The Racing Thread of Burnin' Rubber and Being Awesome!
  • Sadly it was a mighty let down compared to PGR2 and the beginning of the end for Live.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I never played my 360 online so what went on?

It was smaller than PGR2 but it got you into the fun cars faster and the way it handled retrying an event is one of my all time fav menu structures. Your top 5 scores go towards your total score.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • PGR 2 had the better single player career structure the better cities and circuits and the better online code. They tried to over complicate it with 3. Having said that I was in Day one with 2 and there was a great community of people who couldn't believe online racing was such fun and treated it with respect.

By the time I got a 360 I think people had moved on from 3 in general.. The glory days where over.
    The Forum Herald™
  • PGR3 was fine on-line early on, most 360 games were before the machine really took off. Mass market broadband adoption was what did for on-line racers, there doesn't seem to be a solution for people being arseholes apart from sticking to private lobbies. Maybe Blur is the best you can get, although making smashing into each other part of the race changes things too much to compare it to PGR.

Bizarre Creations are a terrible loss, it's getting annoying the number of devs claiming a bit of their heritage when it's obvious that nothing will come close to their racers again.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I couldn't be less interested in all these project drive race club bollocks games on the horizon. They all look the same.
  • To be fair Drive Club's last video with the weather effects looked pretty sweet.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Erm, Project CARS and DriveClub look the same to you, Frantic? I'd get your eyes tested if I were you, mate.
  • Ignore him, he's just bitter 'cos of the FM4 season pass he coined out for.

I'd sure go for a new Teh Blur, hell I'd even drop to my knees for a XB1/PS4 port, let the graphics loose on those particle effects, 60 frames, etc. I have one eye on Bugbear's Next Car Game, og FlatOut was a physics riot, and this could hopefully be an online winner.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Drive club is looking amazing. Something's bound to go wrong.
  • The pressure is on for it to be special, at least it is launching into clear air though. Forza Horizon 2 is X1, and the multiplat The Crew and Project Cars are November releases.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Give me a PGR HD collection and I'd buy an xbone.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'd prefer a new game, preferably made by Fairground or Sumo as many of the old Bizarre team now make up Lucid Games iirc and their last attempt at a racer was that terrible iOS game that tried to recapture PGR's magic and failed miserably.
  • Of course, you can just play all of them on the 360.

zcrlFxZ.jpg
  • Is 2 backwardly compatible?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah, first one works as well, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Car select screen doesn't appear, you need to guess your way through that. Also, when the frame rate drops, it really drops. The good bits are still there, I don't think it's better than 4 though.
  • DriveClub owns on that weather but isn't it half the frame rate?
  • Both 30 aren't they?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Nope. Both 1080/30 by all accounts.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Looks like Forza is going for a more Sega look but the Drive Club rain is probably the best rain I've ever seen.
  • The weather on DC IS AMAZEBALLS but it's not open world is it?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Nope.
  • They'll be saving a few cycles by not having any collision detection outside the tracks.
  • Course they will. Those forza 2 fuckers will cut any corner. They'll probably hide some collectiblesvin such stupid places you'll need to buy DLC as well.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I haven't enjoyed any of the Forza games. It feels like the track's always moving underneath you to maintain positive camber. Although the majority of console games are hurt by a poor conveyance of weight transfer.

But then I'm weird, 'cause I loved PGR and disliked its sequels. I found it a near-perfect marriage of arcade and sim handling. The beauty of GP Legends is that you have to wrestle the cars constantly. As opposed to GT6, where you just have to learn the right speed and line on your approach, turn-in with full lock, and then blast the power at the appropriate marker. Perhaps catch a minor slide on the exit.

Going fast is challenging in almost every game (from a TT point of view), but the real challenge should come from keeping your car heading for the vanishing point.
  • MSR was my poison. I still have two copies of it and two Dreamcasts, just in case. I don't know if PGR moved any differently.

The way it progressed from ragging the balls off road cars to drifting boy racer cars to slow-in-fast-out track-day cars. Sublime.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I felt that PGR was closer to Gran Turismo than any of GT's sequels bar 2. It wasn't visually realistic at all, but it placed demands on its players that fair approximated racing. Lots of analogue-sensitive, mid-corner adjustments with the later cars.

I guess my own metric for quality is the ease of losing control. So long as I can tame the handling eventually. Posting fast times in GT6 is hard, but driving's a doddle.

I once said that I could play Gran Turismo 2 for a whole afternoon without spinning, but I could never do the same in Gran Turismo.
  • I love having a car right on the edge, analogue stick half way out, trigger half way in, tyres screeching.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    And then you lose it, smiling and learning. Games don't have to be punishing to be haptically satisfying, they just need to provide sensory riffs for the player's edification.

If you need a guide or others to tell you where you're going wrong, the game's feedback for the variance in your repetitions has failed to inform.
  • Are you sure your playing GT6 with all the aids off. Every car you buy defaults to having them on and have to be switched off individually
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!