The Racing Thread of Burnin' Rubber and Being Awesome!
  • After a few online races on Forza 4 tonight, I'm unlikely to go back. Dirty racers appear to be the order of the day, barging their way through corners and even weaving around the track to prevent me getting past - to the point of pushing me into the wall so they can stay ahead.

Fuck that.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Forza 5 Wednesday waltzes anyone?

Still up for this tonight, about 9ish, if anyone is going to be on.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Forza 5 Wednesday waltzes anyone?
    Still up for this tonight, about 9ish, if anyone is going to be on.

I should be around between 9 and 10ish.
  • I've owned Grid 2 on 360 since its launch at the end of May, played it for silly amounts of time and it's one of the very rare games that I'll play online with randoms. I've even bought almost all the DLC packs, which is another rarity.

After grabbing the PS3 version on PS+ today (mainly to play with friends online) I was surprised to find how blurry it looks in comparison to the sharp 360 version. It also has framerate stutters that just aren't present on 360.
    Can't tell if some of the problems are down to the slow HDD or if it's genuinely a much poorer version of the game.

It's not unplayable of game-breaking, nothing like that, but just a big surprise that it's so different.
  • Skondo wrote:
    Good stuff I_R. Where's bob? He likes a bit of PGR doesn't he?

Sold my 360 a while ago.
    The Forum Herald™
  • http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-06-codemasters-teases-multiple-racing-games-due-this-year

Other than DIRT and the obligatory F1, I can't see what else they'll possibly release. It's too soon for another Grid, unless they're planning to fill the PGR/Blur/Burnout void with a new IP. Half of me wishes they'd work on a new Flashpoint for the One/PS4, the potential of the previous two last gen titles would be more fully realised for sure.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Definitely. I'd play either Flashpoint again tbh with a full team.
  • Still got mine, they are keepers.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • They announced their only making racers. Another f1 karting game?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Their narrow variety of genre I know, but another F1 kart game? Did it sell any?
  • Not really. My PS+ copy has barely been played. It isn't bad, just not entirely amazing or anything either.

Sounds like there may be two Dirt games - possibly one like the traditional games and one like Showdown? - but yeah, it's too soon for Grid 3 and we all know F1 2014 is a given.
  • Assetto Corsa on the PC (Steam) seems pretty good so far. It doesn't have the hyper-reality sensation of rFactor2 but has more realistic grip levels.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bump.

Had a good go on Forza recently. It's great, but it had me thinking...

I mean, these games communicate speed and weight pretty well, but why do I always have trouble with judging braking distances on certain cars?

You know that feeling. It's the one that you get when you approach a corner at 150mph+, start braking, but the car understeers like a cnut...

Do you think it's just the controls? Triggers in particular?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I've found with GT6 that it's a case of being much gentler with the triggers than I'm used to. brush off some speed and then gently apply them to a halt.. if you just stamp on them they lock and the car spins.. by the time I get to race cars I need a hapeth of ABS to keep things oging.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm not sure these games do communicate speed very well. 150mph is bordering on terrifying in real life.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Ferrari 355 was the first time I remember being asked to use the analogness of the triggers. Only a few games since.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    I'm not sure these games do communicate speed very well. 150mph is bordering on terrifying in real life.

This is exactly what I'm on about.

But where does that peril come from, and can you ever communicate it in a game? I was thinking about whether Oculus Rift race games would be able to recreate that feeling.

When you drive at those kinds of speeds (well, unless you're a pro... Or perhaps even especially if you're a pro driver), your awareness of the controls are insane... You can feel everything on the road beneath you. And you can make guesses and inferences that are very difficult to make in a game, or from observation...

To be fair, rumble pads do a lot to give a good impression of that feeling, and force feeback steering wheels are better still, but there's something very particular about being behind the wheel of a car, and I was wondering exactly what might it take to improve the videogame driving experience...

Because even with all the tech out there, there's still clearly something missing...

I suppose I'd need to try out a Rift first, really...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    I've found with GT6 that it's a case of being much gentler with the triggers than I'm used to. brush off some speed and then gently apply them to a halt.. if you just stamp on them they lock and the car spins.. by the time I get to race cars I need a hapeth of ABS to keep things oging.

I much prefer analogue sticks for acceleration and braking... It's harder to mash an analogue stick as you would do triggers. So in someway, I feel it offers finer level of control.

But I've never been a race game expert (as I see some of you dudes).
    I do like the genre a lot though.

• I remember thinking I was great at racing games and then tried 355 of the Dreamcast. It was another level of driving all together and was my first using a wheel. Then when Forza 2 came out, turned off all the aids and couldn't work out why turn in was so weird and only worked out (while playing Forza 3!) it was because the ABS was off.

Playing Forza 5 now has reinvigorated my love for racing games especially with the Rivals challenges that have pushed me to using manual gears and clutch. The clever integration of rumble into the triggers does really help immersion but I don't think you will ever get that real life rush of crashing into a barrier at 150mph (Shift 2 helmet cam was pretty good though!)
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I like using manual gears which I like to do with the
    Bob wrote:
    I've found with GT6 that it's a case of being much gentler with the triggers than I'm used to. brush off some speed and then gently apply them to a halt.. if you just stamp on them they lock and the car spins.. by the time I get to race cars I need a hapeth of ABS to keep things oging.

I much prefer analogue sticks for acceleration and braking... It's harder to mash an analogue stick as you would do triggers. So in someway, I feel it offers finer level of control.

But I've never been a race game expert (as I see some of you dudes).
    I do like the genre a lot though.

I've tried to get used to that but it doesn't work for me.. triggers are upside down pedals anyway.. also use the face buttons for gear changes and obviously engine braking takes some of the pressure off getting the braking absolutely right.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Because even with all the tech out there, there's still clearly something missing...

I suppose I'd need to try out a Rift first, really...

If a roadside object moves about 10 degrees in the last half second before hitting the edge of the screen, surely the 40 degrees or so it would travel before hitting the edge of a VR set would help. Surround sound too. Suppose it's always gonna lack until we can trick our inner ear.
  • DYING to have a go of a good wheel with gears now that I can actually drive real cars for real. Can't justify £300 tho.
  • Wow. Grid 2's online community has died already, on 360 anyway. Unfortunately what's left is the absolute worst, the ones that use your car as their brakes or just love to cause crashes, especially on the first corner. It shows that their reputation system doesn't work too, as these players are still regarded as "clean" by the game, despite how aggressive and crash-happy they are!

I hadn't played the game in 4+ months, I'll probably just stick to the odd SP race like I did with the original.
  • http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-08-the-crew-levels-up-the-carpg

Eurogamer preview of The Crew. Doesn't look too fantastic, but the concept is still quite interesting.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    That's a shame, still interested.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • A next gen Test Drive but better? I'm all over that.
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm definitely interested. Whens it out again?
  • Codies' Grid team are teasing something for this Tuesday:
  • Re the Crew. This whole network bubble thing is going to be all over the place this gen. Watchdogs, Division, Destiny, even Mirror's Edge. I just hope these games don't turn to mush when they switch the servers off or this could be a generation with no AAA classics.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!