Movie record 2020 edition
  • The Nightingale.

Crikey. One of the darkest films I've seen for years. Unerringly brutal but very good. Lots of wincing, beautiful third-from-last shot. [8].
  • Yeah it's a great film but not one I'm rushing to go see again.

Also Fellowship is the best of the trilogy, obviously.
  • 140. You've Got Mail
    Enjoy this over Sleepless, largely because they actually interact with each other for the bulk of the movie and Meg Ryan isn't a psycho like in the other one.
    [8]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bladerunner: 2049 - the perfect sequel. Every time I watch it I appreciate it more and more. There’s one tiny thing that I can pick at around a CGI scene, but that doesn’t detract from one of the best films I’ve seen in recent years [10]
  • Heh. Vilneuve is doing Dune, right? That’s out end of the year?

Just earlier today actually I was looking at getting the book to read before the film. Will be my first Folio Society purchase.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep. Really looking forward to it. Been many a year since I read Dune. How much is the Folio Edition? They are great books. Bought my daughter Gatsby from there a couple years ago.
  • £80 I think. I’m gonna get one or two here and there.
  • The Sum of All Fears
    Definitely the worst Jack Ryan thriller. Affleck’s wooden. Freeman’s phoning it in.

Zodiac
    Top-notch serial killer procedural from Fincher with an excellent cast, but it’s at least half an hour too long.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    The Sum of All Fears
    Definitely the worst Jack Ryan thriller. Affleck’s wooden. Freeman’s phoning it in.

Yep. I think Clear and Present Danger is the best of the films for me.
  • I've never watched Sum of all Fears.
    My memory of it was staying in a villa on holiday. The place had a TV and DVD player that played a selection of copied DVDs one of which was SoaF.

My parents put it on one evening but the audio didn't work. They sat and watched the whole thing silent, didnt even have subtitles. I have no idea why they did that. I was reading The Shining.

The thing that made it doubly surreal was that a hurricane was approaching so as time went on the wind got loader and loader while a silent Morgan Freeman did his thing.
  • Gotta love holiday home DVDs. Still my favourite thing to look at when going to an Airbnb. Usually a bunch of kids films and one or two that really fuck just to they're you off
  • Gotta love holiday home DVDs. Still my favourite thing to look at when going to an Airbnb. Usually a bunch of kids films and one or two that really fuck just to they're you off
    Are you having a stroke?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • *throw you off.

But maybe, who knows.
  • 141. I'm Thinking Of Ending Things
    Like a lot of Kaufman it gives a lot to think about and it's nice to watch something that lingers in the mind and makes you think. Didn't quite come off as good as his others but still enjoyed it. Probably shouldn't have watched it tired.
    [8]
  • 8 for me too but a friend has been texting me towards a 9.
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ready Player One  - was really disappointed when I went to see this at the cinema. Watched it recently again and enjoyed it a lot. Just light hearted fun Easter egg hunting. They film part of it nearby in Brum and the film crew were in an empty lot next door to my apartment. They used to go in my local, but I never spotted Spielberg. Trufax. [8]

Terminator 2 - what needs to be said. Ultimate action film. Probably the best. Pacing is spot on. Took the original and flipped it perfectly, cemented phrases into popular culture that are still around today. And the carefully crafted effects are still, for the most part, very good. [10]
  • 59. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 6 Sept
    Thought the kids might get bored due to lots of exposition and not as much action (until the end), but they were fine. I still like it.
    [7]
  • 132. The Debt Collector 2
    Scott Adkins high kicks his way through this entertaining sequel as French and Sue reunite to recoup some more big monies. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    8 for me too but a friend has been texting me towards a 9.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
  • Wow, that's fantastic.
    Spoiler:
  • 33. Starship Troopers
    First time I've watched this since I had it on VHS. Why on earth did I wait so long? It's utterly, utterly brilliant. How the fuck did Verhoeven ever convinced them to give him all that money to make a film about space Nazis? Must be one of greatest satires ever made. (9)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s is simply brilliant. Watched it at the cinema and was blown away.
  • I couldn't believe just how good it was though. I obviously didn't appreciate the depth of it at the time - I remember thinking that it was a so bad it's good kind of film. But actually, it's just a great film - there's nothing in there that isn't absolutely calculated and there for a reason.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agreed. I would guess most of the subtle messaging would’ve been lost on the American audience when it released.
  • Movie is great.  The Heinlein book is sitting on my shelf. I normally do my reading on daily commute so my book reading has halted since mid-March otherwise I would’ve read it by now.
  • Project Power
    These B-tier action flicks remind me so much of straight-to-video ’80s fare that I’m gonna start calling them straight-to-Netflix movies.
  • 34. I'm Thinking of Ending Things
    Intense, atmospheric and overall successful adaptation of the book - really unsettling throughout with some fantastic performances.
    ( 8 )
  • Gremill wrote:
    33. Starship Troopers
    First time I've watched this since I had it on VHS. Why on earth did I wait so long? It's utterly, utterly brilliant. How the fuck did Verhoeven ever convinced them to give him all that money to make a film about space Nazis? Must be one of greatest satires ever made. (9)

Stunning effects too, obviously had one of the best SFX consultant on set to help film it right. Amazing how it holds up. I've been thinking of doing a rewatch
  • The liberal parents and stuff about citizenship, the othering, jingoism and hoo-rah American footballism I can understand if people didn’t “get” - but then Doogie Howser goose-steps onto screen as psychic space SS at the end so I can’t forgive anyone who doesn’t grok that it’s satire.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!