House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel series) Spoiler thread !post evening airing!
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The Hand got interesting until they resolved it in a single scene.

The show lacks a hook.
    Also I stand by it desperately needing a B plot to cut to to help with the passage of time and offer variation in tone.

It may get even more interesting now. I like the slow start carefully moving pawns around. Much prefer that to moving to fast. I feel like its building and these are all new characters so time needs investing in them other wise big repercussions won't mean anything later down the line.

I like it so far. I don't love it yet but barring a couple of miss steps here and there I think its been good and holds promise.

Agreed a B plot would be welcome as to would more variety in locations and families. I'm hoping this comes with time. Slowly slowly catchy monkey is welcome after the last couple of GoT seasons.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Have pawns moved? Aren't we more or less back where we started?
  • I'm just waiting for a young melisandra to turn up.
  • Have pawns moved? Aren't we more or less back where we started?

I'd say so.

Sea Snake fellow upset at a shunned marriage offer, a hand fired with a daughter as queen and a grandson with a claim to the throne. A spiraling king clearly getting sicker and more paranoid. A brothers claim taken away and given to his niece of which they are both fond of each other. I could go on. All of these parts have moved since episode one creating different dynamics. Its enough for it to build to something larger and meaningful.

GoT was at its best when the pay offs had a slow build. I'm keeping optimistic.
  • I don’t think any of those parts have moved since episode one, though. They were all in plain sight and easily predicted from the off. There are no surprises yet. None.
  • And that's ep.4 done.
    Good stuff, I like the acting performances especially of young Rhynaera.
    The plot takes a dark turn; it's certainly in stark contrast with amazon's the rings of power.
    Also good but in a different way.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • poprock wrote:
    I don’t think any of those parts have moved since episode one, though. They were all in plain sight and easily predicted from the off. There are no surprises yet. None.

That's how I feel too.
    It certainly feels like nothing has moved. Being set in the same sets and having very similar conversations each episode makes it feel like it's treading water.

It's also because it jumps ahead almost 4 years and apparently nothing of note has happened apart from the main storyline elements and everyone just looks the same. Pretty sure more happened in one month in the original series than has happened in about 6 years of this show

• An improvement.
    Although once again a potentially interesting storyline is started and struck off in a single ep.

Also why is everyone always getting a boat to Kingslanding?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    No improvement for me. Dr Who making good use of the TARDIS to appear right where he needs to be without anyone knowing that he's traveling is some convenient writing.

The late entrance to the party, and then another late entrance during the speech almost made me laugh. Then a fight breaks out. This is the kind of shite takes place in the Queen Vic every few months. Only thing missing was it ending on a cliffhanger with the 'enders doof doofs. Pure crap.

And how the fuck does the ginger chap cotton on to the princess' plaything within an hour or so but the rest of the court are oblivious? The way he looks at her? While he's on duty as her sworn protector?! Pull the other one for fuck's sake
  • Twas shit for me. Doesn't make sense. Like, at all in places. Eg Krispen Cole murdering in broad daylight and getting away with it. Or murdering at all, for that matter. Your lover's future husband is gay, happy days.

Dross. But I liked Otto- Alicent. I read fire and blood like alicemt was in on the conspiracy, but mayhaps not intitally. She just ended up having to fight to save her kids.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Daemon killing his wife was shot very oddly, the hood and the hand gestures were like he was a sith lord or something.

Otto and Alicent was great, the more we see of the Targs, the more he seems probably right. Alicent starting to think about the game as well.

Lemon tree and Maester conspiracy from GoT in one episode also a plus for me, the Strongs are very obviously playing the game now.

Wedding could have been great, epic Daemon entrance, followed by an even better Alicent entrance, but let down by that fight. I think Daemon tries to kill Laenor and Joffrey defends him, which makes Cole go bad cop and kill him when the knife appears. It seems very deliberately unclear though, so that could be completely wrong. 

It all feels very like Darkstar cutting off Myrcella's ear or not in the books and there's a reason no one likes Darkstar.
  • I_R wrote:
    Daemon killing his wife was shot very oddly, the hood and the hand gestures were like he was a sith lord or something.

Otto and Alicent was great, the more we see of the Targs, the more he seems probably right. Alicent starting to think about the game as well.

Lemon tree and Maester conspiracy from GoT in one episode also a plus for me, the Strongs are very obviously playing the game now.

Wedding could have been great, epic Daemon entrance, followed by an even better Alicent entrance, but let down by that fight. I think Daemon tries to kill Laenor and Joffrey defends him, which makes Cole go bad cop and kill him when the knife appears. It seems very deliberately unclear though, so that could be completely wrong. 

It all feels very like Darkstar cutting off Myrcella's ear or not in the books and there's a reason no one likes Darkstar.

It's a weird nod to warging brink TK. But done clumsily. Targs only ward dragons, not horses. But there is enough ambiguity for it to just be a spooked horse. Which doesn't really make sense, like what was Daemons plan in the first place?

Silly
  • When I say improvement it's coming from a low level. Floppy face may have amused me enough.
    There did actually seem like some shifting of pieces in this own, the Queen in particular actually positioning herself.

I had forgotten about Darth Who and his his Horse Force powers. No idea what happened there. Very convenient that she fell and broke her back rather than just an arm or something.

The king really needs to die next episode so the show can open up a bit. No way this is maintaining viewing figures.
  • Some weird messy fight scenes, aye.
    I thought the king died in that very last scene? It's time for the murdering backstabbing wars of succession to begin. One can already tell all the various branches of the Targ family will be at one anothers throat next episode. Time jumps ahoy!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I wonder if anyone will arrive at Kingslanding by boat.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I wonder if Daemon will arrive unexpectedly and walk through the hall as tensions rise again. Again.
  • The king cutting up his tea desperately needs to become a meme.
    What was that!?!
  • Why do the royals insist on doing, tedious, uncomfortable, and even perilous journeys by ship and carriage when they have fucking dragons to fly about on?
  • To save on lamb. Direct flight KL to driftmark = 73 lambs. Haven't you read the appendices?
  • Of course I haven’t. GRRRRRRRM’s a shit writer, I never got past a few pages of the first book. Much better on telly.
  • Up to date. Last episode was the strongest so far. Quite rushed, a bit like latter day Thrones, but entertaining.
  • That’s me up to Ep5 now.
    Perhaps if you’ve read the books and are invested in the lore, then there’s something to be found of interest here, but for my money, this started poorly and has got progressively worse with each passing episode.
    Speaking of which. How many episodes of this are there?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The king cutting up his tea desperately needs to become a meme.
    What was that!?!

Rubber chicken
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've watched it but I'll keep spoilers under my hat until it's aired over here. But fucking fuck me, what a disjointed mess of a show. Book wankers must be expecting all this but it's leaving me like this:

benny-hill-wtf-shocked-gif-15264406.gif
  • Are you talking about
    Spoiler:
  • This is a right state.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Are you talking about
    Spoiler:

Aye. And that the time skips seem random, like someone skipping through chunks of a diary then reading a few pages. There's a bizarre feeling I get from it too. Like it drags while rushing things at the same time. It's a fucking mess
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There better be some serous fucking payoff after all this dragging on and on.
  • Well it totally shat the bed this week then.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yup - the time hops are jarring to say the least.

How many episodes is this going to be? I totally get the feeling of episodes dragging out but rushed... nothing exciting has happened, there are times when I forget there are dragons ffs.

Waiting for the episode where the budget has been splurged.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!