Gods & Monsters: The Prometheus Thread (Mahooosive Spoilers!)
  • Mr_Knight wrote:
    RasDam wrote:
    I doubt this will make enough money to get a sequel.
    The fact that the story ends with a women and android head flying off in a jockey ship to their home planet makes a sequel almost impossible.  I'd love to know who approved that shit.

TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!!!!!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Umm i really liked it, though there were a few things that bothered me:
    1) vikers death was pathetic
    2) The captain bloke had literally no concern for 2 of the trapped crew members during the sandstorm, it came across as inhumanly cold, where I got the impression he wa supposed to be some likeable yet generic salt of the earth type.
    3) Weyland looked fucking ridiculous
  • Absolutely. The whole captain don't give a fuck we'll come and look for you tomorrow was risible. Really clumsy writing to service the shonky plot.

regards

g.man
  • I really don't get the point of having Guy Pierce in there as Weyland. It would be interesting hearing their justification for casting him.

Actually it'd interesting to hear their justification for most of it.
  • @Fingers to paraphrase G: You're wrong, you are so wrong
  • Frosty wrote:
    I really don't get the point of having Guy Pierce in there as Weyland. It would be interesting hearing their justification for casting him.

It really is quite unfathomable, isn't it?

strange days

g.man
  • I think it could have worked if they had shown more of him as a young Weyland through advertising for his company (I think they did this as part of a viral before the film). His message to the crew could surely have also been made to look like he was young too, giving more impact to his later reveal as an old man.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I enjoyed this film quite a lot.  HOWEVER, it all seemed to be pointing towards the engineers' ship being the one discovered by the Nostromo's crew in Alien, and yet the Space Jockey chap wasn't chest-bursted in his chair, he was chest-bursted somewhere else.  If it wasn't the same ship and planet, then why the hell set absolutely everything up, including creation of a Queen to lay the eggs, as if it was?  Why?  Why?

The Horseshoe ship in Alien is another, different, Engineer ship on another, different, planet which was similarly being used for weapons storage. Their bio-tinkering had resulted in the xenomorph carnage similar to that which befell the crew of Prometheus and, 2000 years earlier, the crew of the Horseshoe ship (as seen in their holographic fleeing near the start of the film).

The birth of the Alien was a way of showing how that species was created from the folly of the Engineers, but it isn't the actual Alien queen that lays all of the eggs in Alien.

I really enjoyed this film. I don't quite get the level of 'RAAAAGGHHINTERNETRAGE' that's being bandied about - its nowhere near perfect but it isn't a catastrophy either. People obviously feel betrayed that they didn't get what they expected or wanted - but its still Scotts best film in a long time and considerably better than the majority of mainstream summer blockbusters, a category that this falls into where Alien did not.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • There are a lot of whiny nerds around, Gremill.

OK, I accept your explanation, but surely it would have made more sense just to label the planet LV-224 or whatever the one in Alien was called, have the Engineer die in his chair, and let the whole thing be (near enough) consistent with Alien.  Odd.
  • It's not to do with expectations, it's just how staggeringly dumb it was in the second half. It was all fairly promising before it collapsed in on itself.

Entertaining nonetheless.
  • You've got so much more hate than me Gonz. I'll get there one day. Role model.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    There are a lot of whiny nerds around, Gremill.

OK, I accept your explanation, but surely it would have made more sense just to label the planet LV-224 or whatever the one in Alien was called, have the Engineer die in his chair, and let the whole thing be (near enough) consistent with Alien.  Odd.

There's potentially another 2 films in the series before we get to the circumstances of LV-426 so no doubt it'll all come out in the wash.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • That bellend scientist had a striking resemblance to Commander Shepherd, he even had a sex scene and acted like a jerk throughout, was basically a Mass Effect film, they even had the stupid moon buggies.
  • I think it could have worked if they had shown more of him as a young Weyland through advertising for his company (I think they did this as part of a viral before the film).

That viral video should have made it into the film, even if it didn't make much sense.
  • I'm not convinced there will be a sequel. I don't think the film has done too well, especially considering the negative word of mouth.

Saying that, I have no evidence to support this and I could be wrong...
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Engineers vs Aliens vs Predators.
  • Ridley Scott told Simon Mayo in a podcast interview there will be another 2 films, if Prometheus makes enough cash, before the story catches up with Alien.

If Duncan Jones writes and directs Prometheus 2, I'll spray baby batter across all 4 walls.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • It's probably best if they let the franchise just die, it's beyond saving now.

The whole reaction to Prometheus isn't fanboy wailing, striped of it's franchise it is still an awful film in it's own right.

The script is horrendous, the dialogue is worthy of the Star Wars prequels, the pacing is completely off, the editing is completely botched and much of the film simply does not make sense.

It also treats it's audience as fucking morons, the signposting in this film is some of the worst I've seen. They have a whole scene just to make note of the medical table, with Shaw an archaeologist supposedly being hugely impressed by it. Laughable.
  • Once we have SmartGlass on our phones I'm sure they'll text us during films at key points just to say, Pay Attention You Will See This Again Later.

god help us

g.man
  • Or tell us not concern ourselves with things that will have no explanation whatsoever such as the green crystal and door.
  • I don't think people are getting stupider, more that more stupid people are going to see sci-fi than did 30 years ago. Everything's mainstream now, so everything is dumbed-down, diluted, homogenised and hamstrung by committees and test screen feedback. Back in the day, I think films were made more for specific audiences, audiences that already had a grasp of basic concepts tied to the plot and setting of a film. Now, we have these dire, exposition-heavy scripts and generic characters that everyman can grasp, affiliate and connect with. Except that doesn't work. Well, it may work on a very superficial level for the majority when you show it to enough people, but I've always found things that appeal to the masses to invariably be weaker pieces of Art because of it. There are some very rare exceptions. When I see Sc-Fi, I want to see Sci-Fi. That is, brilliantly envisioned future technology set in a lonely, paranoid, claustrophobic environment. I don't need romances, bucket loads of hand-holding exposition and other crap thrown in to please Johnny chav at the local multiplex. Fuck it. Bring back the 70's. It's been downhill from there.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Except for Moon
  • Hence my request for Duncan Jones to write and direct Prometheus 2
  • Missed the post. C'mere.
  • They're more likely to get Duncan Goodhew to write it.

tbh

g.man
  • I don't think people are getting stupider, more that more stupid people are going to see sci-fi than did 30 years ago. Everything's mainstream now, so everything is dumbed-down, diluted, homogenised and hamstrung by committees and test screen feedback. Back in the day, I think films were made more for specific audiences, audiences that already had a grasp of basic concepts tied to the plot and setting of a film. Now, we have these dire, exposition-heavy scripts and generic characters that everyman can grasp, affiliate and connect with. Except that doesn't work. Well, it may work on a very superficial level for the majority when you show it to enough people, but I've always found things that appeal to the masses to invariably be weaker pieces of Art because of it. There are some very rare exceptions. When I see Sc-Fi, I want to see Sci-Fi. That is, brilliantly envisioned future technology set in a lonely, paranoid, claustrophobic environment. I don't need romances, bucket loads of hand-holding exposition and other crap thrown in to please Johnny chav at the local multiplex. Fuck it. Bring back the 70's. It's been downhill from there.

That's why they see Nolan as a genius.. He's telling complicated stories.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • g.man wrote:
    They're more likely to get Duncan Goodhew to write it. tbh g.man

He was in moon.. he was the moon.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..

• That's why they see Nolan as a genius.. He's telling complicated stories.

They aren't that complicated really. Inception was... good but a little lacklustre.

I read somewhere that Dark Knight has a gaping hole when Batman just leaves the Joker at the party with hundreds of guests with no explanation for why he didn't slash up someone else. I can't recall thgh, I've not seen it since the cinema release.
  • I don't think Inception was the omg masterpiece that everyone else seems to think it is.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!