Book Club
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    He's decidedly selfish, never once thinking of anyone else. But it's impossible to know if that's due to mental health issues vs or personality trait (if that's even a meaningful distinction).

Obviously it appears as if he hurt Gracie with his blank manuscript but if that is to be believed it says he has been unwell for a long time before he lost his job, father and then her. I think she was possibly very unwell too and the pair were a dangerous fit for each other. Nothing sinister, but they both reached breaking points.

I'm going with well meaning but unwell and afraid.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Sorry I have been absent in this thread. I fell behind with my reading. Still making my way through Narrow...

I really liked The Builders though. Excellent little story. Super refreshing to read such a short and efficiently written book. Would definitely read more stuff set in this universe.
  • It's the perfect book where in a sequel everything could fall to shit and be even better.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    He's decidedly selfish, never once thinking of anyone else. But it's impossible to know if that's due to mental health issues vs or personality trait (if that's even a meaningful distinction).

Obviously it appears as if he hurt Gracie with his blank manuscript but if that is to be believed it says he has been unwell for a long time before he lost his job, father and then her. I think she was possibly very unwell too and the pair were a dangerous fit for each other. Nothing sinister, but they both reached breaking points.

I'm going with well meaning but unwell and afraid.

Yeah, I think that's fair enough. I definitely went from disliking him and thinking he was a dick to pitying him as the book progressed.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • So, that there Affirmation. This is a novel about a pretty unlikely guy who has relationship issues and in coming to terms with these, begins to create and reside (escape) in an alternative world, the Dream Archipelago. He begins to slip between the two worlds and it becomes unclear what it is real and what is fiction. The first person narration is questionable, in that the main protagonist is a wholly unreliable writer - you're not sure what is real and what is a lie. The Dream Archipelago parts reminded me of one of the Clive Barker books I read when I was in my teens - Imajica possibly? There's no real fantastical part to these sections, but they do seem ethereal, otherworldly and dream-like. It's really well written throughout, though totally accessible. It serves as a parable on relationship breakdowns and I wallowed in it.

What I found most rewarding was that Priest doesn’t really go overboard with description of the archipelago and so it seems very grounded within our own world, whilst having just enough edge to seem somewhat otherworldly.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Oh man, Imajica. What a great book.
    Get schwifty.
  • Is the ending an invitation to join Peter's world? If a blank manuscript holds so much meaning for him then is it the reader who is essentially 'Peter' from that point on, having been recreated after undergoing the process?

In that sense athanasia is Peter being recreated each time someone reads it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Is this read in the stated month and discuss the month after? I already came close to buying Before the Coffee Gets Cold of my own volition so I'll join in this time.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yeah. Affirmation was July, so it's open slather on that now it's August. BTCGC is this month's read. I'm pretty sure people put spoiler tags in the current month if they need to discuss.
  • Rattled through BTCGC in a few hours. An enjoyable, gentle and philosophical read. 

Must admit to having been bit concerned when this bit of writing appeared inside 5 pages
    Spoiler:
    Just seemed a bit GCSE English for my liking. 

Anyway,
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Anyway, turns out we have a copy of this so I will start.

0A4hSLg.jpg

Wonder if the translation has anything to do with language. Flora has read a lot of Japanese literature and has said it is just written quite Orwell-esque.
  • So where is Ten Thousand Doors going?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just checked.  October is open.  I feel like Muzzy should have his first proper full choice.  So he’s not swayed, (unless he really wants it) I’ll make Thousand Doors my next choice.)
    Get schwifty.
  • After listening to this doc I read The Sun Does Shine in one sitting. It's stupid powerful and I bawled like a dick.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Oops wrong thread, but you should add it to the list. I haven't cried in anger since I was about six.
  • Is there a comic thread? My moms loft clear out has yielded a fair few old comics. Need to know tge best place to off load.

Got a huge pile of Marvel Star Wars, hulk, super spiderman and eagle comics
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Is there a comic thread?
    Yes.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    comic thread??

the whole forum's a joke
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Starting Before the Coffee Gets Cold...now!
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah I started this morning. Its very plainly written
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    You’re not wrong.
    Get schwifty.
  • The writer is fond of miniskirts.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    @Raiz

In speaking to flora, who had already read it (it's her copy I am using) and other Japanese novels, she has suggested this is actually a trait of the language / translation process. There seems to be far less adjective based writing / purple prose in Japanse literature and so it comes across as a lot more blunt to us.
  • They don't have as many words and also they are squares.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    @Raiz In speaking to flora, who had already read it (it's her copy I am using) and other Japanese novels, she has suggested this is actually a trait of the language / translation process. There seems to be far less adjective based writing / purple prose in Japanse literature and so it comes across as a lot more blunt to us.

Fair enough.  It’s not really panning out in English, is it.  Had I tried a sample (I will be doing this in future) I would not have gone ahead with a purchase.  It’s pretty bad.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Here we go again. I know it's objective and all but Raiziel is very consistent in his wrongness
  • He was right about Skyrim mind.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m right about all sorts of good stuff.

I’m beginning to think muzzy is my Mr. Glass.
    Get schwifty.
  • Not Skyrim though...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!