#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Did you finish Kraken? If so, cool, but we didn’t get to hear about it. If I have no insight, it’s because I wasn’t informed. Sorry you’re upset about whatever.
    Get schwifty.
  • Fuck me.

It doesn't take insight not to make snide comments. And, no, I didn't finish Kraken. Again, sorry.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    All I did was merely state a reason why it might be a good idea to bin book club. Seemed like a good one to me. Apologies if you took exception to it.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fwiw I'm happy to carry on with it. Maybe we take a month of (cos I'm a month behind ahem) and use it to see if we can rekindle anything for June? I've enjoyed trying things I might not have otherwise read, sharing opinions (even if not with everybody), and getting a slight nudge to actually see books through...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    More than happy to carry on with book club on a here-and-there basis.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Or maybe we could do a book each season?
    Get schwifty.
  • Anyone up for Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir for June’s book? Or summer’s book? Or whatever we’re doing - maybe a 6 week turnaround?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh, Martian dude? Would like to read. When's it hitting paperback? Need my local library to reopen...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m up for Project Hail Mary in June or whenever.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Ooh, Martian dude? Would like to read. When's it hitting paperback? Need my local library to reopen...

Paperback?

Paper? Back?

Is that some kind of special edition kindle or something?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've been wanting to support local bookshops some more, now they're open again. But this was like £20.
  • I've been a bad reader I must admit but I've bought a bunch of the books mentioned here and are slowly making my way through them. I haven't contributed much discussion but I do enjoy the thread!

I'll definitely be checking out that Piranesi book, sounds great.
  • I haven't read anything in the last couple of months. I keep meaning to catch up in here, but haven't had time.

Honestly, I think it would be more interesting if there was more discussion after each book. It might motivate more of us to finish books in time as well.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Actually just finished Project Hail Mary last night, I have interesting thoughts which I will happily discuss when everyone else has had chance to read it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hm, the library only has that as an ebook and I don't read those. So I either have to buy it, or go on ebay which will probably not be cheaper.

Currently about 130 pages into Senlin Ascends, and I just learned this is actually part of a series... Feels like that could become a bit of a drag. It feels very busy and cramped to read after the beautiful open-ess Piranesi treated us with.

If I can finish that this month, I might see how I feel about actually buying a book, otherwise I'll start my really thick Susanna Clarke book with the long title that I forgot.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I won't be joining this book club, as I'd never read the book in time, I'm

A

Very 

Slow reader

But I am getting through Hail Mary pretty quickly, about a third of the way through. I've enjoyed his other two books.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    For some reason there's suddenly 25 copies now, all checked out though. 48th in line, 57th for Leave the World Behind. Might not get to it in time, but will read it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    We’re not exactly doing things on a monthly basis anymore, Nina.  I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem if we were to wait for you to get hold of a copy.
    Get schwifty.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Turns out I did get this in time, am almost halfway through, it's a pretty easy read so far. Haven't read or seen The Martian, and can't say I'm blown away by this so far. 

Would like to read Questor's and Boris's opinion about this, it seems really popular.
  • I think the Martian’s a much tighter book. This one’s a bit overindulgent. Still enjoying it. Got just a few pages left.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    I think the Martian’s a much tighter book. This one’s a bit overindulgent. Still enjoying it. Got just a few pages left.

Agreed. I’m about 90% in.

Edit - I think there are a lot of conveniences and the main character is a walking Deus Ex Machina.

Positives are that the overall setting and the challenge is very well imagined. And  some of the supporting characters are interesting and memorable.

I’d put his books in order of best to worst as he’s released them.

1. The Martian
    2. Artemis (really enjoyed the world and would enjoy another story in this setting)
    3. Project: Hail Mary
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Edit - I think there are a lot of conveniences and the main character is a walking Deus Ex Machina. Positives are that the overall setting and the challenge is very well imagined.
    This is where I'm at with it as well, about halfway through. It hasn't managed to surprise me yet, but the challenge presented is at least interesting enough to keep the story going for now.
    Spoiler:

For The Martian, book first then movie, or just pick one? I think I have the movie somewhere.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I watched the movie first but still enjoyed the book. That is not necessarily a recommendation. The book adds nice detail to the film which I liked. But really like Matt Damon’s performance. It’s a very rewatchable film imo.

With Hail Mary there’s too much of…
    Spoiler:
  • Catch 22 is the funniest book anyone has ever written. I'll catch up and read all the books in this thread if we read this next. Deal?

It starts well and only gets better:
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • IT WAS LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. THE FIRST TIME YOSSARIAN SAW THE CHAPLAIN HE FELL MADLY IN LOVE WITH HIM. YOSSARIAN WAS IN THE HOSPITAL WITH A PAIN IN HIS LIVER THAT FELL JUST SHORT OF BEING JAUNDICE. THE DOCTORS WERE PUZZLED BY THE FACT THAT IT WASN’T QUITE JAUNDICE. IF IT BE- CAME JAUNDICE THEY COULD TREAT IT. IF IT DIDN’T BECOME JAUNDICE AND WENT AWAY THEY COULD DISCHARGE HIM. BUT THIS JUST BEING SHORT OF JAUNDICE ALL THE TIME CONFUSED THEM. EACH MORNING THEY CAME AROUND, THREE BRISK AND SERIOUS MEN WITH EFFICIENT MOUTHS AND INEFFICIENT EYES, ACCOMPANIED BY BRISK AND SERIOUS NURSE DUCKETT, ONE OF THE WARD NURSES WHO DIDN’T LIKE YOSSARIAN. THEY READ THE CHART AT THE FOOT OF THE BED AND ASKED IMPATIENTLY ABOUT THE PAIN. THEY SEEMED IRRITATED WHEN HE TOLD THEM IT WAS EXACTLY THE SAME. “STILL NO MOVEMENT?” THE FULL COLONEL DEMANDED. THE DOCTORS EXCHANGED A LOOK WHEN HE SHOOK HIS HEAD. “GIVE HIM ANOTHER PILL.”
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But I've already read it and don't fancy reading it again
  • Same, but I can pretend I’ve just read it if it helps.

I’ve just finished American War. Was a solid and thought provoking book. Enjoyed it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Finished Leave the World Behind the other day. Didn't like that very much.

Have now read everything suggested in this thread, and really enjoyed it. Currently going through Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell, and that not only has hundreds and hundreds of pages, it also has quite dense packed pages, so it's not going as fast as Leave the World Behind. Gonna take me at least a month to get through this I think.
  • I can't read Catch-22 of it's all in caps.
    Gamertag: gremill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!