Whore-ding
  • Little epilogue. MR has just become world champion again just a mere 10 days since losing the title.

Not sure if that makes me think Dan did the smart thing or not in ten years time people won’t remember as much how he did it as much as he was actually world champion for a bit and therefore is one of very few to achieve that on the planet.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • This just proves he was right to do what he did imo. 

Do I really want to be the champ? Yes. 

Can I be the champ if I break the records one at a time? No. 

Really leaves you with little recourse imo if you want the top spot. 

The fact that MR beat these times so fast but no one will complain that he is sandbagging his times if he can break back records so easily and then just sit on the current record until someone beats it just goes to show the hypocrisy of those who were clamoring that Dan was holding back the true potential of the "scene" by artificially holding onto his times. MR is clearly not running these courses as fast as it's possible for him to do to give the true target time for the rest of the competitors to chase by their logic.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • How do you know he's not running the courses as fast as he thinks he can, and it's only when he's beaten that he pushes to break what may have been seen as an impossible barrier?

If you watch any speedrun history vids there's usually parts where the community goes, 'it's done, unbeatable' only for someone to beat it eventually and do what was deemed impossible, spurring everyone else on again.

Dan did the smart thing, sure, but it was still a dick move imho etc.
  • He's running courses as fast as he can, but he's taking back records in days. 

At what point does he look at what he's doing and think, hmm, I broke these records back in just over a week. I wonder what would happen if I tried to beat my own records?

I'm not fussed that MR is now the champ again, I'm saying that people who were crying about the storylines or the chase for the good of the scene are being little baby hypocrites because it's clear that MR is not pushing his own records. MR isn't required to do that at all, but all the little babies acting like speedrunning should be the WWE are fucking dumb because MR not breaking his own records to push the potential of the scene to it's true limit when he is capable of doing so is pretty similar to Dan not disclosing how fast he could really run the courses until he had enough records to take the top spot and dumped them en masse.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yeah, if he's capable of taking these times back so quickly, to the point someone felt they needed to post all scores at once but thinks he's set an impossible barrier he's a fucking idiot.

He's obviously content holding but not pushing the record, which is fine, but what Dan did is a fairly obvious consequence of that.
  • Meh, it's more motivation with a ghost to race against. I guess we just disagree on bits of this.
  • Just to be clear, I think the only thing we disagree about is whether or not the initial action by Dan was a dick move. 

I'm really focussed at this point on the people in the community who were kicking up a fuss over what Dan did in terms of it being bad for the progression of the game and the "denial" of storylines of jolly competition and back and forth, or whatever the fuck they wanted to happen instead.

What MR has done is essentially the same thing Dan is being accused of, except MR didn't dump his runs in one go. He's made a run, got the record and then moved onto something else, which is totally fine to do. He's returned now the records are broken and taken the times back in relatively short order. Showing that his previous times weren't the best he could do, weren't representative of where the game is really at and essentially Dan was targeting a time that was not actually the "real record" because it seems that MR has it within him to better these times but chooses not to because frankly, he's got better things to do than break his own records.

All the people complaining about the scene progression, people not chasing after the actual records, and lambasting Dan for what he did are now very quiet, even though it's clear that MR because of his insane ability is basically sandbagging the scene and really is making everyone else's exciting storyline chases of records a waste of time, because he comes back the next week and undoes however long that person spent trying to break the record.
  • So when is it ok to stop playing? When after achieving a WR is it okay to think that's the top? How do you know it is the top?

MR may well believe his current time isn't the best he can do, but maybe he does, I don't think anyone here can say. Maybe he has a post saying, 'xx.xx feels possible', I dunno.
  • Tbh I'm just arguing my side pointlessly, I can understand the other opinion I just don't agree, I think it was a dick move and isn't the same as MR. But, it's nothing to fall out about eh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Motivation is everything. You need an opponent. Racing against your own ghosts is great fun but you need to be knocked off your perch to really get motivated.

Imagine if Carl Lewis, Ed Moses or Usain Bolt had had challengers? Those guys eased off many times in races - they dominated their era. I've no doubt their WR times could have been lower.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It's true. If Muzzy had been any good at Trackmania Turbo I'd be a much better player myself.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)
  • Like I said, MR is prefectly fine to play how he likes, I'm specifically talking about all the little dipshit babies in the community who were screeching about unsportsman like conduct by Dan and how what he did was terrible because people weren't chasing the actual records during the time when he was hoarding his runs, and the scene was robbed of storylines and the opportunity to reach it's potential by being able to chase the fastest times possible.

What MR did was perfectly fine, you aren't under any obligation to push yourself constantly to break your own records.

I'm talking about MR clearly being better than the times he's posted, if he pushed himself, because he's broken these records back in short order. By the logic of the people complaining that the MK64 speedrunning community is being held back by people not posting their best times when they had them, MR is doing the same thing as Dan, he obviously is capable of doing better times that he could set for the betterment of the community as a whole, but I guess he doesn't care about that and only cares about himself being number 1 so only posts his actual best times when he wants to *pouting face*.

I'm specifically pointing at the hypocrisy of these pathetic members of that community who live in babies fucking cuddle land, throwing a fit because someone posted all their records in one shot for what is now a very short lived time on the top spot. It should be noted, that this action has proven that the only way people will get the number one spot at this time while MR is so completely dominant is by hoarding their runs. Be that a dick move or not. 

Personally it's no less dickish to hoard your runs than it is to rest on your laurels and only push yourself when a rival challenges you. I don't have feelings about either. What I have feelings about are communities where members go off the deep end because they don't understand why someone would use a totally valid competitive strategy, in an already fiercely competetive scene and kick up such a fucking fuss that a dude feels he has to come back and make a grovelling apology to the community and beg for forgiveness to be let back in, when he didn't do anything wrong. 

tl;dr 10/10 I would have jettisoned myself from the community if I was part of it, after how they reacted. The same way I'm about to have to jettison myself from the FGC because those fucking morons are complaining about players being dropped for completely inappropriate conduct and statements because they think the "thuggery" was what defined the FGC back in the day.
  • FGC?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • fighting game community
  • 'he obviously is capable of doing better times that he could set'

Again, you don't know this - watch any sr history video where a champ sets a time that just beats someone and claims it the end, can't do any better.

Or just do as I did and agree we ain't gonna see eye to eye on this one.
  • I mean I think you're probably right in that MR thinks he can beat his times, but it's different to _having_ beat them and sat on a bank of them.
  • I’d like to suggest that MR getting those times back wasn’t easy for him even though he got them back relatively quickly. The game is boarder line maxed out on almost every course with the current strategies. You just have to look at the splits on the wrs to see that.

I’m honestly not sure that MR has that much left in the tank because I’m not sure the game does.

Motivation to play is an interesting one. Simply just got the 120 star from cheese and cremated cheeses time but cheese has still been running 120 even as the wr holder.

I think after about ten years of playing MR has lost a fair bit of enthusiasm for the game although I could be wrong. His motivations are just to get 32/32 wrs. But every time he got close everyone around him did what he’s been doing and retook one back.

I’m not sure the main gist of the argument was about people not chasing the real wrs. I think it was around the deceit and trust.

Got any links to the fgc stuff? Sounds fubar
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I smell a flounce, originating from this thread
    .10-15 % chance within 48 hours, up to 47.5% within 7 days.
    Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • nick_md wrote:
    'he obviously is capable of doing better times that he could set' Again, you don't know this - watch any sr history video where a champ sets a time that just beats someone and claims it the end, can't do any better. Or just do as I did and agree we ain't gonna see eye to eye on this one.

It's not just post dump though. Dan would set a record, and MR would take it back, which is why we wenbt the route he did. He has a history of being capable of retaking the record in a short space of time, which suggests that we was perfectly capable of improving the record.

Again, does he have to do that, no. But it's bonkers to suggest that he couldn't, because he has.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hmm, deceit and trust???

At the end of the day your man has actually reinvigorated the community somewhat hasn't he?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • mk64 wrote:
    Got any links to the fgc stuff? Sounds fubar

Just take a look at FChamps twitter, it all started from him getting banned from the CPT a few weeks back, Chris G got dropped by his sponsor this week after comments he made and apologised for at the time in 2017. Basically now a bunch of absolute fuckheads on forums and social media are complaining that Esports is just pandering SJWs and they can't believe that all these accusations are true and how bullshit it is that one female accusation can ruin a man's career and why are they always believed, some must be doing it for attention, and all the other unbelievably toxic mentally that you can imagine. A fucking cesspool and I smdh that I ever shared the same spaces as some of these fucking wankers.
  • Roujin wrote:
    A fucking cesspool and I smdh that I ever shared the same spaces as some of these fucking wankers.

Hey c'mon m8 we're disagreeing a bit but that's a bit harsh on us innit!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Post from @Roujin after my smiley face post makes a very good point.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!