Gods & Monsters: The Prometheus Thread (Mahooosive Spoilers!)
  • I'm confused... how did ingesting the goo and destroying himself jump-start evolution?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It seperates his DNA strands then begins to reassemble them in the waterfall he dissolves into.

THAT'S HOW LIFE IS MADE DIDN'T YOU GET THE MEMO!?
  • Yeah, but at the end, that big engineer chap might have just been rushing off home because he'd left the cooker on a couple of millennia ago, because frankly, we have no way of knowing otherwise.
    Ok, so earlier David finds a star map that has earth on it. So fucking what. It has thousands of planets on it.
    Regardless of any interpretation of what actually happens in the prologue, why, after all the other engineers have seemingly been wiped out by their own carelessness, is there still one of them alive, in suspended animation, who everyone instantly assumes wants to wipe out the earth??? Nobody actually knows this as fact. It's just shockingly poor writing

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah it isn't explicitly stated why he wants to go back. The Star Map does specifically highlight Earth though, David doesn't make it do that.

He clearly wants to get there urgently, you just have to make a few huge leaps of faith to guess why. Which is what they wanted you to do, but it isn't as interesting as a dead ship full of eggs on a planet for no reason.

They could have done so much more with David though, sigh. He gets some brilliant bits and pieces all over the film, his little back and forth with Holloway is brilliant.
  • Like I said, it smacks of a screenplay being revised endlessly from the end point back rather than the beginning forwards. This is where we are, now what do we need to shoe-horn in to get there.

piss-poor

g.man
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    One more conundrum. Why on earth were cave paintings left in the first place?
  • Because script revision and then they go to LV 223 and the film really gets underway!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Obvious but I lol'd anyway.
  • I really have no idea. Is it a warning? Is it an invitation? Why?

Who knows.
  • It's a fair old point though. The whole cave paintings mcguffin made absolutely no sense either.

poor, poor, poor

g.man
  • I am in love with Noomi Rapace now though, hands off fuckos.
  • You can have her mate.

meh

g.man
  • IT TAKES ALL SORTS G

all sorts

*sniff*
  • So, Charlize Theron's character. Android or not? 
    Apparently Lindelof has said her character (among other facets) was inspired by the ambiguity in BladeRunner. Difference there of course is that it actually mattered in BladeRunner. 
    In Prometheus it's just a pointless guessing game to draw parallels between her cold and robotic personality and David who whilst actually being a robot, displays more feelings and emotions than she does. Ultimately does it really matter?

regards

g.man
  • Glad I read this. I hate both the cinemas in town.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Yeah, must be maybe five years since I last went to the flicks. Hateful places multiplexes.

Shan't be rushing back

g.man
  • Glad I read this. I hate both the cinemas in town.
    Yeah, might have been tempted to catch it this weekend against my better judgement. I'll wait for the blu ray.
  • Oh, I reckon it's going to look  staggeringly good on blu-ray. I saw it projected digitally in 2D today, and the picture quality was absolutely amazing.

regards

g.man
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I hope the Engi ship that's in Alien is now the one from Prom. As that's where it belongs. Ruined and forgotten. Berry vad ending.
  • I like Noomi too.

Multiplexes are a fucking nightmare they really are. It's impossible not to get annoyed by something. I'm actually a little better than I used to be. The slightest popcorn munch used to drive me mental. I've chilled a bit over the years. The pal I saw Avengers and Prometheus with was hum dinging of booze on both occasions from the night before. Disgusting. I don't know why I bother. After Prometheus I went in for a slash and there was some guy being violently sick in the cubicle. Brutal.
  • Posted this in the Film thread before Tempy alerted me to this one.  In total agreement with G.man and then Scout.  Especially about the whole run up to auto-abortion (from drink spike onwards) just didn't make sense at all.

Liked it, but it does have issues.  

For one thing, it suffers what almost all prequels that deal with unexplained mythology of a series in that the audience already has made up their own version.  So when it became clear that the elephant faced exoskeleton space jockey was just a big human with a mask, I felt disappointed already.  That's not really the fault of the film but I couldn't help but feel that that could have been a bit less shit.

The dialogue at times was horrendous.  'Godforsaken rock in space' has been mentioned. 'It is what I choose to believe' was another.  She's a fucking scientist for fuck sake.  There was also some really shit stuff along the lines of 'why did they abandon us', 'why do you hate us?' that had me wondering if science had dropped university education in favour of sitting the students down in front of sesame street for 4 years before graduating. 

The Scottish doctor was terrible.  No one thought to say, 'Put some effort in, love' at any point?  I cringed every time she opened her mouth. What was happening with the aliens?  They had some really good designs, the snake thing and the tentacle thing at the end, but they were just there.  How and why?  The captain seems to think it was a weapons base but that was clearly a stab in the dark. 

Also, if the space jockey got killed in that escape shuttle, how was he sitting at his telescope thing by the time Alien came round?- This one's been answered.  I didn't even know it was meant to be a different planet.
  • People who feel the need to talk about the bloody film they're watching.

IMAX speakers are 12,000w according to the adverts, and I could still hear them.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I hope the Engi ship that's in Alien is now the one from Prom. As that's where it belongs. Ruined and forgotten. Berry vad ending.
    If it is, then it's on the wrong fricken planet. But don't panic, the idiocy will doubtless continue in Prometheus 2.

god help us

g.man
  • The cinema I was in had annoying rattly speakers. So any big basey moment sounded horrible.
  • @Matt RE: Aliens on the planet. I speculated in a post on the first page after g asked about wurmz
  • Yes, Matt, a River City accent is a fitting description. She was in Red Road and I'm sure she didn't talk that way in that.
  • I hate cinemas.  Woman beside me felt the need to say things like 'uh oh' when it looked like something was going to happen.  There is always something.
    Scout wrote:
    Not really a spoiler but...I'm with you on the Scottish doctor. I think the problem was she was really toning her accent down and enunciating every word very clearly. Every line made me shudder

I replied in the Film thread already but the line about the 50,000ft high mountain was awful.  I get that she had to nerf the accent a bit for you foreigners but she could have put a bit of oomph into the 'oh' at the start of the sentence.  It was genuinely one of the worst read lines I've heard in any movie ever.
  • Tempy wrote:
    @Matt RE: Aliens on the planet. I speculated in a post on the first page after g asked about wurmz

Aye that's a decent shout actually.  The monster worms came from mutated shitty worms.  I still feel it lacks the simplicity and elegance of Egg-monster-face rape-big monster.  There was no need for speculation in Alien.
  • Her performance was indeed dire.

regards

g.man
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    @Matt RE: Aliens on the planet. I speculated in a post on the first page after g asked about wurmz

Aye that's a decent shout actually.  The monster worms came from mutated shitty worms.  I still feel it lacks the simplicity and elegance of Egg-monster-face rape-big monster.  There was no need for speculation in Alien.

Yep. Just give the Scientists or David a chance to autopsy a creature, like in Alien. That was what the Jockey head was for, instead we just get a menagerie that are not shown to be explicitly linked.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!