Popular games series you wish you liked but don't
  • I haven't because I know I won't. Does that count?

Yup.  I've even watched a strim of it because it's clearly well made and great-if-you-like-that-sort-of-thing, but there's just no way I'd enjoy it.  It's an intriguing game, yet I've got zero desire try it for myself.

Edit: Slay the Spire.
  • I could mention a few series on here that i've not even attempted by straight away i have no interest in. Which is unfair on said games. Buy what the heck.

I've never played a Ass Creed, God of War, Just Cause, Saints Row.

Tried Elite but didnt gel with it and No Man Sky just looks boring. JRPGs are too long. Roughlikes dont work for me.

Gaming time being more limited as i get older and having a baby means i have to be much more selective about what i invest my gaming time into.

Chancing a 60hr game on the off chance i will like it, isnt me. Besides games i do like i get fed up if they go on for too long. Spiderman was a good example of less is more. Too much gumpf that didnt need to be in the game.

I'll shut up now.
  • Some of these things mentioned aren't series. Useless.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yup.

No!

You have to try it. When you try it you'll like it, and after a bit you'll love it, and after a bit more you'll be obsessed. That's how it works.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Tempy wrote:
    Some of these things mentioned aren't series. Useless.

In the future they are.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If they weren't so rubbish they could've been
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yup.
    No! You have to try it. When you try it you'll like it, and after a bit you'll love it, and after a bit more you'll be obsessed. That's how it works.

giphy.gif
  • Yeah that's what they all look like before, but they all look the same after. That feverish look in their eyes when they're pretending to listen to the missus and kids but are glancing down at the laptop and wondering how long it's going to be for one more sweet sweet shot.
  • Silent Hill. Now i love horror games and survival horror. Some how and i dont know how i never have completed one. I start SH1, and i think i played SH4 but neither were completed. I've finished every RE game i can think of, but not SH. Dunno why. Fan of twin peaks as well so i would have though the setting would work for me but no. I really enjoyed Deadky Premonition which is a homage to twin peaks and i didnt complete that either (but thats not a series). I would love a HD remake of the core SH series, i have the xbox 360 collection again unplayed.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Some of these things mentioned aren't series. Useless.

Other than No Mans Sky they are sequels. I did go off on a tangent i must admit.
  • Not you, all the other people in here talking shit. Heathens.
  • I blame Dino.
  • And wine.
  • Wino.
  • From Software games, particularly Dark Souls, is a clear standout for me. I love the story, the way it's told and the characters. Just cannot do the combat, the UI and the stress of carrying souls. I like playing games that are mildly challenging and not too punishing. I marvel at speedrunners for this game.

I'd like to like platformers in general, like Metroid and Hollow Knight. They have great stories. But I lack precision and button coordination at the best of times.

I'd like to be good at FPSs and do online multiplayer and not suck completely. But that ain't happening either.
  • Wino and Dino, coming soon to a Netflix near you. Two old, very drunk overweight maverick cops not playing buy the rules because they've forgotten them and are generally falling over, puking and passing out mid-chase. I'd watch that.
  • It's totally the best game and if you two tried it you'd love it. Everyone who plays it loves it. Oh yes.

I hate roguelikes and ccgs. What about this roguelike ccg game do you think I'd like?

On that note I bounced hard off Spelunky. Mentioned it on here, but I just cant find any fun in it. Never understood Pokemon either.
  • I hate roguelikes and ccgs. What about this roguelike ccg game do you think I'd like?

I still have no idea what a roguelike actually is so I can't answer that specifically. What I do know is that you won't understand this game until you play it. Internet stream things won't help.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's totally the best game and if you two tried it you'd love it. Everyone who plays it loves it. Oh yes.

I hate roguelikes and ccgs. What about this roguelike ccg game do you think I'd like?

On that note I bounced hard off Spelunky. Mentioned it on here, but I just cant find any fun in it. Never understood Pokemon either.

So Dante have to say I am with you on the rogue likes. Can’t think of one that I have liked and apart from about half an hour of Hearthstone haven’t really played any CCG’s. But. There is just something about Slay The Spire that makes you want to have one more go. I haven’t been as addicted to a game like this for years. The last game I sunk this many hours into was Destiny.

And I also agree on the Pokemon. Don’t get it.
  • The Dark Souls references in here make me sad. I hated it at first, really didn't get it at all. It might be my favourite game of all time now. Saying that, I do get why some just don't click with it despite giving it a fair shake. I don't think I would now if I came to it cold these days. Even DS3 pushed me to my limits (I summoned help for the first time across the series). I just don't think I have the patience these days for such challenging games.
  • Has anyone tried Slay the Spire and not liked it? I've yet to find anyone and was just curious.

Loathed it. Turn based card shite makes me yawn.
  • In terms of games I appreciate are regarded as good, but Ive never ever played:

Civilisation
    Football Manager
    Most Lucas Arts point and click games (save Full Throttle)
    Total War

I reckon the sliding door moment was Gunstar Heroes. I could have gone from Amiga to PC had I not seen that game in the mid 90s. Instead I went Amiga to Mega Drive.

I wouldnt include stuff like Ass Creed or From Soft games. I know the latter are good (not the former) but I'm just not interested in the content.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Smash Brothers. Had it on 3 different platforms, hated it every time. Definitely learned my lesson now.
  • Yeah, that one is not for me either. Cant figure the controls and probably because Ive stuck with more normal fighters like Namco, Capcom and Sega ones.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can't see what's going on in handheld mode on the Switch either.
  • I bought the original smash on 64 day one and loved it, played it to death. Never liked any of the others at all and have no desire to play them. Hugely popular at work though, group of 10+ play it every lunch and have their own tournaments. Fair play to them.
  • Also, this is a top thread idea, enjoying reading the hot takes all round, nice one retro :)
  • Not so much a series but a whole genre I'd love to 'get' is real time strategies like total warhammer. I love the look of them and the concept but the execution leaves me absolutely stumped once things get hectic. I love turn based stuff so I guess it's having the time to think that's the big difference but even in the early days I found them fun at start and then gradually build to just a messy feeling.

I do plan to give total warhammer a try at some point, love GW stuff, but I've a feeling it will get kicked to the curb after a few battles.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Has anyone tried Slay the Spire and not liked it? I've yet to find anyone and was just curious.
    Loathed it. Turn based card shite makes me yawn.

We have a winner!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!