House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel series) Spoiler thread !post evening airing!
‹ Previous123456712
  • Spoiler rules
    Please only post about an episode after its EVENING showing on Sky Atlantic.
    Sky are airing the show at the same time here as the U.S  and then again in the evening. Then some will get it on the high seas and watch whenever. 
    As most people will want to watch in the evening that seems the most sensible time to unleash spoilers.

House of the Dragon is a prequel series set in Westeros, two centuries before the war of the five kings (Game of Thrones). The focus of the show appears to be the ruling Targaryens. No doubt there will be twists, back stabbings and tits along the way.

Ep 1
    Monday 22nd Sky Atlantic 9pm

Teaser

Final Trailer
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Although I loved Game of Thrones, I don't think I have any motivation to watch this at all. Don't know why.
  • Im up for it.
    I am hoping it will be a bit more like the earlier seasons of GoT. More political shit housing and less superheroes with dragons.
  • It’s gonna be dog shit. I’ll still watch it though.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I strongly suspect it's going to be superheroes with dragons, but I'll be giving it a watch anyhoo.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Looking forward to it, GoT worked when they had the books, this has a book.

To be fair, it's not a great book, but a shitload of stuff happens, so the potential is there.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Matt Smith?

Absolutely can't stand him, hope his character dies in the first episode
  • The Daddy wrote:
    It’s gonna be dog shit. I’ll still watch it though.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Looking forward to it, GoT worked when they had the books, this has a book.

To be fair, it's not a great book, but a shitload of stuff happens, so the potential is there.

I didn't realise there was a book. Is it one he wrote a long time ago?
  • Probably more of a pamphlet.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Its Fire and Blood.
    I havent read it but I think its more like a historic text describing key events from this era.
    Thats the impression I got anyway, could be wrong.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Looking forward to it, GoT worked when they had the books, this has a book. To be fair, it's not a great book, but a shitload of stuff happens, so the potential is there.

I have a weird relationship with GoT (if you could call it that , I have not watched any of it).

I read the first book, and there was a shitload of stuff going on and I enjoyed it. It finished well too with the first dragon egg either hatching or about to hatch.

But for some reason I wasn't compelled to read on. I remember thinking it would make great TV/film but it felt contrived to be that way.

I'm also fucking sick of hearing about GoT over here - as if we have never done anything else - like building that fucking ship that sank.   And if I have to drive English people around that bloody North coast GoT trail again I'll go mental.

Anyhoo. Won't be engaging. It all feels derivative of Hobbit/LoTR anyhow and I'm finished with that - doubt I'll watch that reboot either.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Imagine how kiwis feel about LotR.
  • I'm hyped for it. GoT 1-4 is still untouchable , shame it lost its way but nothing will change how good those first 4 seasons were/are. I think it was ruined partially because D&D had no book and they rushed it to get it finished.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Imagine how kiwis feel about LotR.

I can only imagine.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm currently reading A Feast For Crows which I've started 3 times across multiple years. In fact I first started it before season 5 of GoT aired so I'm just behind Martin's writing on pace.

S1-4 are definitely the best of the show but they cover the best of the books as well. AFfC is an absolute slog of nothing really happening so that is really the start of the show runners having to make something work. The last seasons were where they had most input and were the worst but I dont really believe Martin knows how to end the series either, I don't believe the hype about him having it all set out and think we will be lucky to get Winds of Winter out of him before he pops it.

Martin writes excellent tangents, I'm not sure he can complete an arc. Perhaps that is how it should stay.
  • I’m 100% in. Going in with low expectations for this prequel, but GoT remains the best TV of the last decade for me. Especially the first half of it.
  • Kow wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    Looking forward to it, GoT worked when they had the books, this has a book. To be fair, it's not a great book, but a shitload of stuff happens, so the potential is there.
    I didn't realise there was a book. Is it one he wrote a long time ago?
    Nah, after the last of the novels. A fairly lightweight history of the Targaryen monarchs on the surface, lots of plot, very broad characters and hardly any dialogue.
  • Apparently, some Targaryaens are now black which has drawn the ire of certain GoT fans. Blasphemy, pc gone mad etc etc....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Also, quite curious how well this prequel will turn out.
    GoT S1-4 will be hard to top.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Is it known if it's the same writers/showrunners etc from the last series of GoT?  If it's a proper fresh start then it might have a chance.
  • Not the same writing team / show runners, afaik.
  • The books start falling apart after the Red Wedding. I can’t remember what happens when but iirc the tv show did a much better job of keeping it all together for longer.
  • Those last couple of books are a real state. I realised when they had Tyrion learning to ride a pig in a circus that Martin had completely lost control.
  • The first 3 volumes are the first 4 seasons. (4 books physically as SoS is split). The show pretty much tracks the books up until the end of season 4, ends with Tyrion killing Tywin then escaping Kings Landing.

Its a real crescendo of that act of the overall story. Season 5 and AFfC should be the start of act 2 but its all a bit rudderless.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Im up for it. I am hoping it will be a bit more like the earlier seasons of GoT. More political shit housing and less superheroes with dragons.

Is what we'd like, but it's surely Ronsealed its oncoming shitness by calling itself House of the Dragon and revolving around the least interesting fam. Seems they've learnt nothing about why Thrones became so disappointing.

The Targs were always the cheesiest clan, at fantasy-level odds with the others, of which the Baratheons, Lannisters and Starks dominated those great early episodes. I'd rather a Free Folk series.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Scape nails it here. Unlike the politics thread.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Who has a better story... than Rishi the Token?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s one big coin.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You know nothing, Liz Truss.
‹ Previous123456712

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!