Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm still reading it. Only at 60% so it's gonna eat into this month (where I'm keen too read it too!). Not enough hours in the day!

This far, it's kinda been ok. Kinda an interesting world etc, but decidedly YA, so the descriptions are pretty shallow (kinda disappointing given the world), and the narration likewise. And it kinda lurches all over the place in a way that isn't wholly coherent. But yeah if you squint at all that at least it's not ya big standard high fantasy, quite.

Raiziel would hate it, I think.
  • Still working through the Fucking Kraken (also been reading Dune and the first Mistborn novel). This month’s sounds like my bag so gonna put everything else to one side and jump in.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Raiziel would hate it, I think.

Probably true. I’m done with YA now. I’ve tried a few, and haven’t liked any of them. I mean I didn’t even read young adult when I was a young adult.
    Get schwifty.
  • I've really struggled with reading so far this year. My mind just isn't in it. Haven't even picked Kraken up for a while.

Definitely the weakest Mieville, for me. A bit too much self-indulgence before he hit Top Tier with Embassytown and The City and The City.

I bounced off CoBaB at about 50% when I read it previously.
  • I think I'll join in for this month as I have Piranesi on my 'to read' list. I have the kindle file to share if anyone wants or needs it?
  • I hate to say it but I think I agree with Muzzy! Bleugh.

I'm not all the way through with blood and bone but I am enjoying it. I think I perhaps expected a little more from it other than the cool setting judging from the reviews and stuff.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Third in line for Piranesi, we'll see if it happens soon,

Think I've about a 100 pages left of Children of Blood and Bone, and I actually really enjoy it. Yes, it's a simple story, but it works for me. I've always like it when they do the character swaps for chapters.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Looks like I can pick up Piranesi tomorrow, so that's good, specially since I finished Children of Blood and Bone last night.

I liked CoBaB, yes you know from the beginning how the story will go, but I still enjoyed going on the journey, there were some surprises along the way, and I think the way she wrote the feeling of oppression black people experience in quite a good way. Not too on the nose, but still there.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Finished Piranesi.  I done picked a good book.

Who wants to pick something for next month?  If we’re going by the existing list then I think @Vela would be up next.
    Get schwifty.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm being super slow with Piranesi, but I hope to be able to get through it before the end of this month. It's not a hard read so far, even with all the Capitalized Words all the time. Seems interesting, but it hasn't fully grabbed me yet. This could also be because I play MHRise closer to bedtime, and my mind is just not at rest as much.
  • A pal of mine did a good article about videogames and Piranesi over at Fanbyte.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Heh, B played that game in the first screenshot. Will read full article once I'm done with the book, not sure if the first paragraph might have contained a spoiler, but it does point my brain in certain directions.

Am a little over a third in I think.
    Spoiler:
    So far so good
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Finished Piranesi.  I done picked a good book.
    Yes you did. Thank you for that. Just finished.

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    :)
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm still only on the closing chapters of the last one. FML. What's up next, need to decide which to pick given I'm now running behind...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I don’t know. I was beginning to think book club was wheezing it’s last breath. Uptake is pretty low now, and folk who pick books aren’t even bothering to finish their own choices. I guess Vela’s not interested in picking another book, so if anyone else wants to have a go let us know, otherwise we’ll just let it die.
    Get schwifty.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Vela hasn't been around much at all I think, hope life isn't being too rough for them.

I find it hard to recommend anything, as I've used this thread to get back to reading, and it worked so far. If we're gonna let it die (which I'm fine with, it was started at the beginning of lockdown after all and that has changed for a lot of us by now) I'll just pick and choose from the other book thread. Or manga.

Muzzy, definitely pick up Piranesi, it's beautiful.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I don’t know. I was beginning to think book club was wheezing it’s last breath. Uptake is pretty low now, and folk who pick books aren’t even bothering to finish their own choices. I guess Vela’s not interested in picking another book, so if anyone else wants to have a go let us know, otherwise we’ll just let it die.
    ?
  • I think I’ve missed three books since this started. I’m not an especially fast reader, tend to get half an hour a night, but I’ve enjoyed trying books I normally wouldn’t have considered.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I wasn't really getting on with Piranesi for the first 15% of the book but it's really grown on me since then. Feels like it could be set in part the Dark Souls universe and I would love to play a game set in this world. Will take me another week or so finish this off but it's really improved as its gone on.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    I wasn't really getting on with Piranesi for the first 15% of the book but it's really grown on me since then. Feels like it could be set in part the Dark Souls universe and I would love to play a game set in this world. Will take me another week or so finish this off but it's really improved as its gone on.
    Tempy posted a link that mentioned ECHO, which might scratch that itch? I know B played that and liked it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    If you read Piranesi then please feel free to share your thoughts on it.

I loved it.  I went into it expecting to love it even though I had no idea at all what it was about, and that’s because it was written by Susanna Clarke.  I’ve only read one other book by Clarke.  To my uncertain knowledge she’s only published three books, but her debut, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, was so beautifully written that I just felt there was no way I wasn’t going to enjoy it.  She could have written about returning a library book and I would’ve loved it.  She’s a beautiful writer, and I value beautiful prose pretty much above everything.  Fortunately Piranesi has a great, left-of-field story too, and as expected, Clarke’s prose is immaculate.  It could be argued that Strange & Norrell is a little flabby, but here she writes with absolute discipline.  Not a word feels wasted.

It was especially fun in the first quarter of the narrative, as the mystery of what the hell is going on begins to unfold.  I love it when the reader is thrown in at the deep end and challenged to work out what on earth is going on.  I suspected that the world was a computer algorithm to begin with, and Piranesi the spearhead, working on a problem set by the Other.  I was happy to be wrong, but I loved that initial space where I could try to work out what was going on before the story begins to coalesce.

I loved it, I loved it, I loved it.  I wish Clarke was more prolific, but at least I still have The Ladies of Grace Adieu for later in the year.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Haven't read it, add only just finished the previous month's.

... which I thought was kinda ok but basically pretty meh / YA by numbers. Intriguing world but it never properly drew me in.

Will try Piranesi tho, given y'all looked it. Haven't read Snorrel & Whatsit though so maybe I'll give that a go first :-/

I basically need to get through more books...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I picked up Strange & Mr Norrell when I returned Piranesi to the library, so clearly it did a lot of things right. I'm also gonna get it for my mom (Piranesi) even though I'm not sure if it holds up in Dutch. The back cover text I could see online made it sound less good than it is.

I loved Piranesi, although it was a bit weird finding out the main character is actually a grown up, but I guess that's part of the House's deal. Was a joy to discover the world through him, having to adjust what you know about the truth and what you value.
    I agree with pretty much everything Raiziel mentioned, Clarke gives you just enough in the beginning to start making up theories in your head, slowly having to adjust once you learn with the main character. At the point where real World objects start to appear, it starts all to make more sense and I thought that was quite a nice way of exposing the story.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Snorrel & Whatsit is a BIG book, muzzy.  Don’t take it up unless you’re in for the long haul.  Piranesi is more accessible, and shorter too.  Might be worth starting there if you’re not exactly powering through books at the moment.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    So glad you enjoyed the book, Nina.  :)  Jonathan Strange & Mister Norrell is a great read.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Snorrel & Whatsit is a BIG book, muzzy.  Don’t take it up unless you’re in for the long haul.  Piranesi is more accessible, and shorter too.  Might be worth starting there if you’re not exactly powering through books at the moment.

OK, that's useful to hear!
  • Read it. Was very good.

That's all you get.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    And on that high note, thanks all for your input.
    Get schwifty.
  • Not gonna lie, was a little riled about your comments re: people 'not even bothering' to finish their selected books when you have no real insight into why that might be, Raz.

Sorry.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!