Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That tracker is crazy. It’s up 16% at the moment. Can someone lend me £100k to put in??
  • b0r1s wrote:
    That tracker is crazy. It’s up 16% at the moment. Can someone lend me £100k to put in??

We are talking the UBS S&P 500 Index Fund, class C Acc right? How can you tell its up 16%
  • Because it tells you when you click the performance button on the Fidelity website.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Because it tells you when you click the performance button on the Fidelity website.

Ahh cheers
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just to be clear Dino I’m talking about my personal “up”. I bought in I think when it was really low. Obviously any ongoing investment isn’t going to get as much of a gain but I believe it is still up 2.5% on yesterday.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Just to be clear Dino I’m talking about my personal “up”. I bought in I think when it was really low. Obviously any ongoing investment isn’t going to get as much of a gain but I believe it is still up 2.5% on yesterday.

Yeh mate i realised that after the fact. New to the tracker linked to an index thing and learning as i go.
  • Up 11%!

If there could be a big crash before I put more in tommorow that would be nice.
  • Dude.  It’s Saturday tomorrow. Markets are closed.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Awww, where am I gonna buy pangolin and bat soup now?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Up 11%! If there could be a big crash before I put more in tommorow that would be nice.

Yeah don't get too excited, today it tanked nearly 3%. It's going to be a very rocky road for a while and remember, although it's nice to get off to a good start we're not trying to time the markets that much. If it does start to slide is the time to look away. Put in and what you can afford and don't stop. It's dividends reinvested over years that's going to make the substantial cash, not this crazy swinging we're seeing right now.
  • cockbeard wrote:

Dino might have some. He’s been hoarding them to rid the world of such disgusting things. Beak into his house.
  • Behold the madness of the markets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52504187
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Dude.  It’s Saturday tomorrow. Markets are closed.

If I'm working tomorrow, the market should!

That gives Trump 2 days to do something insane then. Plenty of time.
  • SG, if missus wants to open a Stock and Shares Isa. Would it be more sensible in your opinion that she use a different index / fund than what i am using?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:

Dino might have some. He’s been hoarding them to rid the world of such disgusting things. Beak into his house.

Alas eating my stock of pangolin and bats hadnt yielded any superpowers, yet.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    SG, if missus wants to open a Stock and Shares Isa. Would it be more sensible in your opinion that she use a different index / fund than what i am using?

Not really. A tracker is naturally well spread so minimising risk, and the USA delivers great. It might slide for a few months because virus but really, who cares? Over 25+ years it'll serve you well.
  • Right, so it's been about 6 weeks since I made the OP and depending on when you jumped in most will have seen a handsome return already, which is both good and bad news. Some very late investors may have seen a slight loss.

So the reasons it's bad in our case are twofold. 

Firstly, it's may give a false sense of expectation for some of you. Yes I know that you know this is a "set and forget" operation, but it's natural to get excited when we're off to such a good start and to check the balance all the time. This is fine. As the weeks and months and years pass you'll do this less and less and trust it will look after itself in the long term. You'll only need to really make significant changes as you're nearing pension age.

Secondly, it's doing a little too well and is not reflecting the true economic situation. This means it's probably going to act a little wildly for a bit and that can come as a shock. I don't think we'll see any cliff edges but it's probably going to get choppy. Probably. The truth is nobody knows. Will the markets slide to reflect economic reality? Will the markets actually go up more as positive vaccine news filters through? *shrugs*

I personally think, for no particular reason, the reality will start hitting home the longer this crisis goes on for and I can't see it ending anytime soon. Even if a vaccine wre to come out next week the sheer amount of unemployment will keep spending down a maybe a year or longer. If there's a second peak in Winter things could actually start tanking very quickly. But that's one opinion amongst many.

The important thing is to leave it alone and keep putting in on a monthly basis (if you can afford to), no matter what the markets are doing. If they're going up that's grand (but you're getting less bang for your buck), and if they're sliding that's bad (but you're buying in at a cheaper rate every month). This is the luxury that time affords us. Don't be tempted to stop paying in for a few months and start when things are more certain. It won't end well and trying to time the markets is foolish. Also, if you do this you're now an active investor (as opposed to passive) which means it's going to get stressful and frankly, who can be arsed with all that worry? Leave it be and stay happy. One less screen to stare at.

I could advise putting most of your monthly savings cash into the stocks ISA but keeping some aside in a cash ISA - to build up and chuck into the stocks ISA when there's another crash, but I don't advise that either. That again would make you an active investor trying to time the markets, which I've said a million times in not that good an idea. Remember that timing is not that important anyway. Yes it's lovely to buy low (and we have), but it's dividends not market swings that'll make money for us, and money sitting around in cash is money that's not earning dividends.

Remember the link in the OP:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/diyinvesting/article-8101459/The-FTSE-100-15-20-years-invest-long-term.html

I know I'm repeating myself a lot in this thread and most know that the sensible course is set and forget, but I feel a certain sense of responsibility and to keep reminding people not to panic, not to worry, and that we'll see good times and bad, but it's going to significantly alter your life for the better if you set it up and stop worrying about it.
  • The downside for me is I have you lot to worry about. But that in time will pass.
  • speaking of worrying about us...so i made a bit of a booboo with mine it seems.
    basically, in trying to decide which funds to go for, i ended up splitting across a couple. most of the (relatively small amount) of money went in a more sensible one (i think the same as Dante), but i also stuck about £100 in a more high risk one.
    the good news is it's currently up 20%
    the bad news is that it doesn't seem to be an accumulator fund!

obviously in all the excitement (and despite setting the various filters to accumulation funds) i've ended up with a different thing.

Should i just sell while it's up, and put the funds in an acc tracker?
    https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/etf/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=0P000131W8
    that's the thing. the numbers seem good to my completely untrained eye, just not sure what i'm meant to do with it if it won't magically grow on it's own! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Three options.

Your platform should have a setting to reinvest any income you make anyway, thereby turning the income fund into a accumulation fund.

Just switch to the accumulation flavour of the same fund (most funds tend to do both flavours).

Switch it to your less risky tracker acc.

Our even just leave it and see what happens. It's only £100 after all. A lot depends on your platform. Cavendish don't charge anything for dealing (buying, selling or switching), but others might.

No Biggie really.
  • Ta.

Could you clarify one other thing please? I tried to look into dividends the other day and read something that made me think....do you only get a dividend if you have at least 1 full share in a fund? or could that be a rule on some platforms/funds?
    or if you've only bought 0.1 worth of a share, will you get 0.1 of the dividend?

Just the main fund i invested in is about £450-500 per 1 share, so i've only got a part of a share there.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • No, it just gets worked out based on what small percentage you own, even if it's not quite a whole share. Trackers for small investors couldn't work otherwise, as a typical S&P tracker has all 500 companies covered, and that still works out as it should even if you have £100 invested in the fund. You'll still get your percentage.

Anyway, it looks like the markets are finally waking up to economic reality and are starting to fall as the bad news comes in. It'll be choppy, but don't worry. Personally, I'll be looking to increase monthly investments as it slides. Cheaper and cheaper as it were. 

I know I keep banging on about not timing the markets and I mean it - keep putting in on a monthly basis, but there's nothing wrong with bumping up the amounts for a bit when it's having a wobble. What I really mean by not timing the markets is to pull out some cash thinking you can rebuy at a better price, or not putting in the usual monthly amount. Never do this, you're always going to be late to the party. But putting in extra when things are going tits up is a good idea with our timeframe. Putting in extra is always a good idea period, just like any savings account, but when it's falling it makes it slightly more tempting.
  • As an aside, despite the depressing current situation I'm enjoying all the shitty companies doing especially badly. Arms companies are seeing a massive drop in profits, mainly thanks to the falling oil price, which is also pleasing because fuck Saudi and Western defence contracts. Tech and renewables are thriving and large meat producers are having a wonderfully bad time, as are cars, planes and general pollution stuff. Also, people moaning about the welfare state can officially go and fuck themselves.
  • A nice blue day.
  • https://www.open.edu/openlearn/money-business/mses-academy-money/content-section-overview?active-tab=description-tab

The Open University has joined forces with MoneySavingExpert (MSE) to produce this new free course to give you the skills and knowledge to master your finances. The course was written by The OU, with MSE providing support and guidance.

Packed with videos, audios, quizzes and activities, the course covers all the key aspects of personal finance in six sessions of study that each take around two hours to complete.

The course starts by looking at how to be savvy when spending money and at the behavioural and marketing pressures that try to influence what consumers buy.

It then looks at budgeting and the impact of tax on household finances.

Borrowing money is something virtually all households are familiar with but it can cause financial problems. The course explains how to borrow money sensibly if necessary, whether it’s a loan to buy a car or a mortgage to buy your home.

Do you want to save or invest money? The course looks at simple savings accounts but also investments such as shares, commodities or property. It explains what is involved and the risks you expose yourself to as you look for a higher return on your money.

The course finishes by getting to grips with the complexities of pensions. It will help you to think about your options when retiring, such as how much your state pension will amount to, supplementing this with an occupational or personal pension, and what you can do if your pension provision falls short of what you need.
  • What are the thoughts on investing in mutal debt funds?
  • They're fine but don't pay much. Very safe though and better than sticking it in a savings account. Tracker far better long term.
  • Jeebus, the S&P just keeps climbing. Must be all the trillions the government are throwing at it, and Trump is talking about massive infrastructure spending on top of all that. He'll probably try and lower taxes too. 

Good for those that invested in an American tracker but I pity the poor buggers who'll pay for all this.
  • This was an interesting read.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/investors-should-no-longer-bet-on-warren-buffett-2019-03-01

"...Many people, myself included, think an S&P 500 index fund is inadequate to capture the market’s full potential return, because it doesn’t include small- or midcap stocks, which historically outperform the large-cap names in the S&P. A representative ETF that covers the whole U.S. stock market, Vanguard Total Market Index has put both Berkshire and the S&P to shame: Since March 2009, it has risen by about 420%, including dividends. Game, set, and match.

That’s why we shouldn’t be surprised by Buffett’s own favorable comments about index funds. “If my [initial] $114.75 had been invested in a no-fee S&P 500 index fund [in 1942], and all dividends had been reinvested, my stake would have grown to be worth (pre-taxes) $606,811 on January 31, 2019,” he wrote in the annual letter. “That is a gain of 5,288 for 1.” He said on CNBC that $10,000 invested in an index fund in 1942 (34 years before the first one opened, but never mind) would be worth $51 million today.

“Consistently buy an S&P 500 low-cost index fund,” he said last year. “I think it’s the thing that makes the most sense practically all of the time...”
  • I'd advise you not to read too much into this endeavour. Just pick one and stick with it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!