PC Monitors & TVs thread
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    looking for a tv to act as a big monitor for my PC set up........have nearly decided on a hisense u7qf......but have read quite a bit about motion judder - anyone got one? looks to me like a nice budget option for playing games on.....
    rest less
  • Got a response from LG re burn in on my Oled.
    They have said around £200 to repair which is alot less than i was expecting.
    Still they have pissed me off with saying burn in is not a known fault with oled tvs but due to careless use or something.
    So pay 200 quid or live with a netflix logo in the bottom corner of the screen
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I mean technically they are right in that it’s not a fault. It’s a limitation of the technology. Same way as light bleed is a limitation of backlit LED. But still doesn’t make you feel any better obviously.

I’ll be interested to see what my TV is like in a few years as I really try to avoid any kind of logo on my TV. The longest I have is the Fox Sports logo on while watching a couple hours of NFL, but even that changes during breaks etc.
  • Boolitt wrote:
    Got a response from LG re burn in on my Oled.
    They have said around £200 to repair which is alot less than i was expecting.
    Still they have pissed me off with saying burn in is not a known fault with oled tvs but due to careless use or something.
    So pay 200 quid or live with a netflix logo in the bottom corner of the screen

How long was your tv on netflix, for the burn-in to occur? I thought the latest LG OLEDs had some burn-in protection features such as subtly moving the logo for an channel.
  • I’ll say this once more for those at the back but we’ve had a number of oleds now with the oldest being in the house for around 4 years and, as of yet, none of them have suffered any form of burn in on any part of the screen. Netflix don’t even have their logo up whilst you’re watching do they?
  • I’ll say this once more for those at the back but we’ve had a number of oleds now with the oldest being in the house for around 4 years and, as of yet, none of them have suffered any form of burn in on any part of the screen. Netflix don’t even have their logo up whilst you’re watching do they?

Pause something on Netflix and you get a very bright white logo
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The thought of burn in put me off an OLED. I know the risk is low and all the rest of it, but low or not, it’s still a risk and not something that I want to have to worry about, especially when playing games where fixed HUD elements are quite common.

Roll on micro-LED.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    My LG CX brings up a screensaver if you pause the built-in Netflix app for more than a few seconds. I think it's fair enough if people don't want risk it - it sounds like the alternatives are good and it's not like OLED is this magical perfect tech - I notice the automatic brightness limiter coming on in very bright scenes, for example, because the way it works is fairly crude. At the same time... those inky blacks... <3
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m sure they’re great.

Come to think of it, my other concern was brightness. I’m fortunate to have a flat with a lot of windows, watching TV when it’s light outside is tricky even with my current LED. If I had an OLED, I suspect I just wouldn’t be able to use it at all during the daytime.
  • I dunno i think all the 'cons' of OLED come from people spending their whole time thinking about TVs. (Not saying that's a bad thing, each to their own.) I have a bright room, never had an issue.
  • This is why i am pissed, the netflix logo appears when you are browsing the menu, if this is left on for 60 seconds the screensaver kicks in so how has it burnt in?
    There is also a wee mark where the yellow youtube search shortcut sits.
  • weq212C.jpg
    It does only show up when certain colours are on screen but its enough to catch your eye
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I don't think OLEDs are particularly bad for reflections, just not the absolute best. Yoss would probably be better of with a Samsung QLED given his preferences.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    I dunno i think all the 'cons' of OLED come from people spending their whole time thinking about TVs. (Not saying that's a bad thing, each to their own.) I have a bright room, never had an issue.

I do think about TV’s a lot lot but having said that have no problem watching my CX in a bright room. Different settings for different situations.

I guess a question Boolitt is did you ever calibrate it out of the box? I reduced a lot of my brightness for most content. And also have the logo brightness reduction on highest setting.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The average brightness on my Samsung LED is about double that of the LG CX, and as I say, there are already times when I struggle to see it.
  • Boolitt wrote:
    This is why i am pissed, the netflix logo appears when you are browsing the menu, if this is left on for 60 seconds the screensaver kicks in so how has it burnt in?

Thats really odd. I would have thought you accidentally left it paused for a few hours. Theres a really good video someone posted many pages ago about LG OLED burn in protection features. They had multiple LG OLED screens running for over 24 hrs with no burn-in due to stationary logos. So i am suprised by your issue Boolitt.
  • Must say, the oled screen is awesome in any bright/dark room and i would probably be prepared to pay 200 to fix it, every 3 years....maybe.
    Only time it struggled is bright summer sun fighting Sea of Thieves (night-time)
    But thats what curtains are for innit
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Boolitt wrote:
    This is why i am pissed, the netflix logo appears when you are browsing the menu, if this is left on for 60 seconds the screensaver kicks in so how has it burnt in?

Thats really odd. I would have thought you accidentally left it paused for a few hours. Theres a really good video someone posted many pages ago about LG OLED burn in protection features. They had multiple LG OLED screens running for over 24 hrs with no burn-in due to stationary logos. So i am suprised by your issue Boolitt.

Yep, this is my argument with LG, gonna keep at them to see if they will fix for nowt, we shall see
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The average brightness on my Samsung LED is about double that of the LG CX, and as I say, there are already times when I struggle to see it.

You must have been fucked in the old days then as non HDR peak brightness on old TV’s is probably a tenth of modern screens.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I bought this TV when I moved into my flat. Never used any other TV here.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just being facetious mate ;-)
  • I’m really not trying to be facetious when I ask this but how does having a tv that goes brighter enable you to see more in a bright room/summer time? Doesn’t the image just end up getting washed out into a big smush of light grey if you keep turning up the brightness?

I’m honestly asking the above srsly as I thought the only solution for summertime gaming was either not to bother and go be outside in the sunshine or pull the curtains/blinds/shutters? If the solution is simply to up the brightness on my tv then maybe I’ll need those vitamin D supps after all.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I still have to close my curtains, and certain parts of the screen are still washed out (my curtains aren’t very thick, and at the right time of day, the sun shines directly onto my screen), but I can usually make out enough of an image to continue. Unless it’s a really dark scene, in which case, I’m still fucked.

Edit: oh, and I don’t turn up the brightness. I keep it at standard with the results above.
  • Yoss, blackout curtains. Job done. Keeps light out in the summer and keeps heat in the room in winter.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No need, I got a brighter TV, and that means that I don’t have to sit there in the dark.
  • Yeah, we all have the ability to shut the curtains in summer but I’m really loath to shut out the sunshine to play a game.
  • Last night played a bit of COD on my BX oled. Went to settings on the series x and the background is a kind of grey colour right? Well
    On the top of the screen were grey wavy streaks. They were visable on the dynamic background too.
    Had a mild panic. Turned it off and went the loo. Bout 10 mins pater and several youtube videos of the same issue it had fixed itself. Wtf?
    PSN - minkymu
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There's a difference between temporary image retention and burn in. Your TV does a mini-refresh cycle sometimes when it's put on standby after being used for a while - you might be able to hear the capacitors ping a few minutes after turning the TV off when that cycle ends. It was probably just temporary image retention that the refresh cycle sorted for you.
  • Had a Samsung Serif delivered today and it’s a lovely thing. Great looking object, with some really nice little touches (like a set of grooves/channels in the back to tidy cables into before running them down one of the TV’s legs). Really glad I went for this, it’s perfect for the room it’s in.
  • Nice.
    I really like them. If I had the money I would get one for the bedroom fo sho.
    I'll have to stick with putting them in the back of visuals.
    Interior02-A-Interactive-Light-Mix.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!