Streets of Rage 4 - The Grandest Upper - Out now!
  • Just got to 21 on Random with Blaze-4.

Took the new Defensive, but kept the original Blitz.

Hadn't unlocked anything else for her before that run, but will definitely add her new Offensive.

Got lucky with some early defence bonuses, and a grenade tossing girl as an ally. She helped draw aggro away, and the grenades helped clear crowds.
  • Yeah the allies can he useful purely as distraction but if you get one with a decent attack they are excellent.
  • If you get a Donovan, never upgrade him. Then try to get a Golden Pipe for him. If he dies/finishes a level with one, he will forever spawn with one, which means you can have gold pipes on every stage.

Will almost certainly be patched out, so take advantage while you can.
  • Ooh.
    Great tip.
  • Are some boosts linked to certain characters? I havent got buddy with Shiva yet and also not got an extra jump with Blaze. Feels like those two boosts occupy the same slot.

I had Nora as a Buddy   - really good at keeping the second boss opponent away on those stages as her attack creates a lengthy stun.

I havent taken Roo onto survival yet, but curious how his special works (it gives him Bruce, his clown handler, as a buddy) I've read you can do this 3 times so if you can pair it with a buddy you could have an army of allies.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Whats the best approach with Max - I'd love to get good with him as a change from Shiva? Went up to level 17 I think with Blaze - I cannot figure out her best way to play although I started getting really throw happy the last few rounds. I play both Axel and Adam in the same style as Shiva so I just feel both are that bit more limited. Cherry is almost too mobile for some rounds and I'm not really good with Floyd anyway.

I'm far from an expert, I just use him because I enjoy watching a guy in YouTube use him. I just rely on my slide same as the flying kick for Shiva, plus his BnB combo. His suplex seems to do loads of dmg too but I've no idea how it compares to other characters.

I never really use the ∆/Y moves much at all, but all the best players rinse that and get the hp back innit. I'm just not good enough at comboing to make that viable.

I just like Max as a character too, big hench geezer.
  • I've had triple jump with Blaze, and then traded them all away for Grounded. The bonuses it offers are just too good to pass up.
  • I take grounded quite often, especially if my character has a decent blitz.
    Estel's diving punch is mental though so I will leave it when I'm playing as her.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surprised more people aren’t using Floyd, unless he’s been nerfed. I remember racking up high score after high score during my play-through with him.
  • I really liked Floyd in the Story mode but not so much in Survival.

Best Floyd is the elevator section of the Story mode.
  • Floyd is great when you can spam specials and not have to worry too much about health. Works best in the bigger open areas of Story/Arcade.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I was mostly just wandering into crowds and doing his double grab/overhead smash move. It just wrecked enemies.
  • nick_md wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Whats the best approach with Max - I'd love to get good with him as a change from Shiva? Went up to level 17 I think with Blaze - I cannot figure out her best way to play although I started getting really throw happy the last few rounds. I play both Axel and Adam in the same style as Shiva so I just feel both are that bit more limited. Cherry is almost too mobile for some rounds and I'm not really good with Floyd anyway.

I'm far from an expert, I just use him because I enjoy watching a guy in YouTube use him. I just rely on my slide same as the flying kick for Shiva, plus his BnB combo. His suplex seems to do loads of dmg too but I've no idea how it compares to other characters.

I never really use the ∆/Y moves much at all, but all the best players rinse that and get the hp back innit. I'm just not good enough at comboing to make that viable.

I just like Max as a character too, big hench geezer.

Oh yeah you can jump while throwing as Max too, which can be handy.
  • Max-2 is probably the best character to use if you want a weapons build, as he has possibly the best range, and hits behind him with pipes/bats/halberds and their like.
  • Max-4 hits behind too, v.handy.

Just got 25 with Shiva on the weekly.
  • What's the highest combo from you lot? I've got over the 220 mark with shiva? (Only counts if you see it through to score - no good if broken by enviable sneaky Donovan)
    SFV - reddave360
  • I cant remember the number but I got something absolutely insane with Shiva.
    Used his star move with the clones and had the elemental star power up with a ton of elements. It was a massacre. I had no idea what was going on, couldn't see a thing.
    I was just blitzing and hoping.

Might have been 500 or 1000 hits. Dont quote me on that. If there is a way of checking I'll have a look later/tomorrow.

There was little skill involved.
  • Oh that's awesome. I tend to get too careless and end up losing the combo to some stupid hit from one of the weaker guys.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I think of combos I have actually had some agency in 200 sounds about right.
  • Shiva has a special that's either bugged or intentionally OP, Spirit Palm I think it's called.

It does damage, heals you as part of the move, and is completely invincible, so when it's stacked with all the damage buffs, and the restores 8% of damage as health, later levels of Survival, just become spam it over, and over, and hope you don't get one shot by a random attack between your spamming.

The game actually ends up not being able to calculate the bonus score properly, and gives next to no points.

Most top players seem to think that outside of using Shiva, level 50 is about the max you can reasonably expect with any other character.
  • Saw a vid of some dude hitting lvl113 I think earlier, vid is like 5hrs long or something. I just skipped to the last few levels and yeah, spirit palm a plenty.
  • Level 32 on the weekly with Max-4
  • Level 31 on the new weekly just then with Max-4 (first go at it), definitely feels easier than last week's one. I panic-used my super a few times when I didn't really need to, had a stock of about 8 at one point. Maybe I can hit lvl 40 this time.

Re. highest combo, I've never looked out for it before but I got a 218 in that run above that I banked, feels like I'd have had higher before but probably not much, I'm terrible for getting jabbed by some cunt. I didn't use my ∆ move once in the 31 run above. I should start using that probably.
  • I had a look and it doesn't tell you your best combo.
    I remember it being "Out of this world" though and a Google image search suggests thats over 1000.

Like I said before there was little to no skill involved there. The right power ups and star move used at the right time with a screen full of enemies.
  • Would be nice if they added a stat to this -even something as simple as most damaging combo or highest number of combos. Fells an easy thing to do. 

On the issue of the Defensive specials - does anyone use them that much (this would be the Y / Triangle attack without direction) I find its the one thing that the game differs in a negative way to Sor2 - the defensive special should be a move that can be spammed to get you of trouble but there is the health cost. i find its never reliable enough to use to be honest. I do use the Offensive specials great to build into combos so use them quite a bit. Might just be me.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I never any of the ∆/Y moves tbh, I know it's a major weakness in my game tho. Need to start using them for sure, all the good players seem to use them a lot. I used to use Shiva's as an ender after his BnB>jump cancel>aircombo>∆ but it feels too risky for me atm as I'm not good at guaranteeing the hp back.
  • I dont use Y moves either tbh.
    Similar issues, I'm not confident in the scenario they would be useful that I could get the health back and when I am confident I could beat the enemies with other moves anyway.
  • Lvl 31 on my first go of the new weekly. Used Floyd with his new Blitz. Got a Biker Lady as a buddy, which helped a lot.

Triple Zamzas got me in the end.
  • 31. Well done both.
  • Just fucking died on level 37 of the weekly with 10 stars left. Cunts. Was never in danger at all then suddenly a mob of fat belly flop diver dudes combining with getting twatted out the arena and I'm dead. Bollocks. (Max-4)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!