Ridge Racer
    Time Crisis
    Secret of Mana
    Powerstone
    Sega Rally
    NiGHTS
    Super Probotector/Contra III
    Streetfighter 2

Honourable mentions: Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Thunderforce 4, Super Aleste, Zelda: LTTP, Jumping Flash, Wipeout/Wipeout 2097, Brian Lara Cricket ‘98, ISS Pro ‘98, Kulaworld, Mr Driller, Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, Sonic 1/2/3, Radiant Silvergun, Strikers 1945 II, Neo Turf Masters, Actua Golf, John Madden ‘94, Decap Attack, Doom, Hexen, Micromachines, Super Castlevania IV/ SOTN, Bangai-O, Metal Slug, Windjammers, EA Hockey, World Cup ‘94, Muscle Bomber, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Burning Rangers, Soul Calibur, Parappa the Rappa, Tenchu, Yoshi’s Island

Ordered?
  • Fwiw I'd say the Street Fighter II entry should cover all iterations of 'SFII', be that WW, CE, SCE, Turbo or whatever, but when the Super prefix arrived it became a different game. House rules final so wotevs but opinion given.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    LarryDavid wrote:
    Super Tennis
    Super Mario Kart
    Ridge Racer
    Time Crisis
    Secret of Mana
    Powerstone
    Sega Rally
    NiGHTS
    Super Probotector/Contra III
    Streetfighter 2

Honourable mentions: Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Thunderforce 4, Super Aleste, Zelda: LTTP, Jumping Flash, Wipeout/Wipeout 2097, Brian Lara Cricket ‘98, ISS Pro ‘98, Kulaworld, Mr Driller, Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, Sonic 1/2/3, Radiant Silvergun, Strikers 1945 II, Neo Turf Masters, Actua Golf, John Madden ‘94, Decap Attack, Doom, Hexen, Micromachines, Super Castlevania IV/ SOTN, Bangai-O, Metal Slug, Windjammers, EA Hockey, World Cup ‘94, Muscle Bomber, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Burning Rangers, Soul Calibur, Parappa the Rappa, Tenchu, Yoshi’s Island

Ordered?

Yeah, you can have the first ten as my list.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Apologies reg, it looks like I've made a boob. I've just realised it was civ II, not the original that I was remembering. Are you happy for me to change my vote?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    How did I miss this list-me-do?

I'm on it.

Ranked top 10 then:

1. Mario 64 - how could it be anything else? Even if you don't like platforming, technically and design wise it is astounding. Look at the leap from SMW to this - truly revolutionary and I doubt any other game house could have done it. Halo or not, this was the game of its generation. It just happened to fill me with wonder while coaxing Wifey to pro-actively set up a console and play while I was out. Set the template for the genre.

2. F-Zero X - my "best ever" arcade style racing game. Speed/shield risk reward trade off, excellent speed, 30 car pack, great tracks, great control,effective rumble - a rare thing, cheesy music, the X cup's algo-generated tracks. More please.

3. Super Mario World - best 2D platformer ever. There. I've said it.

4. Worms Armageddon (PC)- Endless LAN or same screen MP. It's turn based rules allows for endless back stabbing and broken promises. Inspired and never bettered. Deeper than Bomberman, Pacman Vs and Warlords - its only x4 MP local rivals.

5. DoDonPachi (Saturn,MAME) - best 2D shooter ever. There. I've said it.

6. Doom 2 (PC) - genius level design, enemy behaviour that inspired both fear and laughter. Played it. "Beat" it. Played it again on Ultra Voilence.

7. Tempest 2000 (Saturn). Sits alongside Outrun C2C and Pacman CE as best ever updates. T2K beats those two. Only bit of genius Minter ever came up with but it's enough.

8. Pilotwings - a tech demo perhaps. But it somehow resulted in being a compelling blend of flying sim and arcade game with an old school teasing progression system. I was obsessed with this and I still want more.

9. Chaos Engine (SNES). Gauntlet and dungeon crawling makeover. Love the design. Sure there's some memory involved but it still remains fun. The character selection results in tactical changes and the CPU helper in 1 player is half decent.

10. BOWEP (PC). Lovely little package of puzzle games that burned up the hours like nothing else on office PCs.  A solid, official Tetris game is in there but it's backed up by gems such as Chip's Challenge (A tile slider originally on the Atari Lynx), a clutch of Solitaire games (inc. the skillful Freecell but all with Vegas rules that gave them a real hook), tile matching with Taipei and some simple action games like the compulsive Qix-inspired-but-better Jezzball and Skiing. Classic entertainment. :)

If you want more text for each game from me then go here:
    http://thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/1145378#Comment_1145378
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 1) Ocarina Of Time
    2) Mario 64
    3) Super street fighter 2 turbo
    4) Super MARIO Word
    5) Tetris
    6) North and South
    7) Champ man 96-97
    8) shadow run (SNES)
    9) Goldeneye
    10) ISS2000 (if that doesn’t count then ISS64)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • If we're lumping SF2 iterations then Doom and Doom 2 should totally be combined.
  • SF2 iterations can probably be lumped, but Super SF2 is radically different so that and Super Turbo go together.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Each iteration of the Alpha/Zero games are very different though.
  • Yep, alpha 3 is very different to 2.

Is it not fair to use the companies own thinking - sf2, CE, hyper, super and super x are all the same basic game, alpha is its own series?

I can't remember which is doom and which is doom 2 so I guess I'd agree with that argument from nick.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I got reg'd too :cry:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not lumping sf2 games coz then we get into civ / civ 2 or sim city / sim city 2000 or champ man arguments and the latter will just blow dark soldier's my mind.
  • My only locked in vote is Super Street Fighter II Turbo: The New Challengers: Hyper Fighting Champion Edition.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Edited my post. Top 10 ranked.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not so sure we do, seems more likely that we end up splitting the SF vote across different iteration. I'd have thought the easy split would SF2, Alpha, SF33S
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Crazy talk.

It came out 10 months after the original and tbh is an expansion pack, imo. That's not a disservice to the game btw.
  • I just want og Doom in the list, basically.
  • I'd go with Cocko's suggestion.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    1. Super Metroid
    2. Championship Manager 97/98
    3. Zelda: OoT
    4. Half Life
    5. Wipeout
    6. Speedball 2
    7. Sensible Soccer
    8. Doom
    9. System Shock 2
    10. Unreal Tournament
  • Is there any consensus on having just one Zelda game or one Mario etc? Cos otherwise my list will just be filled with Mario and Zelda.

Think I’ll limit myself to one 2D and one 3D for Mario and Zelda.
  • I always limit myself to one from a series, unless they are radically different.
  • Hmmm. To me, Oot is just LttP but in 3D. But Mario 64 structure and way it plays is hugely different to SMW. I think. 

Bah.
  • I wouldn't limit myself in your position, they're all different enough to warrant votes if they'd make your ten (Mario/Zelda).
  • Reg, my confirmed list:

1. Gunstar Heroes (MD) 2D run and gun perfection with glorious graphics really accessible gameplay, memorable bosses and a great gun mechanic that let's you mix up gun attributes. Can play it coop and unlike Probotector it's doable without save states.

2. Streets of Rage 2 (MD) Still the finest example of its genre and like Gunstar Heroes still enjoyable today.

3. Street Fighter 2 Turbo (SNES) So many memories and one of my biggest wow moments seeing this on a home console (Soul Calibur being the biggest)

4. Goldeneye (N64) Needless to say probably the reason I didn't do as well at University as I hoped too.

5. Micromachines 2 (MD) Memories of running home from school to play this. Inspired J-cart 4 player fun. Still forms part of my games evening socials today

6. Sega Rally (Saturn) As barebones as it gets but what a handling model and I could time trial this forever.

7. Powerstone (DC) Unheralded on its DC launch this is the definitive multilayer brawler. I would love a remake of the original with a 4 player mode. Powerstone 2 lost its focus and didn't do it for me.

8.Guardian Heroes (Saturn) More Treasure magic with multiple paths RPG elements and a moves list more akin to a 2d one on one fightman's. Just writing this makes me think I'm due a revisit!

9. Gran Turismo (PS) Another wow moment. Came out of nowhere to become one of my biggest time sinks ever. Fond memories of my Mitsubishi FTO LM Edition and TVR Cerbera tearing around Trail Mountain

10. Eternal Champions Challenge From The Darkside(MCD). Think I've banged on about this game enough over the years. Poor animation aside I still love this game and revisit it regularly. As a 13 year old I couldn't afford the MD game on release and ended up permanently renting from my local video store. Pre-release I pretty much read as much as I could, I loved the variety of the characters and thought the back stories to each character were really engaging. It never was the Streetfighter beater it was heralded as but I love it so much and invested in the MCD version which improves on everything (including the originals impossible final boss). I would love a remake or even a cross over with something like Mortal Kombat but appreciate this will never happen. Happy memories though
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • never played 2097, ds?

It’s debatable whether wip3out or 2097 is best, but it definitely isn’t the first one
  • I think on balance its 3 thats the better game, but 2097 had more impact.
  • I’d agree with that

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!