy

While I would listen to any of these, I think the winner for me has to be Master Of Puppets - title track of what for me is their best album

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!