How to Start a Pension in the Face of Economic Armaggedon
  • Oh i am sticking to the one. Just enjoying reading about the subject and different approaches.

Edit: page turn was replying to SG
  • The mid-stock tracker is actually pretty good but you can spend months reading into stuff. There's a million different opinions that mysteriously only come to light with the advent of hindsight. As long as you choose USA and pick a broad cheap tracker you'll not go far wrong. 

Life's too short to look too deeply and the important point is to be a passive investor. As Buffet said, stick it in a tracker, never look at a headline and fret, just let time do it's thing. You should review it every 5 years or so, maybe every 10, but whatever you do keep putting money in on a monthly basis regardless of what's happening in the world. And for the love of God do not pull out when it's going tits up. It'll go tits up many times over 20 - 30 years but keep putting in and try and relax. When you're nearing pension age you should look at putting some of it into bonds and things like that but that's way off right now.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • So US unemployment is at an all time high of 15%, the country is currently on fire due to rioting and Trump keeps running between a bunker and the White House Tweeting that he's going to shoot everybody and that the Chinese are twats. And still the S&P 500 goes up.
  • I know! Fucksake. I’m waiting for it to crash again before I chip in.
  • As SG said dont try to time it. Just put in cash whenever you can
  • I was being facetious. Don’t worry.
  • Time in the market, not timing the market. Although a bit of the latter helps. :)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It does, which is why the thread started when it did, but that doesn't matter once it's up and running. And I'd certainly not start investing just because there hasn't been a crash! If things have been going up for the last six years I'd probably start one but put half the initial investment in a cash isa and half on stocks and shares, and then transfer the cash bit once there is a crash.

Sometimes there's a mini crash for no reason that lasts for a couple of months or so. It'll dip slightly for whatever reason and will trigger a chain reaction of algo selling and then active investors stay to panic and it tumbles even more.

That's a good time to jump in without having to wait for a really mental crash, or stick a bit extra in for a couple of months if your already investing.
  • S&P up 3% already today. This is madness.
  • Early adopters will be seeing about a 40% return right now, which is ridiculous. The madness shows no sign of stopping so enjoy. It may well be 50% by the end of the month. The fiscal bailout is once again a licence to literally print money.
  • you should have said it would go up this much this quick, i'd have sold some kidneys to invest more ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m “only” at 23.5% up atm.
  • Bout 20% for me. If we had more cash that we didn't need right now we'd be banging it in.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Bloomberg Businessweek’s front cover this week seems relevant.

“The great disconnect: Why do stocks keep going up?”

103713839_3036347656450301_5203378018496560169_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=105&_nc_ohc=3fvJlRNi87gAX_Fwac-&oh=074a5858a07d193b1d4319aab293128a&oe=5F139C24
  • Its a good point though, why is it going up?
  • It's thermodynamics mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Buy the magazine and find out.
  • (Generally, I think people are investing in the idea that reopening shops and businesses will lead to profits pretty sharpish. But I am not an economist.)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think it's blind optimism and hope.
  • poprock wrote:
    Buy the magazine and find out.

Wait for SG to read it and tell us.
  • I think it's blind optimism and hope.

It's actually greed, until fear kicks in, and then it's greed also.

I should keep my mouth shut because after weeks of thinking this madness can't last and it must slide, I started thinking it might just last and then it actually started sliding.

It doesn't matter for reasons we've discussed before. As Elf said, it's time in the market not timing the market. Put in what you can each month and don't worry, but don't put in what you can't afford.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Buy the magazine and find out.
    Wait for SG to read it and tell us.

It doesn't mean anything. The markets rarely make any sense and are largely unpredictable so trying to predict it is more or less a waste of time. Markets are driven by greed and fear, so they bounce around a bit over the years because people are people. 

I remember having an argument a few years ago with Nexx who was saying not to invest because a US election was looming and it was a terrible time to buy because Trump etc. I was arguing just to buy anyway because there's always SOMETHING. He was arguing not to buy because SCARY TRUMP. 

The only thing that really matters is time. Lots of time and a broad tracker will make you more money than a bank account, who take your money and just invest it for themselves anyway. Or charge you silly when you don't have money. Rich or poor, they will make money.
  • That's a bit of a misrepresentation. The point I was trying to get across was to make sure your investments match your time horizon.  If you're really making a long term investment then a tracker is a great idea but if you're out to make a quick buck then they don't always make sense because of short term volatility.  Sounds like the exact same thing you're explaining in this thread.
  • In fact here's the actual post:
    Nexx wrote:
    If you're serious about leaving it for 3 to 5 years then yeah a tracker is a great investment, especially over something like a cash ISA.  But there's a pretty good chance that broad equity exposure over the short term isn't going to be a great investment.  The end of quantitative easing, rising interest rates and some key elections next year are going to make it a pretty challenging year for equity markets that could just as easily put some of you off investing if you were expecting shorter term gains.
  • I was always very clear it was a long investment. It was my only point.
  • Mainly, I remember you were stating explicitly it was a bad time to invest and I was stating explicitly it wasn't. You were talking about politics and I was not. Your advice, in hindsight, was wrong. Really wrong. Stocks soared. 

My point is that you lot don't know anything. We don't either but we admit it and the fees are low.
  • I just got that short term investments in trackers are generally a bad idea, especially if they cause casual investors to be put off investing due to short term losses.

As long as it's understood they are a cheap way to get good returns over long periods, sure. I don't think your points are necessarily mutually exclusive?
  • I suspect Nexx isn't doing this for a living. That would be scumbag status, and I assume he's not like that. He might be financially wrong but that doesn't mean he's a total money grabbing twat.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!