Book Club
  • Good idea, I don’t get through things quickly!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • JonB wrote:
    That's great. I wasn't sure I wanted to fork out for it, but do want to read it.

It's pretty long for this though. Maybe we want to set out to read a few select chapters rather than the whole thing?

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    It reads really quickly though. At least the Dutch version did.

I wasn't that interested in reading it myself (B got it from his mom, but he wasn't reading it) but since the libraries were closed it was the only thing I could read at the start of lockdown.

I was glad I read through all of it in end. There's some interesting insights in there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll read that.

As a shout for next month, I'd love to shout The Parade by Dave Eggers which I started reading before pregnancy went mad, and I'd like to focus on. It appears to be about making a road / racism.

So yeah.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I'll read that. As a shout for next month, I'd love to shout The Parade by Dave Eggers which I started reading before pregnancy went mad, and I'd like to focus on. It appears to be about making a road / racism. So yeah.

Booked for October.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I should also add it is incredibly short.
  • Nina wrote:
    It reads really quickly though. At least the Dutch version did. I wasn't that interested in reading it myself (B got it from his mom, but he wasn't reading it) but since the libraries were closed it was the only thing I could read at the start of lockdown. I was glad I read through all of it in end. There's some interesting insights in there.
    I've started it. It's certainly very relevant to my areas of interest, as expected.

I've contacted him to do an interview about it as well, but I have a feeling he's too famous for the likes of me these days.
  • Okay I finished the coffee book. I think overall is kind of sweet if a little too rigidly defined by the fact it was a play.

The format of the space being fixed and the act structure (although I think a more traditonal Japanese 4 rather than a 3) is a bit too distinct. The thread is very tenuous between the chapters - it’s vey much “and this happens” sort of story telling and the fourth act change in pace and new rules feels too much of a surprise to me.

I quite enjoyed the way they balanced how much time travel could change things - like in the first act the person manages to change the future while maintaining the positions of all the people in time and space.

I also kind of liked the Proust allusions with regards to the hot beverage nostalgia.

What I didn’t quite get what the characters - they seemed a bit thin to me. In particular I feel like Hirai was the oddest in the way just happily absorbed a dream she had no desire for.

Overall decent.
  • I thought it was decent. Nothing special, but it achieved what it wanted to in quite an efficient manner.

The simplicity and disjointedness of the prose could be said to work if the aim was to create a sort of awkward atmosphere overall, which I feel like it was. The whole thing is about regret and not saying what you wanted to when you had the chance, so shame and embarrassment and stifling social convention are central to it. I don't know if that's generally a theme with Japanese literature, but I figure it probably is to an extent at least.

Plotwise, it certainly hit its emotional moments. These are big tragic personal events that you can't necessarily do anything about, but have to learn to accept and even make the best of, and it got that across. It's all very clear and on the surface about what it's trying to say, to the point of spelling it out, but it's always going to be a poignant message.

So yeah, fine, basically.

One disappointment though:
    Spoiler:
  • I'm halfway through Bregman already. It is a pretty easy read really. And very good.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    This might actually been my favourite along with The Builders so far (haven't read the first one yet). It reminded me a bit of Midnight Diner on Netflix.

Took a bit to get used to the writing, but I've had that with most books so far, so can't really hold that against it. I enjoyed how they give you just enough information to set the scenes, but leave enough open for you to fill in. Makes you almost feel part of the gang. Everything comes together at the end quite nicely. 

And while I hoped they would do more with the ghost woman, it didn't feel as a disappointment to me.
  • I thought the last one
    Spoiler:
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    do we still need the spoilers?
    Spoiler:
  • I guess we don’t. It was more of a prediction rather than anything. It’s a bit like the old Chekhov’s gun - they set up a whole bunch of rules and consequences but none of them happen. I thought it was going towards a way that meant she could still see her baby.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    but isn't that what makes it good? nothing changes, only your perception of a situation you're familiar with.
  • Yeah, I think it would have undermined it somewhat if someone had actually done something with their time travel. It's about stuff you really can't change, you just have to accept in some way.
  • I liked in the first chapter that in a sense fumiko(?) did change the Present because while her boyfriend did abruptly leave he also is likely to be a different person (or is he? Maybe the conversations are merely getting things off your chest). I was less keen on the third where it felt the woman gave up everything for nothing in her heart but purely others hearts and guilt.

I just think they created a lot of tensions which had no repercussions or pay offs. And I thought it would have been nice if this horrific idea of being cursed became the only way a mother could see her child. It might have been cheesy (and obviously the cooling had a real tension in the last scene where they messed up the conversation a fair bit) but I wondered if they would have someone be cursed in this way and it not feel monstrous.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've just finished it (perfect timing :P). I feel much less positive than you lot, feel it's the weakest of the ones this far. I'm normally a big fan of modern Japanese literature, but the plot didn't really do anything for me, and the text didn't for nearly as well as other translated works I've read. Some vaguely interesting stuff but basically a big meh from me.

I'm the plus side, I vaguely agree with Raiziel, so uh woooo
  • I didn't like it much all in all. Quite dull and the plot did little of interest, for me.

I can imagine it working rather well as a play, but whether it was the original version or the translation itself, I found reading this bit of a chore. It just never quite got into gear. Still, it's always good to read something a little different, even when it doesn't work for you.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm the plus side, I vaguely agree with Raiziel, so uh woooo

It had to happen sooner or later. Embrace the feeling.

I only got fifty or so pages into Before the Coffee Gets Cold before I had to put it down. The prose was, for my particular tastes, painful to read. Very clunky. Not only that but what I’d read up to that point felt very juvenile to me. Fumiko’s interior monologues, for example, sounded like they were coming from the mind of a fourteen year old girl rather than a grown woman. I didn’t get much from the characters either, they seemed like paper thin caricatures. This didn’t so much read as the adaptation of a play, but rather an adaptation of an anime.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Guess who just discovered a nice hardback copy of The Narrow Road to the Deep North in the pile it books they should have sorted through months ago.

FML.
  • Started Humankind. I know I'm going to enjoy this when it had the hairs on the back of my neck at attention within the first few chapters.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Is this the general book thread too?

Just took delivery of Dune from Folio Society. My first purchase from them. Bloody hell, I can see why they’re expensive. Amazingly high quality paper and artwork and cover and everything!

Not read this before. Will get cracking.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • There is a more general book thread but it’s hard to find.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Is this the general book thread too?

Just took delivery of Dune from Folio Society. My first purchase from them. Bloody hell, I can see why they’re expensive. Amazingly high quality paper and artwork and cover and everything!

Not read this before. Will get cracking.

I read it at the beginning of the year. Wasn’t keen.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Is this the general book thread too?
    There is a more general book thread but it’s hard to find.

http://thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/48/the-bb-book-review/p1
  • Hard to find was that I couldn’t be arsed. I don’t like using links or searching for them on this website because it logs you out.
  • Well, that’s still not a general book thread. It’s a book review thread.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Classic Elf
  • Classic Muzzy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!