Unjust derision
  • g.man wrote:
    Might have been the gradual change from analog to digital mastering.

Good shout.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Come to that I seem to recall actually checking in cds for the little labels. It was 3 letters. AAD, or the like, letting you know how each part of process was done.

Trying to recall the one I had suggested to me was the best. I think ADD. But fuck knows. I was young and this is memory.

To google.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARS_code

There it is. Now to see what the deal was.
  • Yeah, used to love me a good SPARS code. Was a never ending source of amusement, winding up vinyl enthusiasts who would endlessly drone on about the warmth of their analogue medium without realising that so much, if not all of the process involved in the recordings they were harping on about was actually now digital.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • lol, yep. The actual answer just appears to be, get better at recording stuff by whatever means.
  • Peter Crouch and Owen Hargreaves.

I only ever saw Hargreaves play for England before his move to Old Trafford. Usually played out of position and often the target of shout-at-the-telly pub scorn. Then came the gradual realisation that he was an excellent player, then his knee went. All in 12 months or so iirc.
  • Hanson.
    Guilty of being too good too young? Plenty of good stuff on their earlier albums, and recent albums Anthem and Shout it Out are really good - Shout it Out in particular has some great tracks and I would strongly recommend anyone looking for some funky pop-rock gives it a try.

And for the fans of an old classic with a modern classical twist.... ;)
    https://youtu.be/uGeps1YNmZY
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Hanson. Guilty of being too good too young? Plenty of good stuff on their earlier albums, and recent albums Anthem and Shout it Out are really good - Shout it Out in particular has some great tracks and I would strongly recommend anyone looking for some funky pop-rock gives it a try. And for the fans of an old classic with a modern classical twist.... ;) https://youtu.be/uGeps1YNmZY

100% That with strings album is good.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I don't have a problem with Mrs Brown's Boys the show per se, though I've never raised a grin at it and am puzzled at how things in it which are not jokes, just sort of vague utterances, get big laughs on it. It's as though the audience is so breathlessly ready to laugh they'll jump on anything vaguely resembling a joke and laffriot til they run out of breath again. Props to O'Carroll for whipping them into such a state, that's some large scale Derren Brown shit. It's just some silly people making a silly show about a shouty man in a dress. I'm sure it's loaded with clever Gaelic symbolism but that's lost on me.

No, rather it's the tireless and aggressively cheerful types who rave about it everywhere they can and routinely yell/keymash through bared teeth/fingers that anyone who doesn't find it funny needs a humour transplant. Presumably this idea of transplanting a loosely defined concept as though it is an actual organ is so clever that you should beat anyone who criticises MBB over the head with it and that's how you win, I guess.

It's the fans that suck. Tool, which I like, have the same problem, bloody enthusiasts ruining it for everyone.

Anyway the real question is why are all the Cadbury fans so snobby about Red Tulip? Yes it tastes like someone mashed some pomade, shoepolish and sugar into a paste and somehow got it to set, but it's fine! Get over yourselves Cadbury snobs, nothing wrong with a bit of potentially inedible Red Tulip. Face knows what I'm talking about.

I reckon snobbery is unfairly derided.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Vast majority of stuff here deserves all the derision it gets
  • Skerret wrote:
    It's the fans that suck. Tool, which I like, have the same problem, bloody enthusiasts ruining it for everyone

hqdefault.jpg
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I can't believe magic HiFi rocks get such a bad rap
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    del boy stew, he was vertical, and then he was horizontal

It rather depends which rocks you get, Rocko. Some are extra magic, and they make the soundstage the size of a giant Toblerone, but others are less magic and make it the size of a Freddo Frog (a small one).
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I watched Pixels with the kids tonight. I avoided it previously because of reviews, but I belive its derision was unjust. It is fun, I enjoyed it and the special effects were well realised.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I've just got in and I'm very drunk but I have legitimate beef with the fact that this is no longer considered the stone cold classic rock ballad it so clearly is

Most of yer more recent ballad bands couldn't even fucking play it.
  • m8 we all said we love dire straits, drop the beef innit
  • You lot are cool though.  It's the IRL'ers that do me in.
  • My final animated movie for my uni course was heavily influenced by the Money for Nothing video.

I'm not sure I really clicked at the time, I had MTV at home from a young age so I guess it just worked it's way in.

It is on youtube somewhere. Over the years I have been lazy by just using my name to find stuff but it turns out some american with my name is now carving an influencer career.

• I was telling some youngsters at work about Aeon Flux today after someone started on about groundbreaking animation and Akira. They said they'd never heard of it, so I said, yeah it was on MTV, one of them went, "hah, MTV, wow". That was a turning point for me in terms of aging.
  • Yeah MTV havent been good in a long, long time.
    The rot started near 20 years ago with Cribs and The Osbournes (both ok but set the trend).

My mate cuts promos for them. He loves working there, it still has a loose attitude to things but it is all reality TV he is cutting. He enjoys the work because it is free wheeling but has no interest I the actual shows.
  • MTV wasn't even that good, it was MTV2 that was hot
  • MTV2 just played Foo Fighters on repeat.
  • MTV Base was the real money melon.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • 90's MTV was good, they had a Big Breakfast type show in the afternoons when you came in from school that had all yer Pulps/Supergrasses/Blurs/Gallaghers on there being wacky and playing tunes 'an that. 

Was alright.

They had 'MTV Europe News' as well, to tell you about Rammstein's latest gig at the Frankfurt Auditorium, Ace of Base's comeback record or to give you a tour around Holland's latest Gabba festival. All the presenters tended to have an 'Allo, Allo-esque grasp of English also, which was nice.

Plus they screened The Tick and Daria.
  • Celebrity Deathmatch was fantastic. I'm pretty sure they wouldnt get away with it now.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Hanson. Guilty of being too good too young? Plenty of good stuff on their earlier albums, and recent albums Anthem and Shout it Out are really good - Shout it Out in particular has some great tracks and I would strongly recommend anyone looking for some funky pop-rock gives it a try. And for the fans of an old classic with a modern classical twist.... ;) https://youtu.be/uGeps1YNmZY
    100% That with strings album is good.

Just wanted to pop back in here to say that their 'String Theory' album is golden. 23 tracks and pretty much no filler.
    Maybe it's just a sign of the stuff i normally listen to, but it feels almost weird to listen to an album where so much is positive and joyful.

I dare you all to buy it and give it a go, since everyone i've tried to recommend it to IRL can't get past "Hanson? mmbop...lol!"
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Less mmbop, more hockey

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • ’Mon the Hanson Brothers! I have a deskbeer and now I have pop punk. Friday is on.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    krs wrote:
    Farley's Rusks. It's only their marketing that infantilises them; they aren't brightly coloured or excessively sweet, but a fine work of biscuit for all ages.

I much prefer these
    1e4f3dd6ea14402c988964a75a13560c.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!