Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Reasonable post Dave, but the term coloured isn’t considered acceptable any more. https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/coloured-offensive-why-term-greg-clarke-fa-chairman-what-say-comments-resigned-756234
    Fair point, noted.
    Roujin wrote:
    Dave, that example is a complete whataboutery. Are men sexually assaulted (or worse) by other men because they refuse to give them a cigarette? No they are not. A big problem with the discussions we NEED to have as men, come from this "not all men" narrative, which appears every time something like this happens. It derails the conversation and diverts attention from the problem. The problem is that because men grow up in a patriarchy, we have a level of privilege (uh oh I said the P word) that women do not enjoy and that bestows upon us both a confidence, and a lack of a need to think about our actions, because of that position.  The issue is not that you can't ask someone out for a drink. The issue is that men do not need to think about their consequences of their actions, because the consequences frequently don't happen to them, they happen to the other person. It's quite easy for example, to know if it's okay to approach someone in public, if the other person is minding their own business and is not dropping huge social cues your way like extended eye contact, then they are minding their own business. I don't expect randoms to approach me when I'm out and talk to me about anything (beggars etc notwithstanding, but that's a different societal problem for another day), so why would I expect women who are minding their own business, even if they are in a bar to want me to start talking to them about anything if they haven't made any kind of hint towards it? I think this video here, starting from the timestamp at 14:22, sums up the problem we have really well. Men, have a responsibility to stop the unacceptable behaviour of other men, just allowing the behaviour to slide because you know the guy, isn't enough, why don't more men want to solve our problem?

I think you've missed the point I was trying to make. I'm not saying "its not all men". I'm saying if women are so afraid of men that the act of asking someone in a polite manner for a drink is seen as sexual harassment we are in a far bigger mess than just calling other men out(although I completely agree that it is part of the solution) If the fear of men is so extreme that it is not the action of the man in question but just the general experience that the woman has is in relation to men that makes her afraid than the problem is far beyond even these points.  Men have effectively Woman fearful of all of us (and I'm not saying that it is not justified) Again, how on earth do you fix that? You arent looking to just fix behaviour, you need to fix perception as well.

And just to be clear, I used the example I did not because I was equating it to someone asking for a smoke. I was making the point that if someone told you they were afraid of a Black Man because of that example you would probably accuse them of prejudice and racism against that Black man (or if they said that as a white person they would be fearful going through a Black neighbourhood). The problem for the argument linked in the case of a woman being afraid of a man is, it is probably more than justified
    SFV - reddave360
  • I'll be honest, I don't understand why you needed to provide a totally different example based on someone who was fearful of black people, because people are talking about the issues affecting women, not different races. Because in that instance, you are 100% a bigot if you are scared of black people just because they are black and you are worried they are gonna beat you up if you don't give them a smoke or walk through a black neighbourhood as a white person. The characteristic of being black, has no bearing on how someone might treat you, unlike an exchange between a man and a woman. 

No one is saying asking someone out is sexual harassment, women are saying that if they are out and a dude just walks up to them and asks them out that they feel harassed by that. Which is fair, let me just go an dig out my old friend Mr. Dictionary and read up what harassment means. Oh look, harassment means unwanted behaviour which you find offensive or which makes you feel intimidated or humiliated. 

You talk about how if the fear of men is so extreme that it is not the actions of the man in question, but it is the action of the man in question, when the question is "Do women like men coming up to them out of the blue and asking them out?" and a chunk of them say that they don't like that whenever they are asked about it, but dudes are still out here trying it on anyway and even more guys are on the sidelines pontificating about how they don't understand how people are supposed to get their fuck on anymore if men can't walk up to women and start chatting them up uninvited. 

There are lots of ways we can fix the problem, and part of that starts with men understanding that the balance of power in society and in personal interactions between men and women is not equal. Just because you wouldn't mind something, doesn't mean that women feel the same way about the same behaviour, you can start by just listening to women talking about their experiences of unpleasant encounters with men. If we are lucky we will be the last generations who have to deal with the kind of misogyny we have in society today, the internet has given enough people a voice, that the problem can't be swept under the rug anymore, but we won't make it if men keep thinking around the subject because they don't want to address the problems that we have created or allowed to perpetuate through our own inaction.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I have had a three-hour briefing session from Police Scotland’s rape and sexual violence prevention team today. 

60–70% of men are considered by the Police to be at risk of offending. Yes, 60–70% of all men. 60–70% of men in this thread, probably.

Just think about that for a minute. It why, if someone right here on this forum makes a joke about pulling on a night out or whatever and it feels a bit off, the rest of us have a fucking duty to call it out, because that is exactly how you begin to change things. You make it less accepted by personally not accepting it.
  • What the actual fuck?
  • Time to sink the sins thread haha
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    I'll be honest, I don't understand why you needed to provide a totally different example based on someone who was fearful of black people, because people are talking about the issues affecting women, not different races. Because in that instance, you are 100% a bigot if you are scared of black people just because they are black and you are worried they are gonna beat you up if you don't give them a smoke or walk through a black neighbourhood as a white person. The characteristic of being black, has no bearing on how someone might treat you, unlike an exchange between a man and a woman. 

No one is saying asking someone out is sexual harassment, women are saying that if they are out and a dude just walks up to them and asks them out that they feel harassed by that. Which is fair, let me just go an dig out my old friend Mr. Dictionary and read up what harassment means. Oh look, harassment means unwanted behaviour which you find offensive or which makes you feel intimidated or humiliated. 

You talk about how if the fear of men is so extreme that it is not the actions of the man in question, but it is the action of the man in question, when the question is "Do women like men coming up to them out of the blue and asking them out?" and a chunk of them say that they don't like that whenever they are asked about it, but dudes are still out here trying it on anyway and even more guys are on the sidelines pontificating about how they don't understand how people are supposed to get their fuck on anymore if men can't walk up to women and start chatting them up uninvited. 

There are lots of ways we can fix the problem, and part of that starts with men understanding that the balance of power in society and in personal interactions between men and women is not equal. Just because you wouldn't mind something, doesn't mean that women feel the same way about the same behaviour, you can start by just listening to women talking about their experiences of unpleasant encounters with men. If we are lucky we will be the last generations who have to deal with the kind of misogyny we have in society today, the internet has given enough people a voice, that the problem can't be swept under the rug anymore, but we won't make it if men keep thinking around the subject because they don't want to address the problems that we have created or allowed to perpetuate through our own inaction.

On the first thing- that's exactly the point I was trying to raise. I was using an extreme example of prejudice. Unfortunately as I think we both agree , in the case of a woman being in fear of a man it likely has legit premise.

Specifically to the second paragraph, your example was about the feeling the woman would have if she meets the man later on her own after having politely said no. Your example wasn't that the question was the problem it is how she might feel if she encounters him later on her own. So it's not the issue of whether the asking out is harassment (and I think context is absolutely key there but happy to agree that just going up to someone out of the blue can rightly be called out) its that because the woman said no to the guy in your example she would be fearful of his follow up if they were alone.

Have I got your example correct of have I missed something. Because in your example i read it that it wasn't that the first encounter was unpleasant it was the fear of the what might happen in the second encounter that was the issue.

Edit: also honest question, and I'm not asking this because I'm some fucking love machine stud muffin, but can anyone say they have never been approached by a member of the opposite sex out of the blue in a night club or pub situation? This act doesn't strike me as male exclusive behaviour but because of other events it carries an unpleasant edge if its a man doing it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • In my example both encounters are unpleasant. Just some random dude bowling up and striking up conversation uninvited might well be a pretty unpleasant experience. Edit - obvs the second encounter is probably WAAAAAAY more awful. 

That's the problem, because misogyny has been completely swept under the rug for so long, and because it doesn't get talked about, most men think everything is probably going okay and you get people like Crayon wondering if now is the "good" era of men's treatment of women.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    This act doesn't strike me as male exclusive behaviour but because of other events it carries an unpleasant edge if its a man doing it.

Bingo! Yes.

Men hold all the power and all the cards in our society. You have to acknowledge that fact and view the problem through that lens.
  • Roujin wrote:
    In my example both encounters are unpleasant. Just some random dude bowling up and striking up conversation uninvited might well be a pretty unpleasant experience. Edit - obvs the second encounter is probably WAAAAAAY more awful. 

That's the problem, because misogyny has been completed swept under the rug for so long, and because it doesn't get talked about, most men think everything is probably going okay and you get people like Crayon wondering if now is the "good" era of men's treatment of women.

OK- at least that makes more sense if the first encounter is unpleasant. I think Griff did make the civil manner point which maybe muddied things for me.

Again, context is everything but I don't think asking someone out somewhat out of the blue is a male-only thing.

Edit: just at poprock - 100 agree. But what a sad situation that the default male position is that.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Edit: also honest question, and I'm not asking this because I'm some fucking love machine stud muffin, but can anyone say they have never been approached by a member of the opposite sex out of the blue in a night club or pub situation? This act doesn't strike me as male exclusive behaviour but because of other events it carries an unpleasant edge if its a man doing it.

Literally the only time a woman ever approached me on some night out was when I was a student and some fucking 50 year old collars me at the bar and starts chirpsing on and asking me if I liked Nirvana and shit because I was wearing a black hoodie and baggy jeans. Otherwise I am extremely repellent to women, they can like smell my beta hormones or something.

Edit: Just to chip in, I agree, asking someone out of the blue is not male only, but it carries a whole different set of vibes when it's a man doing it to a woman compared to vice versa. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9617035
  • Roujin wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Literally the only time a woman ever approached me on some night out was when I was a student and some fucking 50 year old collars me at the bar and starts chirpsing on and asking me if I liked Nirvana and shit because I was wearing a black hoodie and baggy jeans. Otherwise I am extremely repellent to women, they can like smell my beta hormones or something.

Didnt say it was a hot woman. 

Anyway beside the point. I do agree with you that as men we all need to call out the poor behaviour. Part of it is recognising our own bad behaviour. Sure, it may not fall into what we, as men, consider the serious stuff but it all builds towards the overall scene. I know in my younger years I was an insecure man and my first proper relationship brought out an unhealthy possessive streak which I made sure to work on after that. I also know with a few drinks on I probably fell into the role of going up to girls who clearly did not want anything to do with me. Yeah, didnt go any further but it still is problematic behaviour as it was seen as ok. 

Generalising here but it says a lot that if you got drunk and started on someone for a fight, people would rush to calm you down, pull you off, talk some sense into you. If you get drunk and start pestering someone in a bar, people just laugh.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah I think that's a good point at the end there Dave about attitudes to people getting drunk and aggressive and people getting drunk and pestering people. Same with recognising that behaviour which to men doesn't seem problematic, but to people on the receiving end of it, is something we need to consider from their point of view and stopping it. 

I suppose the good thing is that these are behaviours that people are starting to think about and hopefully we can sort out our kids so they do better, even if we might not be able to help our and older generations.
  • There is truth in almost every argument and counter-argument for topics like this, and you can go around in circles empathising with different groupings of men/women and the unique problems they face. Sadly the discourse usually descends into a reductive good team vs bad team/ winners vs losers, but any individual's lived reality may well be more nuanced. Either way I'm not sure we'll find any commonly accepted solutions with this outlook.
  • poprock wrote:
    I have had a three-hour briefing session from Police Scotland’s rape and sexual violence prevention team today. 

60–70% of men are considered by the Police to be at risk of offending. Yes, 60–70% of all men. 60–70% of men in this thread, probably.

Just think about that for a minute. It why, if someone right here on this forum makes a joke about pulling on a night out or whatever and it feels a bit off, the rest of us have a fucking duty to call it out, because that is exactly how you begin to change things. You make it less accepted by personally not accepting it.

I asked someone in Pret if I can join her table. I got five years after that.
    Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Way back in the mists of time I was at a party with a bunch of work colleagues. One of the older guys points at a girl across the way and says to me “look at the jugs on that.” I replied by saying “Yes, that’s my girlfriend. What’s your point?” He didn’t believe me, laughed it off, so I called her over and told her what he’d done. She punched him and he deserved it.

Fast forward five or six years and the same man was fired for exposing himself to one of our female team leaders while working late one night, and wanking off in front of her. Calling him out all those years before clearly didn’t teach him a damn thing.

But y’know what? Maybe doing the same thing another few times would have had a cumulative effect and made him think twice.

And y’know what really pisses me off about that incident in hindsight? That the victim, a director of our company, didn’t report the crime to the Police. The fucking pervert got shamed by losing his job but he didn’t get a criminal record out of it. And he bloody well should have done.
  • Thats pretty awful. I'd assume there is a big step from someone point out the size of a womans breasts and dropping their trousers and having a wank in front of someone but hey, maybe thats the point.  I dont really get why it seems to be such a prominent thing with male sex offenders - the whole wanking in front of someone. 

Back to a question Gonzo raised - if I took it right, do not all men to some extent see women as sex objects. I've had a think about this and honestly I think everyone does view many of us in a sexual manner but not necessarily as a sex object (by which a mean something that is purely to be used for sex and then thats it) I always think there is a line to be drawn somewhere between the two points. I think its fine to see someone in a sexual light (ok - not children, parents or siblings obviously) even if its with no intention of acting on it, without it verging into the same column as a sex object. Not sure how others feel on that one.
    SFV - reddave360
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    Stuff …

Thanks for chiming in Andy, I think it’s really helpful to get your perspective on this stuff. Wookie’s too, probably.

You’re dead right to pull up the points I posted earlier. I was fresh off the Teams call about it and full of indignation. I exaggerated on purpose, to dial up the impact. Probably shouldn’t have done that.

First of all, it’s the Scottish Police Authority I was being briefed by, not Police Scotland. There is a difference, even if just an administrative one.

The 60–70% of men figure is definitely a vague one (which is why it’s a range, not a specific number). An off-the-cuff figure from one of the SPA team to make the point, not a number backed up with data. The actual numbers will be in the insights/research pack they’ll be sending me later. 

The point I should have made is that this is the campaign marketing side of the SPA, they’re hiring my team to create their next public anti-rape campaign. The chat goes like this: 20% of men are beyond our reach - sociopaths, psychopaths, and ingrained misogynists who will emotionally or physically hurt women. No matter what. Those men are for the criminal justice system to deal with. 10–20% of men will never, ever be at risk of committing sexual offences. They’re literally just too good or nice. Every other man is at risk of offending, at some level, and within our reach for prevention.

And on your second point, you are 100% right. I overdramatised by saying ‘and thus 60–70% of men in this thread …’ because that ignores the demographics of our community here. That was me exaggerating. I probably shouldn’t have.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I think its fine to see someone in a sexual light (ok - not children, parents or siblings obviously) even if its with no intention of acting on it, without it verging into the same column as a sex object. Not sure how others feel on that one.

Psychologists will tell you that sexual gratification is the fourth most powerful human need. The hard part is reminding all men that acting on that desire/need has to be consensual. You don’t have a right to gratification. Ever. The even harder part is educating on what consent actually means – and when it’s required. There’s a line. Don’t cross it. But where is that line? It’s in a different place in each person’s head. The work I’m going to do with the Police on this upcoming project is about a public campaign saying ‘legally, the line is here. No grey areas. Be in no doubt.’ (ie. it won’t be about morality. Just criminality.)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It is something I have to deal with sometimes in terms of disclosures from pupils about Child Protection issues with parents. In all but two of the times it has happened, the disclosure has come from a male pupil, usually at the S1-2 end of school.

I have had to deal with issues with some of our senior pupils and it really does come from a place of ignorance. The reaction to the older boys when you raise it with them is often extreme "are you saying I'm an X, Y, Z" so there is absolutely a realisation that it is an unpleasant thing in society, but it's a "not me tho, guv" to being called out on it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I think its fine to see someone in a sexual light (ok - not children, parents or siblings obviously) even if its with no intention of acting on it, without it verging into the same column as a sex object. Not sure how others feel on that one.

Psychologists will tell you that sexual gratification is the fourth most powerful human need. The hard part is reminding all men that acting on that desire/need has to be consensual. You don’t have a right to gratification. Ever. The even harder part is educating on what consent actually means – and when it’s required. There’s a line. Don’t cross it. But where is that line? It’s in a different place in each person’s head. The work I’m going to do with the Police on this upcoming project is about a public campaign saying ‘legally, the line is here. No grey areas. Be in no doubt.’ (ie. it won’t be about morality. Just criminality.)

With the new RSHP programme introduced 2 years ago, there is so much of an emphasis on consent now. Yes, the old Tea / Consent still gets wheeled out, but there is a lot more in junior years about general consent - aka if you don't want to do something, you don't have to. Always one banter merchant says "I don't want to go to school" as though they're the cleverest person in existence.
  • poprock wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:

I don't think that we are quite discussing the same thing. Acting on your sexual impulse could be anything both consensual and non-consensual, and indeed done as a couple or a group or even on your own. And yes, getting Men to realise that because they want to act on that impulse doesnt mean they can. Or that the other person wants to join in.

But I was referring more to feeling attraction to someone. I'm guessing most of us here are able to not act on a physical attraction easily enough but it shouldn't mean that we mark that feeling of attraction as "wrong". Because the reason we don't always act on attraction can be many things - most are not realted at all to being convicted of a crime. So we are still looking at some people in a sexual light but its mostly because its part of our species nature and not with some illicit intent. 

Curious question Poprock - If a woman had said your girlfriend has lovely breasts would you have been offended? I know in this case the guy did turn out ot be a scumbag but women will often remark on how pretty another woman is and its not that uncommon a thing to hear.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Curious question Poprock - If a woman had said your girlfriend has lovely breasts would you have been offended? I know in this case the guy did turn out ot be a scumbag but women will often remark on how pretty another woman is and its not that uncommon a thing to hear.

That was actually my evil ex-wife. I wasn’t offended at all, she did have absolutely fabulous tits. It was a pretty obvious point of fact and not up for much dispute. I was angry at the entitled attitude of an older man in a position of power (over me, at work) who thought it was okay to start banter about those fabulous tits. What did he want out of that conversation? He wanted to make it okay to bring sexual objectification into the workplace. And to make it okay to behave as though men automatically held authority over women in the workplace. Which is not okay at all. And look where that attitude ended up taking him.

Context, context, context. There is always a line you shouldn’t be crossing.
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:

There is a difference between paying a compliment to someone and making objectifying, dehumanising remarks about physical characteristics over which we have little or no control. In my experience, women will tend to compliment each other by commenting on how the other woman’s hair / make up / clothes really suit them rather than comment on the aesthetics of their mammary glands. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but direct remarks on physique tend to be limited to close friendships. Conversely, think about how often “that” is used in certain men’s language, regardless of whether it’s a woman across the street, or a work colleague. “Look at the arse on that,” or, “I’d bang that,” turn the women into objects. Phrases like, “She’d get it,” or, “I’d smash her back door in,” have undertones of violence and disregard notions of consent. Even if a man would not himself rape a woman, he’s helping cultivate a landscape in which other men think that their views on whether or not women have a right to say no are more widely tolerated and accepted.

This is a very acute and well made distinction about the connotations of violence that comments about women often have. I've certainly heard friends say "I'd do bad things to her" which, if you look at that phrase suggests something awful.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Time to sink the sins thread haha

I mean, start as meaning to go on.
  •  If the fear of men is so extreme that it is not the action of the man in question but just the general experience that the woman has is in relation to men that makes her afraid than the problem is far beyond even these points.  Men have effectively Woman fearful of all of us (and I'm not saying that it is not justified) Again, how on earth do you fix that? You arent looking to just fix behaviour, you need to fix perception as well.
    That's a hell of an If to try to gather useful data on, but I do wonder if the information space most of us live in now has made made this kind of anxiety more acute.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I do wonder if the information space most of us live in now has made made this kind of anxiety more acute.

Or maybe giving more women platforms to talk publicly about their experience has exposed how big the problem really is.
  • Most probably sounds the death knell for traditional male female interaction. It does contradict the idea of immutable equality amongst genders, which is so overtly pushed for.

It's almost 6pm so I have to get home.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!