Book Club
  • Sorry, will suggest today!

Time is relative!

Let's go for... Kraken, by China Mieville, unless there are any objections in which case shut up and I'll pick How to Lose the Time War.
  • So tempted to pick Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft (which is a wonderfully bonkers novel) or another Becky Chambers book...
  • I was contemplating choosing 'How to Lose the Time War' - wonderful book that Tigro. 

Can't quite the same about this month's choice. 
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Was able to put a hold on Kraken, so I did that. Had a look at this months book, 32 copies that are all in peoples homes, 177 people that have it on hold. Might be a while before I can read that.

Is How to Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar? Only audio or ebooks available, so can't borrow that either.

Senlin Ascends was available, so put a hold on that as well, just in case.

Finished The Angry Planet thing, it's alright. Never really grabbed me, but it has some nice paragraphs. Was a bit annoyed with the beginning, where everything seemed to go wrong for no real reason (The Pair dying, Sissix molting, the mantis attack "shouldn't happen for a while" but of course it happens when the squad is there.) Didn't find it as offensive as Raiziel, it was easy enough to read.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    In terms of this month's book
    Spoiler:

Hair with either choice for Feb, just let us know which it is!

And still enjoying American War!
  • Kraken it is then!

I've read How to Lose the Time War and don't fancy a re-read yet, but as Stopharage says... get on it. Only short, too.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Let's get the op updated! And @shabbymccrabby you're up for March assuming we stick to the current rotation!
  • Leave the World Behind
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Similar view from me, though I'd be less generous on the writing.
    Spoiler:

American War, meanwhile, ticks on. Thing in gonna finish it before starting Kraken as in enjoying it and otherwise it'll never get finished!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    IT'S A NEW MONTH

Anyone else read Jan's?
  • Yep, will put some thoughts down tomorrow.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    LIAR!
  • Ooh, Kraken - that's good and weird.

I'd bowed out of this after failing to finish Humankind (not because I didn't like it but for some reason I struggle to get through non fiction like I do fiction) and the follow up suggestion being a Dave Eggers book. I fucking hate Eggers, irrationally and with a passion. I tried reading "A Heartbreaking Work...' years ago and found it so smug and unlikable that I threw it in the bin. Haven't gone near a book of his since.

I've got American War lined up though and I may re read Kraken once I've finished the book in on at the moment.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I liked Leave the World Behind for what it was; a thin, vertical slice of the apocalypse from a relatable domestic viewpoint.  All the characters were flawed enough to be believable and, crucially, the story doesn’t outstay its welcome.  I’m not a fan at all of the third person omniscient viewpoint, but for the most part I thought the author wrote well enough that it never got in the way of my enjoyment.  He writes lovingly of food, and I for one enjoyed the early shopping trip.  I did, however, feel ever so slightly uneasy from time to time by the way he wrote about the children, it almost seemed like he was objectifying them.  As for how it ends, well, for a moment there he really starts to ratchet up the tension and anxiety, and while I never expected a big finish, it’s a shame all the air went out of the narrative at the last minute and it ended with a damp fart rather than something more emotionally dramatic.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    LIAR!

Oops!

Right, total love hate relationship with LtWB. I really liked the premise, and some of the observations about young families and the feelings of aging, race etc. were very well realised. Some of the prose was excellent, but, and this is the big but for me, some of it just felt massively over-written. Efforts to build tension, like when GH first arrived at the door, were hugely undermined for me by the overdescribing of actions and feelings of the characters, to the point of sheer boredom. I'm sure Alam was aiming for a sort of tantric build up to stuff, but I just don't think any of the pay-offs in the story were worth it. A lot of passages seemed to me like Alam was attempting to write to score points for some sort of creative writing course, squeezing as many similies and metaphors in as possible and losing my interest along the way. I would've been happy if it had been 1/2 - 2/3 the length, or with some better actual story to reward the effort of getting through the meandering prose.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yeah, I felt like that as well. There's no need to explain how the characters feel about every little thing that's said or done. Or not at such length at least. Once it established who they were, it felt excessive.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I've finally finished December's book, with January's having overtaken. I fear I will have to skip February and rejoin at March... Who's up next anyhow? And how's the current book kraken along?

Edit: tis shabby, I believe...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Picked up Kraken and Senlin Ascends just the other day. I'm finishing something different, and then I'll start on Kraken. Which has a lot more pages than I thought.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Let's get the op updated! And @shabbymccrabby you're up for March assuming we stick to the current rotation!

Oh! Did I miss it?

I haven't been keeping up but I can pick something
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yup do it!
  • I was tempted to pick Children of Blood and Bone but I'm not sure how YA fantasy would go down among the group
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'll try anything twice
  • I read kids lit and YA. Have that on my shelf, in fact.
  • In that you've already read it? Should I pick another book so you don't have a month off?
  • I've only read a bit - Would be absolutely fine with it as a pick!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    IT'S A PICK LET'S DO THIS
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    In that you've already read it? Should I pick another book so you don't have a month off?

You happy with that choice then, Shabby? If so i’ll update the op.
    Get schwifty.
  • I aim to read Kraken, but it might take a while. Perhaps I'll stretch it out over next month as well.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I was tempted to pick Children of Blood and Bone but I'm not sure how YA fantasy would go down among the group
    I think I might have that on a to-read list somewhere.

Now to find time to finish Kraken and Senlin before next month...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!