Popular games series you wish you liked but don't
  • I’m not getting into the groove on Vanquish much. Still enjoying it, but I’m just not doing very well.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    The obvious one for me is Sonic. I never really understood it, how to play it, why people like it etc. I tried the original, Sonic 2, and a couple of later entries. But none of them ever clicked.

Did you play it first time around?? Just wondered because I'd gone back to it in later life and found little there except nostalgia. At the time however it did feel like the fastest thing ever, especially compared to Mario 3 which was positively snail paced in comparison
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • So I can go in without someone quoting me going "well actually"?

Give me a bit.
  • poprock wrote:
    Wreckfest. On paper it’s ideal for me. Ticks all my boxes. Driving game, Xbox, fun as opposed to serious, rewards playing dirty, etc. But driving feels floaty, just disconnected from the action. I bounced off the game almost instantly.
    Nooooo it’s awesome in fact if boners are still playing I’ll double dip
    The Forum Herald™
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Have you turned the thing on yet?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kojima games. They should be my bag absolutely, but I find him an absolute fraud and most of them.handle like arse.
  • Have you turned the thing on yet?
    Er.. no but let’s pretend I have and that wreckfest was B and B game of the year in an alternative universe

And people
    Listened to me and bought blur at launch

The Forum Herald™
  • I did buy teh Blur at launch. Can’t remember whether you had anything to do with that, I was probably influenced by the Edge previews.
  • Rockstar open world games. I'm hugely impressed by what they do and achive but I've only finished 2 (RDR and GTA3) and I usuaully tap out quickly. 

Its not the open world thing, its just that I feel they throw way too much dialogue out there (RDR2 is both impressive and piss taking in this regard) as well as too many basic labout jobs. Other open world games dont feel quite so dull. Might be because others are more focused one one or two things. 

I also find the characters way too loathsome to be in the company of. There's a nastiness to a lot of Rockstars stuff that feels imature but also loses its impact because its so omnipresent.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The entire Assassin's Creed series. Tried the original and 3, neither of them would I give anything higher than a [4].

Oh, and Resident Evil 6. Not just the worst Resi, but one of the worst games I've ever played, but it has it's fans. I just wish I was one of them - I've done (a version of) every numbered Resi, except the sixth. It's setting off my OCD something chronic.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Rockstar open world games.

Oh god, yes. Seconded. Right back to the original top-down GTAs. I loved causing chaos and seeing what happens when you get high wanted ratings, but the actual missions made me want to eat my own hands. I've not played any since the PS2 trilogy because 30 minutes of rioting isn't worth it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • GTA can get fucked. Shit game. Would be much better off watching TV while playing with an action man figure.
  • GTA can get fucked. Shit game. Would be much better off watching TV while playing with an action man figure.

Have you... have you been watching me again??
    SFV - reddave360
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Have you turned the thing on yet?
    Er.. no but let’s pretend I have and that wreckfest was B and B game of the year in an alternative universe
    I and others tried our best to promote it's charms.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • The Sonic series too for me actually.
  • Pokémon for me.had it on the original Gameboy and just nothing drew me in.(then or since) The world and lore and all that is just so boring and uninspired. I don't like the art style of the Pokémon themselves either. I found the gameplay monotonous.

In defense of GTA open world's,the game itself is usually shit with frustrating, repetitive missions. But there is nothing like just grabbing a car and driving around the city. If I ever want to just forget real life and zone out its perfect.
    JonB wrote:
    I could easily list loads of series I don't get/like, but isn't the OP asking something a little different?

It's much harder to find things I really should like on paper or really wanted to like, but couldn't.
    I should have clarified,I really wanted to like it.its effectively an RPG where you collect stuff. Im mad for collecting
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I could easily list loads of series I don't get/like, but isn't the OP asking something a little different?

It's much harder to find things I really should like on paper or really wanted to like, but couldn't.
  • Dubs wrote:
    Guilty Gear: Love the visuals, the character variety and Potemkin.  I just couldn't get my head around the neutral and the defensive options after years of Street Fighter's relative simplicity.  I'll try again with Strive and give up after a month of blocking in the corner.  Could probably expand to non-SF fighting games tbh.

Anime fighters in general for me; I'm probably too set in my ways with SF (playing those in some guise for 28 years) so the air-dash, high flash of anime fighters just doesn't gel with me. I'm appreciative of the look, and there's the odd exception (FotNS hello) but that's due to source material more than anything. I'm always appreciative of the character design though.

Oh, and I do lol at the guaranteed pantsu in every one of them, they sure know their audience.
  • The Alpha/Zero series was a close call - being a teenager at the time probably helped.
  • NBA 2K

I've even bought the latest one to try again, but anything that requires intricate movements on the analog sticks, just leads to frustration.
  • Zelda for me.
    I've never finished any one game, not even lttp.
    I should love it as on paper it's very similar to metroid but somehow the click has eluded me.
    I should try to at least finish lttp at one point.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • hunk wrote:
    Zelda for me.
    I've never finished any one game, not even lttp.
    I should love it as on paper it's very similar to metroid but somehow the click has eluded me.
    I should try to at least finish lttp at one point.

Me too! Finished the one on Ds which was now I come to think of it quite good
    The Forum Herald™
  • Pokémon for me.had it on the original Gameboy and just nothing drew me in.(then or since) The world and lore and all that is just so boring and uninspired. I don't like the art style of the Pokémon themselves either. I found the gameplay monotonous.

In defense of GTA open world's,the game itself is usually shit with frustrating, repetitive missions. But there is nothing like just grabbing a car and driving around the city. If I ever want to just forget real life and zone out its perfect.
    JonB wrote:
    I could easily list loads of series I don't get/like, but isn't the OP asking something a little different?

I should have clarified,I really wanted to like it.its effectively an RPG where you collect stuff. Im mad for collecting
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Has anyone tried Slay the Spire and not liked it? I've yet to find anyone and was just curious.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I haven't because I know I won't. Does that count?
  • Yeah, it looks and sounds awful.
  • digi wrote:
    Halo

Somewhere yoss senses a disturbance in the force
  • It's totally the best game and if you two tried it you'd love it. Everyone who plays it loves it. Oh yes.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Dead cells. Recommended by many, but I just didn’t click with the random layout, and it felt like a chore to get through to the next part. I felt like I was missing something that everyone else could see.
    Animal Crossing - Name: Chrissy
    Island: Hopperton
    Fruit: Cherries
    FC: SW-6061-2213-4257
  • The Sonic series too for me actually.

Me too. I don't get it. It always felt like you were moving too fast to actually react to the levels. Unless the point is to learn them and get good at playing them super fast?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!