Movie record 2020 edition
  • 60. Memories of Murder - 12 Sept
    Worth watching just for the best drop kick(s) ever committed to celluloid. I didn’t actually know this was based on a real-life case. Apparently Bong kept very close to the details of the actual case. The film is great: funny, entertaining, beautiful, and with a dose of scathing commentary on S.Korea’s ability to deal with a complex serial murder case and their authorities/departments. Would love to watch it again soon. And that last scene/shot. So good. Overall, still sits below Paratise and Mother for me.
    [9]

61. Ashes of Time (Redux) - 13 Sept
    Recut, re-edited, rescored etc as original print was lost. Won’t know how much worse this is to the original, but it is still strikingly beautiful and mesmerising as Wong Kar Wai and cinematographer Christopher Doyle tend do excel in. Confusing at first, but soon gets going. Didn’t know it’s a prequel to a Chinese novel, maybe that would make it easier to digest and appreciate. Nonetheless it was entertaining enough and gets an extra point for the beauty.
    [7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • djchump wrote:
    The liberal parents and stuff about citizenship, the othering, jingoism and hoo-rah American footballism I can understand if people didn’t “get” - but then Doogie Howser goose-steps onto screen as psychic space SS at the end so I can’t forgive anyone who doesn’t grok that it’s satire.

Ha! Yeah pretty amazing costuming at the end.
  • Where can I watch Memories of Murder?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • The Platform

Spanish thriller on Netflix about a vertical prison in which food decends on a platform to each cell, those on top get first pick and those below have to survive on what gets left.
    Heavy metaphor for society but very good 90 minute watch
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 142. Pitch Black
    Shows its age and budget in a lot of ways but still quite a bit of fun. Was a favourite back in the day.
    [6]
  • 147. Doctor at Sea - 5
    Average compared to the first entry, the supporting cast just doesn't compare to Doctor in the House. James Robertson Justice saves it.

148. The Ox-Bow Incident - 8
    Powerful drama in which human morality is called upon when a posse accuse three men of cattle-rustling. Great film.

149. Bill & Ted Face the Music - 6
    About as good as it could have been. Does well to keep the spirit of the originals, well paced and never dull. The two actresses playing the daughter's are brilliant.

150. First Men in the Moon - 6
    H.G. Wells movie adaptation with stero-typical eccentric Victorian Brits present. Like Hammer Horrors, these films have an atmosphere all their own. Good fun.

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Had you seen Ox-Bow before?  Brilliant film.
  • Yeah only the once though. It is excellent!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • @Moot_Geeza thought of you watching First Men in the Moon actually. The character who plays the world's first astronaut lives in Dymchurch. Fucking Brilliant :-D
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    147. Doctor at Sea - 5
    Average compared to the first entry, the supporting cast just doesn't compare to Doctor in the House. James Robertson Justice saves it.

Powerful drama in which human morality is called upon when a posse accuse three men of cattle-rustling. Great film.

About as good as it could have been. Does well to keep the spirit of the originals, well paced and never dull. The two actresses playing the daughter's are brilliant.

H.G. Wells movie adaptation with stero-typical eccentric Victorian Brits present. Like Hammer Horrors, these films have an atmosphere all their own. Good fun.

My list

The girl playing Ted's daughter is Hugo Weaving's niece. Fun fact.
  • There’s definitely a resemblance now you mention it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly wrote:
    147. Doctor at Sea - 5

My list

The girl playing Ted's daughter is Hugo Weaving's niece. Fun fact.

I thought there was a reason I was rocking a semi
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 143. Arrietty
    The beautiful animation and art and realisation of the scale of the world almost make up for the lack of story or drive throughout the film.
    [6]

144. The Dawn Wall
    A rewatch but no less compelling. Formatting of the doco is a bit all over the place but the story and the footage keep you engaged.
    [8]
  • 62. Zodiac - 18 Sept
    Maybe I shouldn’t have watched this so soon after Memories of Murder. It’s good - watchable, ok performances, interesting; but just not as good.
    [7]
  • 145. Mulan
    Visually quite nice with a lot of colour but bland writing and iffy structure in the action sequences make it just an average movie. It's better with the songs.
    [5]

146. Moana
    Stunning animation, amazing Linny Manny songs and only a few bad jokes make this a favourite of mine.
    [9]
  • 133. Night School
    Kevin Hart goes back to school to atone for yadda yadda... I like KH but this is a weak vehicle for him. A couple of laughs but story and script get a big F for Fail. 5

134. Joker
    A very interesting take on Joker's origin story. Phoenix is mesmerising and gives an incredibly nuanced performance that outweighs the film as a whole. 8
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Two films with Jean-Louis Trintignant during a lazy afternoon yesterday. Both on DVD, both I’ve had sitting on the shelf for yonks and yonks.

63. Three Colours: Red - 19 Sept
    What a beautiful and thought provoking movie. Possibly the best of the trilogy. Gorgeous to look at and a beautiful soundtrack.
    [9]

64. The Great Silence - 19 Sept
    12 years to the month since I left my last job and a colleague had given me the DVD when I left. Just watched it! Pretty average spaghetti western, but Morricone does his thing. Shame the music doesn’t always fit the scene. Still, it becomes fairly watchable after a crap start.
    [6]
  • 35. Knives Out
    Great fun, with a brilliant cast delivering some great lines. Hugely enjoyable. ( 8 )

36. The Last Jedi
    Entertaining and spectacular, but too long and marred by a few pointless scenes and characters. Still light years better than any of the prequels. (6)
    Gamertag: gremill
  • The Gentlemen
    Fun gangster flick with an outstanding cast doing some of the daftest accents ever committed to film.
  • A friend recommended that to me yesterday, need to track it down via non-Amazon routes.
  • It’s like Guy Ritchie decided to make a parody of Guy Ritchie movies. And yet somehow, it works.
  • Cats

Watched with mates in the hope of so-bad-it's-good perfection, ended up befuddled by the entire thing.  Granted we weren't paying much attention at times, but it was hard to concentrate when most songs seemed to weigh in at a 3/10.  And it was all delivered in singsong too, even conversations between characters.  Must admit I knew nothing of Cats beforehand, bar the trailer, but I'm pretty much none the wiser now.  I wouldn't know how to score it really.  [1] maybe?
  • 65. Invasion of Astro-Monster - 24 Sept
    Far better than the last few Godzilla films. This had much better acting, pacing, and was a generally watchable film. The monsters still looked silly and there were a couple of ridiculous Zilla bits - one where he does a victory dance which is so out of place and ‘character’, and another where he looks like he’s fighting a boxing match. But otherwise this was good. Enjoyed it.
    [7]
  • Enola Holmes
    Millie Bobbie Brown is going to be an enormous movie star. Her and Henry Cavill both have charisma for miles in this. Simple fun, Sunday serial style.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Cats Watched with mates in the hope of so-bad-it's-good perfection, ended up befuddled by the entire thing.  Granted we weren't paying much attention at times, but it was hard to concentrate when most songs seemed to weigh in at a 3/10.  And it was all delivered in singsong too, even conversations between characters.  Must admit I knew nothing of Cats beforehand, bar the trailer, but I'm pretty much none the wiser now.  I wouldn't know how to score it really.  [1] maybe?

• 147. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Long time since I last watched this. Still a beautiful film and cool fights and nice storytelling.
    [8]

148. The Crazies remake
    I heard this was good. It really wasn't. Timothy Oliphant almost does enough to carry this but doesn't.
    [4]
  • 148. The Crazies remake I heard this was good. It really wasn't. Timothy Oliphant almost does enough to carry this but doesn't. [4]
    I thought Carriers, from about the same time period was the much better film. Probably a grim watch in current times tho...
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!