Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • Abigail Thorn. Fair play on that video.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • This ep of Trashfuture is good 'pon the above. Britain has a fairly unique TERF problem.
  • So our AG is probably a rapist, and is defo and dodgy misogynist, and has just given a presser that is hard to watch because self pity and BS when the victim killed herself is.... Not good.

This less than a week after a whole raft of stuff about a gov staffer being found to have abused/raped at least 3 women (one literally in parliament house) and it being obvious that the gov are in big denial/nothing to see here mode.

Its a mood. And not a good one.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Among women aged 18-24, 97% said they had been sexually harassed, while 80% of women of all ages said they had experienced sexual harassment in public spaces.

Well there's some depressingly high statistics for ya...
  • So radio 4 and the Guardian have posted a some stats arising from a yougov poll commissioned by Unwomenuk.

They state that 97% of women aged 18-24 have been sexually harassed. 97%!

I was amazed by this fact so decided to take a look at the poll. Couldn't find it on yougov, but did find a slightly larger survey by yougov, from 2020. 50% of women, all ages have been sexually harassed by men in there lifetime. 20% in the last 5 years. The criteria range from saying they are attractive or asking them to go for a drink to flashing and pinching bums etc. The breakdown of respondents is interesting but not the point that popped into my head. The point was this. I was in the car with my two boys, listening to the two guests saying they weren't safe, they had to moderate their behavior and plan when going out, were in perpetual danger, no money has been spent on stopping violence against women and that the responsibility lies with educating men, not asking women to do anything as it is a male problem. My youngest said "why do men hurt women?" Which is a deep question and is typically framed in the manner that perpetrator/victim scenario is completely binary (maybe not worthwhile discussing but should agree that violence is never an answer to anything).

My response was that whilst men and women should be treated equally, on average men are stronger than women and on average likely to be more aggressive and violent. "Is that why you like shooting games daddy?". "Well, yes, in part I suppose." "But you two are good and kind boys and should grow up to be good kind men, who respect others and don't hurt people, however there will always be people at the extreme end of whatever character trait we think of, so there are some really very violent men, and they will continue to do nasty things".

So it got me thinking, does education of men's responsibilities to women ever likely change the behaviours of the people at the extreme end of the misanthropy scale? Does it negatively impact and propogate some negative feelings in those boys who are genuinely "good", which I think are within 2sd of the mean?

Again I am waffling, but to hear my 6 year old feel part of a problem group didn't start my day off well.
  • I think it’s our responsibility to shift the window along as far as we can. Try and reduce the section of ‘men who think it’s okay to hurt women’ further and further until in an ideal world it’s only ever that tiny percentage of men who are genuinely disturbed and unwell. Attempting to prevent those few from being able to act on their impulses is a wholly separate mission and one for professionals to tackle.

That’s a massively oversimplified take, but it’s an attempt to answer the spirit of your question without digressing into chat about what is and isn’t ‘men’s fault’.

Spoiler: most things are our fault.
  • Yar. And also ensuring the conversation isn't all 'she was wearing a short skirt/she was on her own/she shouldn't be out at night', but actually 'that guy is a cunt'. The conversation has gone on too long with framing sexual assault as somehow partly the victims fault.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Maybe I live in weird little bubble, but surely most people, men and women, know that you shouldn't hurt people, physically or mentally.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Yar. And also ensuring the conversation isn't all 'she was wearing a short skirt/she was on her own/she shouldn't be out at night', but actually 'that guy is a cunt'. The conversation has gone on too long with framing sexual assault as somehow partly the victims fault.

The 97% stat is all that people look at. Further scrutiny then yields that asking someone out for a drink is harassment.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Yar. And also ensuring the conversation isn't all 'she was wearing a short skirt/she was on her own/she shouldn't be out at night', but actually 'that guy is a cunt'. The conversation has gone on too long with framing sexual assault as somehow partly the victims fault.
    The 97% stat is all that people look at. Further scrutiny then yields that asking someone out for a drink is harassment.

It depends entirely on how it is done, and the circumstances it's done in.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:

It depends entirely on how it is done, and the circumstances it's done in.

Of course, but the follow up in the poll shows that whilst it is a criterium for the overall percentage, 94% of respondents didn't think it was sexual harassment.

Any way, I suppose that isn't the point.
  • How many of the worse offenders are immigrants? I know this is a loaded question but you do hear, and occasionally see, say, Arab kids or Turkish kids. I can tell you with high confidence that those kids will have grown up in circumstances where that talk, those expectations, of kindness and respect will have been hammered onto them. Vouched mostly in terms of cultural norms like family, reputation, religion and so on.

Maybe those norms aren't universal enough so they think "doesn't apply to nightbus, not my neighbourhood". Years ago, for example, this wiry lanky kid, barely 16, backed up onto me in Blackstock Road. I'd seen him coming, didn't exactly take full evasive action, just popped my shoulder and sent him rocking back to his mates. He was all in my face like, you starting bro, fuck this and fuck that. Little multi ethnic rudeboy, only I knew they were all Algerian and this was he Algerian bit of Blackstock road.

I answered him immediately, "ouch bik?" IE what's wrong with you? Are you crazy? And he did a 180. "Sorry brother I thought you were English", something like that. I asked who his father was, told him that he was giving us all a bad rep if he starts on English people, we'd all suffer cos of him etc etc.

Anyhoo, I wanted to give this example of the "boundary" issue
    Kid is taught respect, he is shit scared I might be a member of the community (I'm not, I'm just addicted to merguez and deglet nour dates). But he is acting out.

On the whole, my own tuppence is, that isn't the case. This kid is going to an English vomp school, he is acting like a rudeboy. He won't dare do it in his community (fast forward 20-30 years or so when the Algerian community is as fully integrated as Jamaicans and Africans, and it won't be quite the same, but I'd you know some older Jamaicans you will also know the young uns are still scared of them)

If this kid is disrespectful to women, forward and so on, I'm gonna guess it comes from.an innate aggressive impulse in young men. I'd hazard to say the hypersexualisation of our age, our culture - music, online, etc - does not help. It's not mainly about upbringing or repression (though, one wonders if that had a role to play in those grooming cases up north, with essentially organised abusers all stemming from one community in Kashmir or whatever)

In my opinion education does matter. But experience matters more. Social disapprobation matters even more. Eg group of mates catcalling doesn't work as soon as one of them signals disapproval.

Is our experience, really, telling us women aren't at least *in part* sexual objects for men? I know our discourse, what we say, tells us otherwise. But is our experience, what we see and do, the same?

Answer this question honestly.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:

It's not asking someone out for a drink, it's approaching someone out in public and just asking them if they want to go out for a drink with you.

It's not just a question of hurting people, almost everyone understands the concept of direct physical and mental harm. The deeper issue is typically men, just assuming it's cool to approach someone minding their own business in public and asking them out, commenting on their attractiveness, etc. It's not even something that I think is a conscious thing for men when they do it. They just approach women because it's safe for them to do that. On the flipside, most men won't go up to another dude and call out that behaviour if they see it, because they don't want a punch in the face.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • My thoughts are that anyone can talk to anyone, as long as it is in a civil manner.
  • It’s taken me too long to write a response and the thread’s moved on. So here’s what I was gonna say, but in spoiler tags so it doesn’t derail the conversation (hopefully, dunno if it’ll work).

Spoiler:
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    My thoughts are that anyone can talk to anyone, as long as it is in a civil manner.

Okay that's great but you are a man, so being civil probably just means acting in a manner that is not aggressive, or outwardly rude or prejudiced. 

Imagine if you are a woman, and a man comes up to you and says whatever you are wearing looks nice and would you like to go get a drink, and you politely decline. Later, you are walking home and by pure chance the same guy from earlier is walking towards you in the park on your way home and there is no one around. How do you think you would feel about that?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'm really not particularly convinced this is a problem for individual men to solve, neolib self-help shit lets a lot of powerful structures off the hook. Look instead at what makes people precarious, fragile, anxious about status/success and likely to act up despicably.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    My thoughts are that anyone can talk to anyone, as long as it is in a civil manner.

Okay that's great but you are a man, so being civil probably just means acting in a manner that is not aggressive, or outwardly rude or prejudiced. 

Imagine if you are a woman, and a man comes up to you and says whatever you are wearing looks nice and would you like to go get a drink, and you politely decline. Later, you are walking home and by pure chance the same guy from earlier is walking towards you in the park on your way home and there is no one around. How do you think you would feel about that?

Valid point.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I'm really not particularly convinced this is a problem for individual men to solve, neolib self-help shit lets a lot of powerful structures off the hook.

Equally, it’s not a problem for individual men to ignore either. The personal is political, as the riot grrrls used to say.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There are times when someone can be pretty clearly signalling that they aren’t looking for engagement (headphones in, head in a book). Trying to strike up a conversation with that individual, even if done civilly, seems off to me.
  • poprock wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    I'm really not particularly convinced this is a problem for individual men to solve, neolib self-help shit lets a lot of powerful structures off the hook.
    Equally, it’s not a problem for individual men to ignore either. The personal is political, as the riot grrrls used to say.

Oh sure, but I mean let's not be too disappointed when nothing much changes.
  • Sorry, but fuck that attitude right into the bin.

Next time someone behaves like a shit around me, I’m calling them out on it. You should do the same.

Letting it slide is not a mistake I’m willing to ever make again, whether it’s out of fear or shame or whatever.
  • I think this will just keep happening and maybe we’re at peak “good” and rotten stuff is impossible to fully stop. If it looks like a cop is involved in this what chance is there to educate every single person? 

I think the only solution would be some way to impart an instinctive vulnerability onto all men somehow rather than mass telling them to be good because the bad ones will still do stuff from a space of assumed invulnerability but how do you wreck that assumption. 

I think it’s extremely unhelpful that so many people who claim to be attacked are let down by the justice system so maybe the only solution is to make any accusation a guaranteed jail term or something or a lower level of evidence in such cases.
  • wrote:
    I think this will just keep happening and maybe we’re at peak “good” and rotten stuff is impossible to fully stop.
    press-x-to-doubt-la-noire.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960&h=500

Edit: By which I mean, the quantity of rotten stuff is not currently so minor that one could consider it to just be the people left in society who are medically incapable of controlling themselves.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Okay that's great but you are a man, so being civil probably just means acting in a manner that is not aggressive, or outwardly rude or prejudiced.  Imagine if you are a woman, and a man comes up to you and says whatever you are wearing looks nice and would you like to go get a drink, and you politely decline. Later, you are walking home and by pure chance the same guy from earlier is walking towards you in the park on your way home and there is no one around. How do you think you would feel about that?

Hold on though - I'm not saying that there would be a worry on the part of the woman that's based on not the person but either past experience or fear of something happening based on what they have read or heard. That means its not the act of asking someone out that is the offence - its men in general. That fear, sadly is justified but the concern seems to be what the woman is imagining might happen with the man not that she has encountered him again with no-one around.

Fear of "dangerous" coloured people or immigrants could somewhat be justified the same way

Imagine if you are a white person, and a coloured person comes up to you and says do you have a smoke , and you politely decline. Later, you are walking home and by pure chance the same person from earlier is walking towards you in the park on your way home and there is no one around. How do you think you would feel about that?

The problem is in both cases its not the person asking the other out for a drink or a smoke thats the real problem. Its the experience of the other person that really matters - have they experienced harassment before (lets be fair - pretty likely for women) or have they friends or family who have, or even are they scared just on what they see or hear in media. I'm not suggesting for one second that its not a justified fear for that person, more that its impossible to know on the part of the person asking the question.

And this creates a problem - if asking someone for a drink is a problem; how do you fix it. Do you have to know the person a certain amount of time? Do we need a certain amount of small talk to get to that point. Yoss listed some good points where it can be obvious that someone wants to be left alone and yet one of the nicest chat-ups done on me was in college when I was reading a book in the student canteen and a friend of a woman in one of my classes just came over to have a chat and ask if we wanted to meet up later for a drink. It was wonderful and I dug her confidence. I'd imagine there's many scenarios where the same has happened for women were they have been equally as flattered as I was that day (FWIW I'd did meet up, and made such a poor impression there was no follow up)
    SFV - reddave360
  • PVEVsZ1.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Reasonable post Dave, but the term coloured isn’t considered acceptable any more.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/coloured-offensive-why-term-greg-clarke-fa-chairman-what-say-comments-resigned-756234
  • Dave, that example is a complete whataboutery. Are men sexually assaulted (or worse) by other men because they refuse to give them a cigarette? No they are not.

A big problem with the discussions we NEED to have as men, come from this "not all men" narrative, which appears every time something like this happens. It derails the conversation and diverts attention from the problem. The problem is that because men grow up in a patriarchy, we have a level of privilege (uh oh I said the P word) that women do not enjoy and that bestows upon us both a confidence, and a lack of a need to think about our actions, because of that position. 

The issue is not that you can't ask someone out for a drink. The issue is that men do not need to think about their consequences of their actions, because the consequences frequently don't happen to them, they happen to the other person. It's quite easy for example, to know if it's okay to approach someone in public, if the other person is minding their own business and is not dropping huge social cues your way like extended eye contact, then they are minding their own business. I don't expect randoms to approach me when I'm out and talk to me about anything (beggars etc notwithstanding, but that's a different societal problem for another day), so why would I expect women who are minding their own business, even if they are in a bar to want me to start talking to them about anything if they haven't made any kind of hint towards it?

I think this video here, starting from the timestamp at 14:22, sums up the problem we have really well. Men, have a responsibility to stop the unacceptable behaviour of other men, just allowing the behaviour to slide because you know the guy, isn't enough, why don't more men want to solve our problem?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!