House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel series) Spoiler thread !post evening airing!
  • Honestly the show is like bad Guess Who.
    "Does he have both eyes?"
  • Or a bad character creator with only 5 variables and the hair colour option is hidden.

Whoever is playing as the king bought up all the DLC
  • Oh, one thing I didn't get was why younger son of Allicent looks older than his older brother now? The casting is well odd, he looks more like the older one that didn't lose an eye and the older one is more like the baby-faced younger younger one. Argh, too many actors!
    There's a theory that there's a psychic link between rider and dragon. Rhaenyra and Daemon are all impulsive and crazy and Viserys spends his adult life building a model of the city his dead dragon came from. Aemond takes the biggest dragon and gets crazy buffed.
  • Makes sense and is a cool bit or lore. Shame it wasn't made clear (unless it was and I missed it).
  • Well. Once again, I have no idea who most of these people are, or what the fuck they're all arguing about, but they do all seem to be absolute wankers. Who am I meant to be rooting for in this show? Considine is acting his socks off, but he's presumably checked out now. 
    This whole thing is just a massive fail for me. The only people I know who are enjoying it are folk I know who've read the books, and that's nice for them. I'm glad at least someone is enjoying it, but for me, I'm just baffled by the entire thing.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm rooting for that dagger we keep seeing.
  • Tune in next week to find out half the cast have died off screen. The remaining cast have all been replaced with new actors. Everyone is now being referred to by nicknames you've never heard before, and a man with blonde hair is upset about something.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Everyone has turned into Geralt of Rivia.
  • It reminds me of when someone else played Cheryl Stark for two months and no-one noticed.
  • Kow wrote:
    Everyone has turned into Geralt of Rivia.
    Isn't he in Star Wars?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Forgot about the incest, g. The writer is all about that incest
  • It's definitely a show where everyone is fucking everyone else. Either literally or metaphorically, or sometimes both.
  • Bastards and feckers the lot of them!
  • Harrumph!
  • Well I'm glad that I gave up weeks ago then
  • I've not read the books. I'm finding this to be heavily flawed but ok to watch once you get over the new-actors lurch every couple of episodes. Having to figure out who is who between Mr Hands and me means we miss bits and pieces. Cue terrible exposition in dialogue ("you knew that, Jace!" - still hadn't a clue if he was the younger or older son. Still don't, in fact).

But ignoring that some people are ageless vampires and the disorientation from the time jumps, I'd say this is a watchable 6.5 out of 10.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd say one of them had his eye out to help us remember who is who. Not that it actually matters which son is which, really.
  • Noooo, Kow, not those kids. The other lot, the brunettes.
  • EqsvNkJ.gif
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Valeryons who are actually Strongs who will take the name Targaryen should they become king?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There has to be better fantasy writers than this clown, surely?
  • I just feel like all this stuff works fine in a book, where you read the names over and over and it has a little family tree thing at the back for reference.
    They have translated it to screen too literally.
    What has happened so far really should have been the framework for 3 or 4 seasons then fleshed out with some additional characters and storylines to fill the gaps.

They have shat the bed because going off book was handled poorly at the end of GoT.
    I look forward to the finale which is a Penguin reading out some publishing dates and a 3 star Telegraph review quote.
  • I'm enjoying watching it despite its many flaws. I think you have to let the cast changes, and general confusion over who everyone is, wash over you. I'm sort of trusting that when its important that I need to know the difference between the kids then it'll tell me. I don't have special book knowledge but I think Season 2 will slow down a bit and stick with cast members. 

It's quite bad but then quite good at the same time. Like the dramatic entrance crutch they keep using. Whenever there's more than 5 people in a room, THERE WILL BE DRAMA, because someone's going to turn up late and be, I dunno, wearing a special hat of great import. So that's silly. But then the Paddy Considine dramatic entrance was top-tier.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I was wondering if we'd get someone doing the dramatic entrance during a speech/ceremony thing today, but no one burst through the door halfway through this time.
    Spoiler:

Another day another murder goes unpunished though. Funny old show, innit?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Someone explain to me what was going through granny's mind at the end there please?
  • Better not kill everyone (apart from the hundreds she did kill obviously) because the show would be over?

Yeah, that wasn't good. Very late season GoT. Wasn't a fan of the twins searching for Aegon or the swordfight they got into either.

Another weird murder as well. I can't imagine any way that forcing a man to sit down by pushing down on their shoulders cracks their skull wide open, but they did it anyway, Criston is just that dangerous.

A lot of veering away from the books here and it didn't work at all for me.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Better not kill everyone (apart from the hundreds she did kill obviously) because the show would be over?

Yeah, that wasn't good. Very late season GoT. Wasn't a fan of the twins searching for Aegon or the swordfight they got into either.

Another weird murder as well. I can't imagine any way that forcing a man to sit down by pushing down on their shoulders cracks their skull wide open, but they did it anyway, Criston is just that dangerous.

A lot of veering away from the books here and it didn't work at all for me.

Didn't get that. Interest was waning but what were they fighting about? Whether to take the new king to his mother or the hand?
  • In the books beesbury either gets thrown out the window or his head is cut clean off by Cole. A bit weird why they didn't go with either
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Death by forcibly sitting someone down too hard was stupid. 
    Didn't understand why boyking was hiding under a table. 
    Didn't understand why the two pairs of prats were trying to be first to find him. So because Otto lost the contest now he can't suggest to the King to kill the other Princess? Stupid. 
    The guard who rescued the old Princess said they can't go to the Dragon pit because they'll be looking for her there. So they need to go somewhere else before they realise she's gone? Are they looking for her yet or not?
    Dragon through stone floor in just the right spot with a human rider on its back. Ridic. And then why did she do it? Just to look at them and give them a bit of a scare?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!