Gods & Monsters: The Prometheus Thread (Mahooosive Spoilers!)
  • Tempy wrote:
    Matt_82 wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    @Matt RE: Aliens on the planet. I speculated in a post on the first page after g asked about wurmz
    Aye that's a decent shout actually.  The monster worms came from mutated shitty worms.  I still feel it lacks the simplicity and elegance of Egg-monster-face rape-big monster.  There was no need for speculation in Alien.
    Yep. Just give the Scientists or David a chance to autopsy a creature, like in Alien. That was what the Jockey head was for, instead we just get a menagerie that are not shown to be explicitly linked.

DAMN THOSE FILTHY SPACE WORMS!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Oh, I have to say that I liked the C-Section scene.  It was just the leading up to it and afterwards that was gash.
  • I hated it. The Ridley Scott of thirty years ago would have done it very differently methinks, but you could say that about much of the film really.
    The annoying thing is, it didn't have to be shaw that was infected in that way. It could have been any crew member, and frankly it would have made more sense for it to be someone else and have them killed inside the medical machine by the alien once the machine had removed it from them, while others watch in horror from the outside, helpless to do anything.
    That would actually have made a lot more sense, because having it be shaw infected makes the screenplay completely jump the shark and is at the same time utterly pointless to the actual story.

harrumph

g.man
  • Thanks for the direction to this thread G.man.

Basically my spoiler review covered pretty much everything that has been said here. I enjoyed the film but it ultimately had so many horrendous issues that it really let the film down.

It's been interesting reading the comments here as it highlighted some issues I hadn't thought about.

My biggest annoyance was when the scottish guy came back to the ship. What had happened to him? Why was he there? It just seemed an excuse to mass-kill some of the pointless characters. The actual attack scene was great, it just made no sense. All the film needed to be was:

Thay go to the planet, they see the space jockey, they find some data showing the space jockeys being killed by an alien weapon they have created that then attacks the crew one by one in a series of tense encounters spread out over the ship and the temple. One alien creature that is an early form of the one we all know and love. The film could then end with them finding a surviving Space Jockey who thens flies away to escape, gets attacked by a face-hugger and crashes onto the other planet. Mystery solved.

However, I guess it would then be criticised for being too much like Alien.

Or they could have just sorted the bloody script out and not turned the Space Jockeys in big albinos.

Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I think if Weyland hadn't been on board and it had been a different cast member rather than shaw that had been infected the whole film would have been greatly improved.
    Too many conflicting story revisions methinks.
    That's a good point about that infected chap that just turns up back at the spaceship though? Why? They see his suit camera on a monitor. Why has no-one seen it before or been monitoring it?

regards

g.man
  • Thinking more about this...

I'm inclined to think that the screenplay would have been about a million times better if it had been Meredith Vickers that was infected by David rather than Shaw.

There is an interesting dynamic between David and Vickers. Weyland refers to David as the closest thing to a son he'll ever have, whereas Vickers is apparently Weyland's daughter. Weyland clearly doesn't want to die and leave the corporation in his daughters control and there are some interesting allusions made to David being among his creators. Weyland is both his father and his God. Both David and vickers clearly resent each others position in the Weyland universe. 

Sadly, this all kind of peters out and goes nowhere in the screenplay as it exists, but imagine David had infected Vickers, the daughter of his creator, rather than Shaw. That makes for a far more interesting story from both a logical and theological viewpoint.

Given that it is also heavily implied that Vickers has sex with Janek during the course of the mission, this would have meant she could have infected Janek, and upon his realising he was doomed by the presence of the parasite inside him, would have given him a credible motivation to pilot the Prometheus into the alien spaceship at the end.

regards

g.man
  • Lots of clumsy hinting towards Vickers breing a synthetic though.

Friends are seeing this again today, can't brig myself to join them. Sigh.
  • G.man I think you should write a remake. That idea would have made a fair bit of difference to the overall film. The whole father/daughter dynamic was also never explored.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Lots of clumsy hinting towards Vickers breing a synthetic though. Friends are seeing this again today, can't brig myself to join them. Sigh.

Indeed there was. She'll probably pop up in the inevitable sequel, however, regardless of whether she's synthetic or not, my suggestion that she should have been infected still stands, and quite tantalisingly could be all the better if it had indeed turned out that she was at least partially synthetic.

regards

g.man
  • I was hoping she would be synthetic. There were so many hints to it that it would of made sense.
  • G.man I think you should write a remake. That idea would have made a fair bit of difference to the overall film. The whole father/daughter dynamic was also never explored.
    So many wasted opportunities for poking at the meaning of life and our place therein were just completely squandered.
    Considering that hack Lindehof has stated that he was influenced by and wanted to allude to the themes of Bladerunner, my alternative scenario fits much better than the shite he came up with.

regards

g.man
  • I was hoping she would be synthetic. There were so many hints to it that it would of made sense.
    It could have been really interesting if she had been half human half synthetic.

sigh

g.man
  • Would explain her attitude to David and fit so well with the themes of creation, destruction and Gieger's biomechanical artwork and stuff.

What the hell are these writers on?
  • Precisely. It does make you wonder, when a few very obvious changes to what they ultimately ran with could have elevated their screenplay to god like status.

weeps

g.man
  • Thought this was mildly interesting.
    Here are some comparison shots between the temple as seen in Prometheus and some very old Giger concept work for Alejandro Jodorowsky's aborted 1970's DUNE project.

DDM2DDM2.jpg

templehead-1.jpg

giger_pioneer.jpg

I did actually clock this when watching the film, and it does make me wonder just how limited Giger's work on Prometheus actually was. 
    Anyhoo, here is a nice shot of the ceiling mural from the temple which is virtually unseeable in the actual film...

Prometheus-god.jpg

regards

g.man
  • The temple Pyramid in Prome is based off the temple Giger drew up for Alien, the idea was the eggs were originally found in the temple. I've got a great big book on Alien all about that shit. Good book.

This one:

Giger_Concept_Art_for_Alien_by_TheOldOne81.jpg
  • I'm currently watching Alien on 4OD.

I have not seen Prometheus and so don't want any spoilers. BUT someone tell me - is it good? Or is it Phantom Menace.
  • It's ok.
  • Some of my friends loved it. I say it is a solid 7/10. Lots of inconsistencies in the plot, essentially two films fighting for dominance and the slightly dumber one wins.

See it on the biggest, best screen you can because it is pure and unashamed spectacle.
  • Even this long later, Alien is amazing - especially now in HD.

The design is incredible. Just got to the bit where they discover the eggs and the facehugger attacks. The aliens are just so real. It's fantastic.
  • Don't go expecting Alien, just something slightly linked and in the same universe.

The biggest link to Alien feels like a studio optioned mistake.
  • Sounds like a solid Wait For The DVD.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The temple Pyramid in Prome is based off the temple Gieger drew up for Alien, the idea was the eggs were originally found in the temple. I've got a great big book on Alien all about that shit. Good book.
    You're sort of right Templeton. Giger designed a very different looking pyramid for the original StarBeast/Alien script. That entire sequence was written out of the original screenplay because they didn't have the budget for it, and it looks more like a cross between a giant booby and one of the eggs used in Alien. 
    Giger_Concept_Art_for_Alien_by_TheOldOne81.jpg
    Other artists attached to the project also came up with wildly different designs for the pyramid. My point is, the temple used in Prometheus is recycled from another film project (DUNE) that Giger worked on in the 70's which was never made.

worryingly, I have books about the making of Alien that are significantly older than you are  :O

g.man
  • I posted that picture up there :) interesting stufff though. I need to properly sit down and read my book on it, it's full of brilliant looking things.

I have a piece of memorabilia older than me too, it's a press pamphlet that from the first handful of screenings. A girl bought it for me, she was the one... until she went weird and stopped talking to me. Ah well.

@Workid But you'll miss all the amazing Scifi gorgeousness! I paid £11 for IMAX 3D but I don't regret that, despite everything I've said over the past two days.
  • Only £11 for IMAX 3D? VUE charged me £15 for the pleasure.
    It is worth seeing on the big screen. The best thing about it is the look
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Yeah, I thought it looked fabulous in 2D, but I'll probably try and grab a trip to the IMAX 3D showing out of curiosity.

regards

g.man
  • Shinji, I think it's definitely worth seeing on as big a screen as possible.

regards

g.man
  • I might be tempted to go see it again in IMAX. The VUE Extreme screen is big but not that big.
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Silicon storm was crazy! IMAX 3D is gorgeous, crisp and colourful. A world apart from normal 3D. The bit where David sees Shaw's dream looked great too.
  • How are the glasses they sell you at these 3D showings Tempy? Can you get them on over your regular specs? If not it's a bit of a fail for me.

regards

g.man

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!