Classical Music
  • @funkstain - yep, 2 x £70 +stupidbookingfeeargh = £146.80... I rounded up. Still, a bargain at that price.
  • Snapped up me tickets, you're right they've pretty much disappeared for the special performances.

Still got me 2 front-row seats inna box!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    While driving I nearly always listen to Radio 3 since I figure I hear enough popular music roundabouts elsewhere in my life. Last night I caught a long piece that really took my attention, and when I parked up I stayed in the car till its conclusion. Went onto iPlayer this afternoon and discovered it's actually an opera, Michael Tippet's The Midsummer Marriage. Which being a pleb of course i'd never heard of before.
    Anyway, awesome session of music.

• I heard the preamble on Radio 3 but couldn't hang around to listen to the performance. To my shame, I don't know it at all, though I'll hopefully get around to catching it on iPlayer before it disappears.
  • John Wilson and his orchestra are awesome yet again with their celebration of Hollywood. Seriously brilliant playing, masterfully conducted. You'd be hard pressed to hear this stuff done any better anywhere in the world.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just heard a bit of Goldberg Variations on Radio 3 - and that has me poking around on Amazon - think it was by Gould.....gorgeous.

It seems there are 2 recordings - a quicker 1955 performance and a more thoughtful one in 1981 with some of the repetition that Bach proscribed - and there's a 3 disc set with both recordings and some outtakes and an interview with Gould who was a bit of a nut apparently.

It seems to get universal acclaim - though one review is very scathing..
    Both performances are unlistenable. One is deafened by Gould's lupine ululations, howls, screeches, grunts and indeterminate wails. I imagine the ivories were badly scratched come the end of the recording sessions: may those undead Steinways rest in peace.

Worse still, the Ghoulster makes Bach sound as percussive as Bartok and as perky as Hindemith. If Johann Sebastian Bach would not recognise this mighty creation of his, it's aint Bach.

The shallowness of the recording in each instance only adds to the torment of the listener.

Bit harsh ? @igorgetmeabrain - any guidance? Maybe that bit I heard on Radio 3 was the accessible bit ... is the rest harder listening? 

What I heard was incredibly calming yet challenging at the same time - seemingly simple yet there was Bach's complexity and lovely mathematical feel.  I read that this is very much Gould's work , taking the original and making it something new.  

It sounded like the music was playing itself and the pianist was just hanging on as if the horse had the bit between its teeth - but there was a blanket of order and calm over it all - it was a wonderful feeling listening to it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Where do I start? Glenn Gould was one of the most unconventional, eccentric and often reclusive pianists the classical world has seen. Undoubtedly a genius, his most famous recordings are the two of the Goldberg Variations that you mention above.  The first, recorded in the early days of his career, is (often astonishingly) fast, virtuosic, flamboyant, youthful, exuberant and mind-blowingly brilliant. The other, recorded just a year before his untimely death at the age of 50, is entirely different but arguably no less important or brilliant. His tempi are this time though extremely slow and ponderous in places and it's a particularly contemplative recording. As for the singing etc... Gould had a habit of humming along with himself and other such eccentric traits but so what? It's perhaps not what Bach might have intended but his playing is simply incredible. The recording quality isn't perfect either, but as far as I'm concerned, it only adds to the authenticity of the playing, like that magical pop and crackle that you get from an old LP recording.

Anyhow, I have the edition you're talking about and it's the one to get. It makes for a fascinating comparison between someone at either end of their professional career.

The music itself is quite simply peerless. It's JS Bach, the daddy of all western music, at his sublime best. If ever you wanted an example of the beauty of mathematics, you need only listen to the Goldberg Variations. The simplest and most economical of themes (the opening aria) is spun into 32 variations, all mathematically perfect and beautiful within themselves, and all completely different.

It was written for some Count who had insomnia, to be performed to him by the virtuoso harpsichord player something something Goldberg to help him to sleep. It works on me too - there's something wonderfully soporific about the same themes going around and around in every conceivable combination.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    top notch....many thanks.
  • Flagged in the general music thread but Stravinsky's Concerto in D is the bollocks. Also I think Wendy Carlos ripped it the fuck off in a couple bits on the Tron OST.
  • I'm pretty sure a Goldberg Variations cd is one of the three albums chosen for my monthly album club at work.  This month's theme was music you liked by an artist you're unfamiliar with, that you heard on the soundtrack to a film or television series.  I can't remember the film that was mentioned in the blurb for this choice off-hand, but the name Glenn Gould does ring a bell.  I chose an album by Ryan Bingham on the back of the Crazy Heart soundtrack, and the other guy massively cheated and chose Mike Patton's The Place Beyond the Pines soundtrack, despite owning as close to everything Patton has done as is humanly possible.

I won't post my eventual review, because I'm sure it will be laughably uninformed, but I will post my thoughts when I'm more familiar with it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Goldberg variations features in Silence of the Lambs - the scene in with Lector escapes from his cell.
  • Pick up Gould's Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier as well if you're Goldberging.

Then his English and French Suites.

And his Beethoven Sonatas.
  • krs is spot-on. Bach's WTC is probably the most important and significant work of keyboard music in the entire history of western music. It's a wonderful celebration of the advent of equal temperament, which in itself is a rather fascinating mathematical-musical concept.

Stravinsky's also one of my favourite composers. You could choose important works from different phases of his life and they would all represent entirely different aesthetic/stylistic approaches and yet all are masterful in their conception and execution.

As for that John Wilson prom that I linked back there, if nothing else you should check out the 6 minutes starting from c1:29:00 where they do Tom & Jerry. It's utterly brilliant.

This page is officially full of win.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My amazon wish list is growing.
  • There are some pretty cool YouTube videos of Gould playing this stuff and much more too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - watched a lecture he gave yesterday that was interspersed with him playing with a string section and a male vocalist. Great stuff.

Listening to that proms concert you linked to....I think being at one of those should be on my bucket list - that venue is stunning and we take it for granted really. Shit - I even need to get to a Ulster Orchestra gig at the Ulster Hall or Waterfront Hall...

EDIT: that Proms/Hollywood concert was astonishing - Wilson was quoted in the interval as saying that the T&J stuff was right on the limits of playability. The percussionists were having a ball while those poor bods in the strings were nearly flat on their backs.
  • They're a good band too; A small and financially precarious orchestra but well worth supporting. I did some work with them a couple of years ago at their home in the Ulster Hall.
  • Some Bach what I done this afternoon. Written for a five-stringed instrument but, given the scarcity of such things, usually played (with great difficulty) on four.
  • Oh, you have one of those doodads below the bass side f-hole; are they a wolf note thing? I noticed Natalie Clein has one on hers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I feel bad enough having frittered away my Saturday afternoon without having my nose rubbed in it.

Splendid.

Procured Gould and the English & french Suites + French style overture earlier this week for next to nowt.
  • Wolf notes are cool.

The wolf bit is the clue (cool animal)
  • Yep. I have a big bad wolf on E flat and that's the only thing that shifts it.
  • The beta-blocker thing immediately made me think about whether it's rampant on pro videogaming tourney circuits yet.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Their use in snooker was an issue for a spell in the 80's/90's before they were outlawed. A handful of good-but-not-great players shot up the rankings quite a bit. Just goes to show how much of that game relies on handling the pressure.
  • I don't know how many people really use them in the classical music world to be honest. I'd certainly never use them, despite having suffered from quite debilitating jitters at times.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    The beta-blocker thing immediately made me think about whether it's rampant on pro videogaming tourney circuits yet.

poongko.jpg

I'm gonna test myself with my heart-rate monitor on Tekken one day. I'd be surprised if there's more than a 15% increase. I think maturity helps to minimise the importance we place on perfection, but at the same time our physical abilities decrease.

BBs could help tons of real-life fighters, though. Amir Khan's given to squandering more energy through nerves than I have altogether, but he's exceptionally fit.
  • A huge meaty chunk of Brahms, in a glorious played and rapturously received live performance.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!