Game of the decade 1990-1999
  • Man Unreal Tournament is a fucking shout. The way it made 1 player fun made quake 3s death match uniformity seem dumb. The mode where a team completes a mission and the other has to complete it faster is also great.

I know there are formally some similar things between ocarina and lttp but I think it’s off saying they are similar or the same game. The ideas of freedom and being in a space completely smash anything in lttp.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    never played 2097, ds? It’s debatable whether wip3out or 2097 is best, but it definitely isn’t the first one

I've only ever played the first, had a Saturn. Rinsed the living fuck out of it for a year.
  • 2097 is my fave.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's 1990 to 1999 guys.
  • Post on page 1 updated with my final list. Repeated here.

Only one game from a series, self-imposed rule.

1. Zelda: Link to the Past
    2. Super Mario 64
    3. Super Metroid
    4. Terranigma
    5. Final Fantasy 7
    6. Actraiser
    7. Chrono Trigger
    8. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    9. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    10. Tomb Raider
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd love to get into fighting games but just cant. Find them frustrating. I love their presentation though. Sf2 turbo on snes has to be one of the experiences of that gen. 90s saw so many updates though... alpha 2 and 3rd strike have to be up there? 3rd strike sneaks in as 99 in the arcade. Saturn alpha 2 is a beaut.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm entry level Tekken. Fun with mates, couldn't be bothered learning all the combos to get good at it.
  • I rinsed Tekken 2 so much that I really didn’t want to play Tekken 3. In fact, haven’t played any Tekken much ever since.
  • Fuck I forgot Streets of Rage 2 so I think I'm going to have to change my list.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think I'm gonna change my 9 & 10 but reg can you add my top 8??
  • Just a suggestion - if we are doing 2000 to 2009, should we maybe do a top game for each year? Might not be as noticeable as this decade but 10 years is huge in games. In 2000-09 you go from the very start of the ps2 era (so plenty of dreamcast in there) to pretty much the main part of the 360/ ps3 era. There's just too much lovely stuff in there.
    SFV - reddave360
  • FINAL
    1. Day of the Tentacle
    2. Super Mario World
    3. ISS Pro 98 
    4. Monkey Island 2
    5. Gunstar heroes
    6. Super Mario Kart
    7. Tetris 
    8. NHLPA 93 / EA Hockey
    9. Tekken 3
    10. Worms

Honourable Mentions
    Streets of Rage 2
    Castle of illusion
    Madden
    Sim City
    Another World
    Flashback
    Bonanza Bros
    Micro Machines
    GTA   
    Asterix
    Colin McRae Rally
    Super Bomberman
    Thunderforce 3
    UN Squadron
    Aladdin

Less Honourable Mentions - Because games don't have to be good to be great.
    Coolboarders 
    Spider-man (Megadrive)
    Sunset Riders
    NBA Jam
  • Spiderman is jank by more recent standards, but at the time it was great. I played the MS game first. Not so good. Always fancied giving rhe Mega CD version a go.
  • Not my final answer, just getting something down:

Doom
    Beatmania IIDX
    Street Fighter 2
    Mario World
    Lylat Wars
    Blast Corps
    Grand Theft Auto
    Zelda III
    StarCraft
    Sensible World of Soccer

...can't imagine the top three will change much; tbh I've probably put 3x as many hours into iidx than any other title, but I'm trying to approach this sensibly.
  • In terms of most influential and zeitgeist (urgh) shit, Doom wins this race hands down, fucking defined a generation.
  • Is there a game more deserving of a sequel than Blast Corps? Fucked if I can think of one.
  • Blast Corps 2.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Another Glorious Day in the Corps.
  • Are people posting only games they played during that decade, or including games from the decade that they played long after?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Are people posting only games they played during that decade, or including games from the decade that they played long after?
    I'm posting games released in the decade that I obsessed over, so they might not be the best games objectively, but they're the ones that game me the most enjoyment.
  • Vela wrote:
    Are people posting only games they played during that decade, or including games from the decade that they played long after?

I'd definitely do both if anything I played as a retro title cracked the 10.  Closest for me would've been Super Punch Out and A Link to the Past I think.
  • Reread. Good enough. It's a lock Jerry.
    Facewon wrote:
    Final
    1-5

Goldeneye. Before halo, this was the jam. I played doom at a mate's place, and that got me down with fps, but GE was something else again. The silenced pistol, the animations for body shots. Just sublime. Hours and hours into it. Never mind the mp. Insane fun.

(pd would be in here too if it wasn't 2000 release. Because oh my, all of the above, plus an insane weapon set.)

Blast corps. Platinum baby. On everything. Genius premise, that allows for a fun, tense, explosive first run through. Then it turns into a masochistic time attack puzzle game requiring blurry pixel perfect angles. Soooo good.

Gran tourismo. Hadn't been a big car guy either in games or in life until this. Handling incredible. The, dare I say it, realism. Cars that felt like they were actually touching a road. I would actually watch some replays. What a time sink. (once again, if 2000 was in then cm2.0 surpasses it in every in game respect.)

Tenchu. Just my jam. MGS is amazing, see later. But I was always a bit rubbish and/or kojima controls cameras and plethora of options was too much for me. This stripped things back. I recall hammering one of the late middle levels, which could be done very quickly, and just spending an hour scouring every last bit and taking out everyone. LIKE A FUCKING NINJA. oh yeah.

Panzer dragoon saga. By the time I played it, I think dreamcast and even Xbox might have been out, had a chipped saturn and a burnt CD copy.

4 fucking cds worth. Mainly for cutscenes lol.

Opening cutscene gave me wood. Vibe and a half.

In game graphics varied between awesome (dragon morphing) and awful (background trees made of flat pixels the size of my fist.)

Fight mechanics were clever, but never quite challenging enough.

But man, I still remember so much of the game. Just being in the world and all the feels.

5-10

MGS. Never got real good at it. Played it through a number of times. And when the going got tough, I laboured through bosses, in particular. But still, the kojima styles were amazing at the time.

Chrono cross. Only 2 cds. But could have switched this with panzer. Graphically, a big step up. Super pretty hand drawn backgrounds. A fighting system that actually did some cool stuff and worked. And was the right side of challenging.

Just a lovely world which I spent hours and hours in. (as I recall, I had this at a time when I'd copped a nasty bout of bronchitis. Had a year from hell off and on being sick for a month at a time. 13 hour days on this.)

Xi (devil's dice) so fucking addictive. Perfect puzzler. Legit brain ending puzzles that you could take your time with, on top of the main infinite mode that could eat days. Sublime.

Mario 64. Never big on Mario as a character. Never excited by the worlds, but can't knock the movement and inventiveness here. Real good.

Parasite eve. One of the wins of chipped ps1. Wasn't released in Oz for aaaaages. Got in early from my pirate guy. Loved the shorter length, the locale and the fighting system. Just a cracker of a game. (if vagrant story wasn't 2000, it would probably replace.)

Alsorans for now:

Banjo kazooie
    Silent hill
    Mariocart 64
    Driver
    THPS
    Doom

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Let me know if I need to adjust old post too, reg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I really liked Blast Corps at first - the premise is brilliant - but I didn't like some of the fiddlier vehicles which ultimately put me off.

It really does deserve a followup of some sort.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Spiderman is jank by more recent standards, but at the time it was great. I played the MS game first. Not so good. Always fancied giving rhe Mega CD version a go.
    Yeah it’s ropey now. What I still like it for is how it makes a solid effort at doing the full lot of powers instead of just a bog-standard platformer with webs instead of guns. Best effort until the PS2 one I reckon. Might give that Mega CD one a look. I’ve never played the PS1 one from the first film either.
  • The Neversoft game? It was decent but I didn't think it was as good as some reviews suggested.
  • Wow. Had a moment of panic. Realising that some dreamcast games did make cut had to double check on MSR. got delayed. So released in 2000, but could have been 99 if they were on schedule.

Strong consideration would have been given.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Wow. Had a moment of panic. Realising that some dreamcast games did make cut had to double check on MSR. got delayed. So released in 2000, but could have been 99 if they were on schedule. Strong consideration would have been given.

Didnt check the year but it was a contender for me as well. Pretty much what you wrote for Gran Turismo was my feelings for MSR. Was an eye opener.
    SFV - reddave360
  • https://youtu.be/8OTEIvHthjE

Wow. In both a good and bad way.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!