Ghost of Tsushima - the PS4's swansong?
  • Uncle what is your issue with it? So far I haven't got a single fault with it, apart from maybe the investigation missions can be a little slow. That's about it. It's a splendid time all round.

Technically it’s fine. It’s not that I hit loads of bugs or anything - it all seemed quite finished and I’m often willing to overlook technical stuff if the world or mechanics appeal.

From my actual experience with it I hated -

The SoCal view of ancient Japan that still had a very traditional western redemption story bolted in. Surely it didn’t need flashbacks and fatherly redemption themes hammering home in the most ham fisted way I’ve come across in years?

The collectibles and levelling up systems. From following yellow birds to naked bath on mountain entering to chose your own haiku.

The v/o work and script. YOU. ARE. HEROIC. From just about every npc you meet.

Tbh The whole thing just felt like a knock off AC x Far Cry (though slightly more finished than either) with Sony insisting on dad issues and themes of destiny and responsibility because that worked for ND once so get that crowbarred in.

The characters movement throughout the world lacked grace and finesse though the fights were nice (though weapon feedback was also an issue for me).

The bare bones strings, mirrors and sticky tape holding the whole thing together. Which is why I think they made the hidden collectibles so obvious because as soon as you veer away from the dev teams intended direction of movement everything falls down in a sad collapse of post it note game design.

The real great open worlders allow you to move freely and naturally - or at least naturally encourage or prevent you from moving where the devs want you or don’t (both RDR2 and BotW show how this should be done). The design of this world didn’t seem to get that far along in its implementation and so you can stumble across a burning house that you can’t interact with in any meaningful way whilst you’re heading to the mission marker 1 minute away which then starts the mission of attending to the burning farmhouse that, once you arrive back there, has allowed dead bodies and live baddies to suddenly spawn back in to trigger the next EMOTIONAL cut scene. Stuff like this occurred loads of times - I’d come across a building with no means of interaction to then be told 2 minutes later by magic computer men that I needed to turn around and quickly get to the building I’d just been at because now there were children there and those children needed saving and saving HEROICALLY at that. There were just so many times that I was allowed to peak behind the curtain or have the game world or story so obviously manipulated by heavy handed designers that I just couldn’t get over it. It feels to me like a design document from back at the start of the current gen and as a dev team they didn’t have anyone in senior roles who could really pick the game world up and control it in a less obvious and heavy handed manner.

Ultimately, it made me feel like I thought the devs would presume that I was either stupid enough to not see it or so blindly manipulated by their urge for dead dad emotion that I would just forgive it. This was my real problem with it - and I just couldn’t get past that bad will.

All imho, ymmv etc etc. I’m surprised I’m the only one who feels like that and the trickle of positive stuff from people here is making me feel like I’m some kind of bad tempered monster.
  • As a counter point both the recent Spidermens add nothing new to the open world template, have themes of responsibility and dead parents and both are open worlders with a focus on combat and light exploration.

These feel cohesive in and of themselves, the scale of the world is controllable from a design point of view and the story trucks along breezily without trying to hammer home how I should be feeling about it all.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Last Guardian for sure. Utter shite.

Trico (obstinate beast) MUST DIEEE. 

Adore Ueda's other games though.
  • I love TLG btw so that probably puts some weighting somewhere.
  • I’m some kind of bad tempered monster.

That explains it. ;)
  • The characters movement throughout the world lacked grace and finesse though the fights were nice (though weapon feedback was also an issue for me).

You're playing a different game to me hombre. This game oozes grace and finesse. It's taken the AC formula and improved on it in every single way. I don't know how anyone could argue this point. Valhalla is a jank ridden mess compared to this game. This game does what it sets out to do perfectly.

I'm dying for more people to play this so it gets the recognition it deserves. (On PS5)

• I also think the voice work is fucking excellent and the lip sync is some of the best work I've seen in videogames. And yes, I am playing with english dub. It works perfectly for this game and I can't be doing with people saying it's not how it's meant to be played. They dubbed the lips for english. Deal with it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Japanese audio ftw!

Horse animation is top lols, particularly when all galloping in time with each other, or it jumps / falls. Jumping into weird is also giggles. But yes, general look is grand.
  • Astrobot first then this when I get hold of a PS5. Not a clue if I'll like it as I find many open worlds a chore but I'm definitely up for trying to get through the story.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    And done! Main story anyway, there's a LOT of postgame sweepup I could do (and ofc NG+), but unclear how long my mojo will list with it. Quite glad that things didn't get dragged out too much longer tbh but still quite fancy getting the other shrines/stories/trophies sorted so hmm...

Overall, feels like a solid [8] to me. May write more in due course.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Edge [6] feels harsh, certainly. But that looks like an outlier review score.
  • Edge being generous again.
  • Reads like a [7].
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's mad how people can't see quality when it smacks them in the face these days. As a fun as hell videogame about being a bad ass samurai, this game is unmatched. Edge were maybe wrong on this one, but I do wonder how this game would play at 30fps on PS4 as opposed to the gloriousness of how it plays on PS5. Could make all you difference...
  • I've just played other open world games in the last few years that are either more interesting to explore or more fun as sand boxes. At the beginning of the generation, it might have impressed me.
  • Jon, what did you think of the action though? Your views align closely with mine a lot of the times, interested in your take on this.  

Did you review this? Apologies if you have and already linked to it etc.
  • He did review it and there’ll be a link (I guess) somewhere in the first few pages.
  • In fact here you go elf.  I did the digging so you don’t have to.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/reviews/ghost-of-tsushima/
  • I do wonder how this game would play at 30fps on PS4 as opposed to the gloriousness of how it plays on PS5. Could make all you difference...

The game ran like a dream on PS4, silky smooth and absolutely no slowdown. What you're currently playing Chalice is a PS4 game made available for PS5 thanks to backwards compatibility. There are no extra bells and whistles on PS5 apart from the superior frame rate.

I do have to wonder however how big a difference 60fps actually makes to a game whose combat system revolves around slowing things down to change combat stances.  I'd wager very little.

The issue with this game was never it's performance. It was originally touted as the PS4's swansong ( they certainly did miraculous things with the loading speed.) The problem was the sheer blandness of its open world and the complete absence of a risk reward mechanic in its combat.

The people who are giving this game a free pass are doing so because they're probably Japanophiles. And that's cool. Because Japanese things are cool. But let that not blind us to the fact that the world that Sucker Punch created was pretty souless. No amount of petting foxes can can paper over that.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yeah totally disagree with that Blocks mate. Blandness of it's open world? Have you played the game? You must be having a laugh FFS.

I'm not a massive fan of Japanese mythology and the culture myself, but the missus loves anything about it. I like this though, so I suppose I must be a Japanophile then? Nonsense.This is just a very, very good videogame despite the Japanese trappings.

You can get things done quickly in this game with little fuss in between the action. It respects your time. It is yet another open world game released at a time when people were mostly burnt out on them, but I've a feeling many people dismissed the game before getting properly stuck in. I've sunk hours into it and it's still popping off and throwing new stuff my way. As a moment to moment open world action game it's second only to BotW. I'm struggling to think of any other open world game that does anything better.

It's a gorgeous thing to play. More people need to play it.
  • In fact here you go elf.  I did the digging so you don’t have to. https://www.videogameschronicle.com/reviews/ghost-of-tsushima/

Thanks. I do hate digging.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I seem to still be playing this, despite having finished it. I guess that's a positive sign of something, or maybe it's just apathy at taking the disk out.

On thing's for sure - the fast travel and speedy loading on this is mind-blowing. Literally a couple of seconds to get from one side of the map to the other. Makes nipping around sweeping things up way quicker than it would otherwise have been, and I think a definite part of the train I've not ditched it yet.

Got all shrines & bamboo things done. Most haikus. Only two mythic quests, but then a chunk of liberating/other side quests/foxes to find. And some more lighthouses in fact.
  • I'm looking forward to t trying legends mode. How many hours are you in Muzz? How do I check play time on PS5??
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah dunno. Suspect I'm maybe a bit above 20h but I'm basically guessing. I did the main mission fairly straight through, then missing shrines and springs and bamboo cuts. Have now liberated all but one bit in the South Island and done all the mythic quests. So just north Island liberation to go, yet more foxes, and a big chunk of other missions.

And some light houses. And final sword upgrade. And I'm still learning more technique points desire having nearly everything fully upgraded.

So yeah it's all very easy to make progress now, but plenty more to glide through before "finished".
  • I'm looking forward to t trying legends mode. How many hours are you in Muzz? How do I check play time on PS5??

Legends is excellent.
  • Is there any point in doing more fox dens once you've unlocked all the charm slots?
  • What's the co-op mode in this, standard campaign or a separate thing?
  • Separate but you can access it from the main game no? Looking forward to checking it out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!