Movie record 2020 edition
  • Yeah the 80s one. It would have scared me too, there's some really creepy imagery in there. But, like most things, I saw The Simpsons lampoon it before I saw the actual thing so that affects it somewhat.
  • What Men Want

I wanted something that I could fall asleep to.
    I stayed awake enough to finish it. Wasn't awful but totally forgettable. The very essence of "meh"
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 68. Akira - 8 Oct
    4K rerelease on the big screen, and what an experience it was! Some blurry bits here and there but overall picture quality was decent, but that sound! That booming soundtrack! Amazing!
    Akira was my very first anime movie - back in the early ’90s when it aired on national TV, it introduced me to anime. Still has it. Still (almost) the best. Time I invested in the manga.
    Can we get Ghost in the Shell next please?!
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Classic. Have it on Apple movies in 4K
  • Cool. Was gonna hit the local odeon to watch that this week but the screenings were too early. I’ve got a UHD of it ready to go instead.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Seems very odd to have tried to force it to 4K imo, and most of the people I've seen talking about it seem to think it's a weird selling point.
  • Yeah I wasn’t impressed by the picture, in fact looked bad in places, but mostly alright. Wasn’t fussed about it being in 4K, just eager to see my favourite film on the big whenever I can. This time last year I sat through the (final?) recut of Apocalypse Now in Odeon Leicester Square, one of my top 10 movies. Loved it.
  • I was looking at some comparison pics the other day, they’ve done a different remaster for the Japanese release vs the western. Not sure what looks better, the Japanese release seems darker. I’ll see if I can find a link.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Pretty sure the 4K is just a wrapper. It seems a common tactic at the moment. You should be able to see films that have had a real 4K treatment. Also, HDR has more impact than just 4K.
  • 141. Jackass: The Movie
    Johnny K and the gang hit the big screen with their wholesome jokes and japes. A first watch for me, I would tune in to catch the TV show on occasions but the big screen adventures passed me by. Dated now the whole prank genre has moved on but it's a fun watch, and who doesn't want to see Steve-O try to cross an alligator infested pool with chicken hanging outta his ass? 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Pretty sure the 4K is just a wrapper. It seems a common tactic at the moment. You should be able to see films that have had a real 4K treatment. Also, HDR has more impact than just 4K.

Yeah, seems that the current UHD is overcropped and just remapped HDR. Although there may be an actual remaster on the way in December:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=27435

Edit:

Seems like GiTS has been given better treatment:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ghost-in-the-Shell-4K-Blu-ray/271781/
  • The Personal History of David Copperfield
    Altogether too much whimsy, but charming nevertheless. Tilda Swinton and Benedict Wong are the standouts.
  • Benedict Wong often is.
  • So’s Swinton. Two great value ensemble actors, there.
  • I have a weird thing with Swinton where I think I dont like her but that opinion has been formed from seeing her in movies where she plays a total cunt. So in saying I don't like her is I guess actually praising her as an actor.

I definitely had a an obsession with The Beach as a teenager.
  • Constantine. She’s incredible in Constantine. Steals the entire movie.
  • Stormare’s devil is up there though.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Constantine. She’s incredible in Constantine. Steals the entire movie.

Someone had to tbf.

• poprock wrote:
    The Personal History of David Copperfield Altogether too much whimsy, but charming nevertheless. Tilda Swinton and Benedict Wong are the standouts.

"Wonderful woman... very kind"
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 39. Murder on the Orient Express
    Entertaining and stylish adaptation by and starring Branagh. I hope he follows it up with Death on the Nile, because I really enjoyed this far more than I thought I would - fantastic cast too. (7)
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just got enough energy here to say Benedict Wong is great and I never knew he was from Manchester.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Whaaat?

*the Manchester bit
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well, Eccles to be specific.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    My Dad is from Eccles. He's great too.
  • Gremill wrote:
    39. Murder on the Orient Express
    Entertaining and stylish adaptation by and starring Branagh. I hope he follows it up with Death on the Nile, because I really enjoyed this far more than I thought I would - fantastic cast too. (7)

He is making Death on the Nile. Or has made. It was supposed to be out soonish anyway. Not sure when it'll get released now though

• FranticPea wrote:
    My Dad is from Eccles. He's great too.

I like their cakes
  • Gremill wrote:

He is making Death on the Nile. Or has made. It was supposed to be out soonish anyway. Not sure when it'll get released now though

I'm Currently enjoying Sir Kenneth reading Death On the Nile on Audible. Was only £1.99 yesterday.

It's really good so far!
  • Gremill wrote:

Result! I'll be looking out for it. This was my first ever watch of an Agatha Christie adaptation and I really enjoyed it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    39. Murder on the Orient Express Entertaining and stylish adaptation by and starring Branagh. I hope he follows it up with Death on the Nile, because I really enjoyed this far more than I thought I would - fantastic cast too. (7)

Saw a trailer for it last week when I went to see Akira. Can't remember if it had a release date at the end of the trailer though.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Gremill wrote:

Result! I'll be looking out for it. This was my first ever watch of an Agatha Christie adaptation and I really enjoyed it.

Have you seen Knives Out?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!