Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Not so much a series but a whole genre I'd love to 'get' is real time strategies like total warhammer. I love the look of them and the concept but the execution leaves me absolutely stumped once things get hectic. I love turn based stuff so I guess it's having the time to think that's the big difference but even in the early days I found them fun at start and then gradually build to just a messy feeling.

I do plan to give total warhammer a try at some point, love GW stuff, but I've a feeling it will get kicked to the curb after a few battles.

I keep threatening to try Advance Wars for this reason and seeing how much fun a fair few players had with it years ago, but like most threats, it goes unrealised
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched a YT series on competitive Melee - was impressive. Hard to believe such a chaotic game can facilitate skillfull play. There's a bit at the start that shows a competitive player destroy people in 1 vs 3 - repeatedly.

So like all fighters, I admire it but just do not get on with it. Like cryptic crosswords - I'd love to be good at it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Reminded by the corona-games thread: Rocket League. I just find it frustrating and not fun in any way. I like smash-em-up car games and football, so should like this, but nah, just seems shite to me.
  • Shite's harsh, I recognise it's good, but *to me* it's shite.
  • For me the key is to never improve, that way every goal you ever score makes you feel like Tardelli and you still smash in loads of Des Walker grade OG's.
  • I go about my everyday life feeling like Tardelli m8
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha, love that, played early rocket league and really enjoyed it, but yeah the difference between skill and luck seems pretty small a lot of the time
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm risking Tempy's Wrath by going for a genre but pretty much any MP shooter. I liked Doom. Could go for the odd bit of Halo. That's it. Put people on a map with the aim of shooting each other and I will be bored by it very quickly. Seeing as half the planet seems to quite like those games, this really limits my online MP options. You can't easily dip into them either. It's all or nothing.  That they're mostly FPS doesn't help. But it's something to do with the format itself. I couldn't get on with Gears either. Or Splatoon.
  • I'll play classic Doom with peeps, using gzdoom here.
  • Assuming you can mp on gzdoom
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I could agree with that, maybe why I never super enjoyed Halo. I did like MAG and Warhawk which did this but it was probbaly more as the spectacle of doing it online in that world, however my skill level stopped me sticking around too long
  • Splatoon is a good one. I think the single player in no.2 (and DLC) is up there with Nintendo's most enjoyable solo 3D experiences, it's absolutely brilliant, but the meat and potatoes is supposedly the multiplayer...which I don't fancy at all. I love the game, but painting parts of the stage to win by percentage isn't for me. I have tried it, I just don't like it.
  • Almost all online MP gaming for me, but yeah, especially FPS stuff. Partly because it's a genre I never felt I was good at. But generally I suppose I like to move through games at my own pace these days.
  • JonB wrote:
    Almost all online MP gaming for me, but yeah, especially FPS stuff. Partly because it's a genre I never felt I was good at. But generally I suppose I like to move through games at my own pace these days.

I like to move through games at my own pace, plus they need to have an end so i can move on. The online games are there to keep.you in that constant reward loop and never end.
  • monkey wrote:
    I'm risking Tempy's Wrath by going for a genre but pretty much any MP shooter. I liked Doom. Could go for the odd bit of Halo. That's it. Put people on a map with the aim of shooting each other and I will be bored by it very quickly. Seeing as half the planet seems to quite like those games, this really limits my online MP options. You can't easily dip into them either. It's all or nothing.  That they're mostly FPS doesn't help. But it's something to do with the format itself. I couldn't get on with Gears either. Or Splatoon.

That's better than picking a single game, IMO
  • Popular game I am glad I didn’t like... 
    the fucking last guardian
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Why are you glad you didn’t like something?  Surely life would be better to like as much as possible and then take joy from this enjoyment rather than enjoying your dislike? Maybee
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    What is enjoying dislike but having joy
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Splatoon is a good one. I think the single player in no.2 (and DLC) is up there with Nintendo's most enjoyable solo 3D experiences, it's absolutely brilliant, but the meat and potatoes is supposedly the multiplayer...which I don't fancy at all. I love the game, but painting parts of the stage to win by percentage isn't for me. I have tried it, I just don't like it.

This all the way.
  • Popular game I am glad I didn’t like... 
    the fucking last guardian

I lasted 20mins with that. One of my worse all time purchases.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Also, this is a top thread idea, enjoying reading the hot takes all round, nice one retro :)

Yeah I've enjoyed reading people's posts.

I think I echo the Souls and GTA's that a few have listed.

I was stupid enough to buy GTAIII three times, once on PS2, PC and Xbox before finally giving up. Definitely up there (down there) with Smash and Wipeout for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Reminded myself of Little Big Planet in the X meets Y thread.

Utterly charming aesthetic, beautiful music and characters and it was let down immensely by poor platforming, and massive, massive patches every time you wanted to try it your ps3 threatened to devour your monthly d/l quota.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • So I mentioned that RTS often work with me and Total Warhammer II was a game I'd love to try. Well not ony is it on sale on Steam but there is a free weekend so downloading now. Really hope it clicks with me - love the warhammer world.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It’s not really a true RTS though, it’s Grand Strategy with real-time battles! Yet proper RTS games are AoE etc. Dead genre these day.

Total War 2 is great though, best Total War game.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It’s not really a true RTS though, it’s Grand Strategy with real-time battles! Yet proper RTS games are AoE etc. Dead genre these day. Total War 2 is great though, best Total War game.

Played about 40 minutes and you may be right on that. It's a beautful looking game though, but a wee bit daunting.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I love RPGs in general and I love anime so you'd think JRPGs would be right up my alley, but I don't think I've ever played one I liked.

The turn based combat bores me to tears and random battles make me want to throw the controller through a window. Just let me go where I fucking want to!
  • Try Bravely Default. It can be frstrating with encounter rates early on, but you can turn it to 0, 50%, 100%, 150% or double.

But it is turn based. 

Might still be a demo on 3DS if you ever want, otherwise the other style seems to be Trials of Mana/Xenoblade/Ni No Kuni combat.

Or Ogre Battle 64
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Today has reminded me of other games for this list for me.

Super Paper Mario & Luigi RPG's
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I played 5hrs of the GC Paper Mario and maybe 8hrs of Superstar Saga on GBA. Annoyed with myself for drifting away but that's the way it went back then.
  • I think they're meant to be the best two from what I've read/heard.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!