Unjust derision
  • monkey wrote:
    I don’t know what the stats say but I don’t think he was the most clinical striker. He would need a few chances to score. But he made sure he got those few, one way or another.

I can't remember who it was that said it, (Paul Ince is in my mind for some reason) but in response to Hoddles suggestion that Cole needed 5 chances to score, he responded that any striker getting 5 chances a game was one he'd want to play with.
    He was deadly at Newcastle. Felt like when he gets the ball he scores a goal.

Hence the chant I presume.
  • Farley's Rusks. It's only their marketing that infantilises them; they aren't brightly coloured or excessively sweet, but a fine work of biscuit for all ages.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm sure I revisited and enjoyed them about ten years ago, but haven't followed up since, I will now
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • monkey wrote:
    I don’t know what the stats say but I don’t think he was the most clinical striker. He would need a few chances to score. But he made sure he got those few, one way or another.

I can't remember who it was that said it, (Paul Ince is in my mind for some reason) but in response to Hoddles suggestion that Cole needed 5 chances to score, he responded that any striker getting 5 chances a game was one he'd want to play with.
    He was deadly at Newcastle. Felt like when he gets the ball he scores a goal.

Hence the chant I presume.

Cole was great on SWOS. Mind you so was Stewart McKimmie.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • krs wrote:
    Farley's Rusks. It's only their marketing that infantilises them; they aren't brightly coloured or excessively sweet, but a fine work of biscuit for all ages.

Yes!
  • They taste like blood. No thanks.
  • Not if you squash them down in warm milk and add muscovado sugar.
  • But that's just like saying try special K but dump a load of fruit and sugar in it first.
  • Plain rice crackers are the best, but only when slathered with loads of butter and strawberry jam
  • kneecap wrote:
    I think Starship Troopers was derided when it came out.

But now most recognize it for what it is. A stone cold classic.

I've always maintained this was a, shite film, but a good shite film. Utter tosh from start to finish, but enjoyable nonetheless.
  • RedDave2 wrote:

For me (deep breath) Lars Ulrichs of Metallicas drumming. Not only do I think he gets stick more because he is a class A wanker (wont defend that) but I love his drumming on Load - an album which also gets shit on far too much.

I think there needs to be a distinction between his drum parts and his later playing.

His recorded stuff, fills, choices etc, certainly up to black album, are absolutely iconic.

Big shout to Bob Rock production on black album.

Since then though, he's let age and a lack of focus on playing catch up with him, all while on film.

Age catches up to everyone. But his playing is embarrassing these days.

Metal drumming is either a young man's game, or you need to be dedicated.

See Virgil, who's 61 and still has it, because he's mental and works at his craft, constantly. (I could still make a 10 minute video of him making mistakes from YouTube clips though. Difference is they're very minor and never about messing up tempo, nearly all hitting rim on fast rolls.)

I mean it's a similar thing with most of the truly huge bands and their drummers, they have a certain iconic sound, but aren't necessarily the best players. See Larry mullin, ringo star, Jon ferris for obvious examples.

Roger Taylor (Queen) is a great player with a great distinctive sound, but also a tier below the absolute dons of big bands.

Its no accident that the real unfuckwithable guys have a grounding in multiple genres and the big hitters of pre rock n roll era.

Bonham, baker, Copeland, pert.

Moon gets a lower tier imo for (whispers) kinda doing the same fill, like, all the time.

Anyhoo, I could go on. And I havent touched any fo the Don clinician/session players.

But on the subject of drummers, Phil Collins.

Face value is an all timer of an album, which is both personal, and technically amazing. Playing is incredible. The production is spot on. He's got an awesome voice. I will fucking fight anyone who shits on Phil without a acknowledging how boss it is.

https://youtu.be/IRsjYtrcQd0

https://youtu.be/faeoPxoLxEs

Horns from Jerry hey. The fucking boss of all horn section guys.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Tell 'em, Face!

Yea!!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    'Hello, I must be going' is an all timer too.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    kneecap wrote:
    I think Starship Troopers was derided when it came out.

But now most recognize it for what it is. A stone cold classic.

I've always maintained this was a, shite film, but a good shite film. Utter tosh from start to finish, but enjoyable nonetheless.

I've definitely came several times to the all gender shower scene in my youth.

And the satirisation of the industrial war machine and how the right sell patriotism was also good probably
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • kneecap wrote:
    single player MMORPG
    So an ORPG?
  • A case for.....

Dire Straits!  *groan*

They've been pigeonholed as this terribly embarrassing, bloated arena band swaggering around doing dadrock in silly headbands, and yes, that reputation isn't entirely unjustified as they did their fair share of that....but they were actually a'ight, alright?  Sultans of Swing; you can't wear it out.  Money for Nothing?  It's not the wokest character study but the riff is huge.  90% of the population seems capable of scoffing loudly at the merest hint of the opening bars of Romeo & Juliet, but that's a fucking choon too.  So what if it's a bit Magic FM and the video's crap?  

Most importantly though, moving past the the recognisable hits, they've got some deep cut album cuts.  Telegraph Road - all 14+ ludicrously good minutes of it, including each of the nineteen solos - is Stairway to Heaven³.  The Man's Too Strong is immense.  Single Handed Sailor might well be the best thing they ever recorded.  Les Boys is....well, you can't win 'em all.  

It's not all Alchemy Live, but thank God for that show too.  It may have eighties excess in abundance but the band is absolutely on fire.  And even if they were literally on fire no-one would notice because Knopfler's at the helm of the SS showboat turning everything into gold.   

Right, so let's pick one of those lesser known tracks then.  I love the shuffle of their early stuff:

And more of a gem than a hidden gem:

I LOVE IT.  The fact that I've been into them since I was barely in my teens has been a constant source of amusement for my mates.     

The Knopf's guitar chops can't be disputed - the boy can play *groan*.  And he's equally at home with gentle acoustic picking.  He's got a terrible singing voice, but I've got a thing for male singers who sound like they're struggling to hold their own tunes.  Actually, I'm going to extend this to a defence of Knopfler in general.  He churns out some MOR big riff guff, sure, there tends to be at least one example of dadswagger on each record, but the majority of his post Straits solo career has been spent beavering away at a quietly measured, Celtic influenced Americana sound.  He doesn't tend to let rip these days, but the unmistakable Knopf licks are still there.  And he's done some interesting colabs too.  He put an album out with Chet Atkins, which was unfortunately shite, but his work with Emmylou Harris is pretty damn good (chiefly thanks to the ultimate form sandpaper 'n honey vocal combo).  Plus some of his soundtrack work is good - The Princess Bride, Local Hero, Last Exit to Brooklyn; all legit.        

Two of his:

Not for everyone, but definitely for me.
  • Sultans of Swing is one of my fave tunes
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I didn't know they needed defending, but I'm with you.

Might have to fuck around and do solo sting next.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • My uncle once sold my cousins horse to Mark Knopfkers wife.

I also enjoy Dire Straits, Tunnel of Love is a BANGER and I also fucking love this, ITS SO DAMN MOODY:

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Knopfler's 'Going Home/Local Hero' tune is played at every Newcastle United home game. It doesn't get old. In fact, it's often the highlight of the match! ;)

But really, you just needed to say 'Princess Bride' and there's no more arguments needed. :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I can dig some Straits and will absolutely put some respect on Knopfler's name but that tune on the Greatest Hits (a staple in our HMV) where the chorus is him singing "wiy aye man, wiy aye man, wiy aye man" makes my toes curl.
  • Great post on Dire Straits Moot. I completely agree. May I also add that Mark Knopfler produced one of my favourite Dylan albums, Infidels? I love that album and the production is a big reason why.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • This one's for The Will 'O The Wisps Gav.

It's novelty, but that guitar tone is still chef's kiss tho.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    This thread took a sharp racist turn.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Might have to fuck around and do solo sting next.

Plz go
  • This thread took a sharp racist turn.

steady pet
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Great post on Dire Straits Moot. I completely agree. May I also add that Mark Knopfler produced one of my favourite Dylan albums, Infidels? I love that album and the production is a big reason why.

Playing on this doesn't hurt either:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!