Gods & Monsters: The Prometheus Thread (Mahooosive Spoilers!)
  • You're all a bunch of seriously whiny faggots.
  • Yeah, but special films do get made. I just wish there were more of them. Actually, I wish more people were smarter, like me and demanded more from their cinema :D
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Plenty of good stuff came out last year. Take Shelter and We Need To Talk About Kevin being absolutely brilliant even if barely anybody saw either of them.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I read somewhere that Dark Knight has a gaping hole when Batman just leaves the Joker at the party with hundreds of guests with no explanation for why he didn't slash up someone else. I can't recall thgh, I've not seen it since the cinema release.

He jumped from the building to save Rachel after Joker threw her out the window, I suppose he thought that was enough, showman that he was.

Which is gonna be more disappointing? Prometheus or The Dark Knight Rises?
  • You liked them.

EDIT:  Tempy.
  • Yes, that is pretty much how opinions work. I also liked The Raid.

TheDJR wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I read somewhere that Dark Knight has a gaping hole when Batman just leaves the Joker at the party with hundreds of guests with no explanation for why he didn't slash up someone else. I can't recall thgh, I've not seen it since the cinema release.

He jumped from the building to save Rachel after Joker threw her out the window, I suppose he thought that was enough, showman that he was.

But then, how does the Joker get away? Should probably watch it again I guess.

• We need to talk about Kevin made me want to slash my wrists. In a good way.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Tempy wrote:
    That's why they see Nolan as a genius.. He's telling complicated stories.
    They aren't that complicated really. Inception was... good but a little lacklustre. I read somewhere that Dark Knight has a gaping hole when Batman just leaves the Joker at the party with hundreds of guests with no explanation for why he didn't slash up someone else. I can't recall thgh, I've not seen it since the cinema release.

In general the story required more thinking that your normal popcorn festival. I'm not saying it was a genius film, I'm saying that it went above the usual 3 act nonsense that is at the kinema nowadays.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Tempy wrote:
    Yes, that is pretty much how opinions work. I also liked The Raid.

So stop banging on about what's good and what isn't.  Granted, I'm having a bad day but by fuck between this and the E3 thread the amount of boo hoo faggotry on display in this place is enough to drive me to violence.
  • Calm down poppet, just skip my posts.
  • It's not just you, bright eyes.
  • The popcorn I had was shit too.
  • Stringer Bell and the two pilots deciding to sacrafice themselves for the greater good could've been a film in itself. The last third was all over the place and just a rush of shit. I liked it though. I was hoping for one well thought out film to tie things up, but looks it looks like I'll just have to wait for a sequel. I'm sure we'll get to LV426 someday.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • http://www.t3.com/features/ridley-scott-reveals-prometheus-secrets-to-t3

Found this article/interview earlier today. It goes a short way to explaining what Ridley's intentions were but it also shows just how wrong they got it. They talk about how everyone still discusses whether Rickard is a replicant or not and say they were trying for that with the black goo, as in what does it do?! But the replicant argument naturally evolved from Blade Runner, trying to emulate it in Prometheus just made it seem so half-baked and in-complete.

Plus I find it ironic that the first set of answers are about how important story is in film.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Interesting read that Aaron.

cheers

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Doesn't sound like even they know what's going on.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Doesn't sound like even they know what's going on.

I completely agree. There was so much crap they were talking that didn't really make sense. And the constant interruptions from the scriptwriter were also quite annoying.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I can see Ridley Scott's fondness for going off on a pointless tangent reflected in his narrative structure. What a clem.

Why did the almighty Engineers make such a fucking stupid bio-weapon? It's like having a nuke that could go off at any time.
  • Just got home from watching this in 4d. The experience was phenomenal, mostly, though I agree with a lot of the plot issues people have mentioned.

The burst of mist to my face as the Alien popped out of the engineer's stomach was most gratifying.
  • I just put Alien on and I love the fact they all still smoke. Plus, in the breakfast scene, they're drinking out of the same Tupperware cups that mum my bought in the late seventies :P
  • @15:32 when the ship un-docks from the Nostromo, Dallas' computer screen shows the exact same graphic used in Bladerunner when the spinner takes off. ooooooh.
  • A sad gaggy swishing of used piss from one cheek to the other. A curiously tired, characterless film that choked on one idea for a couple of hours. Genuinely pissed off.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Yah, it was very illogical.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yah, it was very illogical.

Nice.
  • The more I think about it, the more I think it was a good story told really badly. There were loads of plot holes and the characters were generally 2 dimensional (ironically considering the amount of 3d being rammed in my face) but it kind of all holds together in a creaky and unstable way, I'm sure a director's cut will be forthcoming which will explain away lots of the ambiguity.

Can't believe Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars though. It's an average sci fi film really with too many concessions to mainstream thickery and woo special effects, and I would've thought he'd enjoy tearing it to shreds.
  • Saw this last night, opening sequence probably the most beautiful I've ever seen. Stunning. Enjoyed it thoroughly and could look past the fact that you feel the hand of the screenwriter at times.

Everyone was a little too keen to touch foreign goo though.

Also +1 for casting Errol
  • What was the whole Engineer MGS2 DNA thing about at the beginning?
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!