Ghost of Tsushima - the PS4's swansong?
  • Boss fights and stand offs in this are great. Not sure if the latter will continue to be nothing but a showpiece easy kill, but they'd still be worth triggering.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've got this lined up for after my clearing of TLOU2 which I've finally started flora's copy of - she's said she'll never clear it so I thought why not.

Tbh more interested in this, but given I'm getting limited time, feel I need to knuckle down with stuff, and TLOU2 is doing a lot I like.

However, I really want to be a samurai.
  • I thought you were boycotting ND stuff? Not wanting that to sound accusatory or owt but has something changed?
  • I thought you were boycotting ND stuff? Not wanting that to sound accusatory or owt but has something changed?
    I didn’t want to pick at that but yeah reg what happens to the principals when you really want to play it but the wife can’t finish it??
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    I thought you were boycotting ND stuff? Not wanting that to sound accusatory or owt but has something changed?
    I didn’t want to pick at that but yeah reg what happens to the principals when you really want to play it but the wife can’t finish it??

I didn't buy it, Flora did. I'm not her moral compass. I decided to play it because it was sitting there and I wanted to see what was so good.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    I thought you were boycotting ND stuff? Not wanting that to sound accusatory or owt but has something changed?
    I didn't buy it, Flora did. I'm not her moral compass. I decided to play it because it was sitting there and I wanted to see what was so good.

I’m not sure if bobs quote made my original question seem less well intentioned than it was meant.  I knew Flora had purchased it back at launch but I thought you’d taken a stand against ND, RS (and others I guess) and I was just tying to see if something specific had changed your mind?  Apologies if I’ve offended.
  • I've hit a tricky encounter in this and I'm now wondering if it's one of those open worlders that really doesn't like the player rushing through the main missions.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Bob wrote:

I mean cool to play thr game but on a technicality is a bit ... to me.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've hit a tricky encounter in this and I'm now wondering if it's one of those open worlders that really doesn't like the player rushing through the main missions.

I am victorious and thanks to a slight difficulty bump am now a better samurai. Go me.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    He's a samurai. A pretty good samurai. Until he suffers a crisis of difficulty and can't be a samurai any more.
  • The whole 'shall I remain an honourable Samurai?' vs 'or become a master of the dark arts of the Ninja!' was another big missed opportunity in this game.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    The whole 'shall I remain an honourable Samurai?' vs 'or become a master of the dark arts of the Ninja!' was another big missed opportunity in this game.

Really?
    I mean the choice is always yours if you want to be honourable or not.
    (Except if you have to sneak to save someone but how else are you gonna force some morality on folks).
    On second thoughts maybe the choice ain't always yours, but there is plenty of chance to be honourable.

I for one look forward to reading whatever reg writes about lou2 as even if I don't always agree at least I find what he has to say interesting, so I'm glad he's playing it!

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Bob wrote:

I’m not sure if bobs quote made my original question seem less well intentioned than it was meant.  I knew Flora had purchased it back at launch but I thought you’d taken a stand against ND, RS (and others I guess) and I was just tying to see if something specific had changed your mind?  Apologies if I’ve offended.

No offence at all - a reasonable question as I was quite vocal. It just was a sense of "well this is on the shelf" so off I went.

And Bob, i agree that it is more than a bit ... but its me who has to reconcile that in my head.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Honour systems haven't progressed beyond Molly's reach.

> DO YOU HELP FIND FLOWERS FOR THE GIRL, OR KILL THE FARMER?

KILL FARMER_

> HAVE AN EYEPATCH
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Started this earlier in the week and I’m very impressed so far. Really like the wind feature that guides to missions too. 

It’s astonishing how much the devs were able to squeeze from the PS4.
  • Major cutscenes are often out of step with whatever path you've carved in between in these games, so all the moral compass stuff strikes me as a bit pointless - whenever you watch rather than play you're always somewhere on the softer side of the middle, barring an out of character incident or two. I don't see the appeal of pretending to be Nick or Dot Cotton while you wait for your Mark Fowler cinematic.

• I just look at it as a great big awesome Samurai sandbox. Who cares about anything else?
  • I did and do. I couldn’t power past the other stuff to enjoy the Samurai sandbox. Seems like it’s my loss though, for all the love it’s getting on here.
  • Maybe I want to be faced with gameplay choices that have actual repercussions? Maybe if I stalk down the easier, quicker dark path of the Ninja, I clear out enemy encampments faster, but this comes at a cost? NPC's run away in horror as they see me, once friendly villages close their doors and shun me? I become the Ghost that the game actually alludes to. But if I stick to the honourable path of the Samurai, I receive other discernable boons. (e.g friendlier merchants with cheaper prices)

Yes, you could happily ignore all this stuff and revel in the (empty) 'Samurai sandbox' if it wasn't for the fact that in EVERY BLOODY CUTSCENE your reminded by your Uncle of the importance of not straying from the path of the Samurai! Better not tell him I slaughtered that base of Mongol dogs in their sleep about 15 minutes ago then.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Have you tried fable
    The Forum Herald™
  • You've convinced me it's shit.
  • You've convinced me it's shit.
    Classic case of Molyneux over promising but it’s quite a good game
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Plant that acorn
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Maybe I want to be faced with gameplay choices that have actual repercussions?

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Recently spent several minutes too many watching variations on that theme.
  • Swede Mason beckons.

Is this quite difficult, or am I just a bit shit at the fighting? Up until unlocking the dodge/quick slice move I was dying at least once in most skirmishes. Any tips for newbies? Taking out the archers first seems to be a good idea.
  • Just manoeuvring enemies into positions where you can fight one at a time and switching stances to fit the type.
  • I've only got two stances at this stage, I've been using the water one for shield bearers though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!