House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel series) Spoiler thread !post evening airing!
  • 10 EPs.
    S2 has already been commissioned mind so not sure how that effects pacing.
  • I think it's ten episodes.

I'm still a fan, but some of the execution is a bit questionable. It's being quite explicit about who murders who and that's the third murder in a row that doesn't feel very well directed. In contrast, who has what dragon and why is mainly happening off screen.
  • I'll be amazed if this makes it to a second season tbh.
    It's an absolute shit-show, and has the dubious distinction of making the final seasons of GoT look like Shakespeare in retrospect.
    I'm afraid if you haven't read the source material, then this show is utterly baffling.
    I spent most of ep6 without the faintest idea who I was watching anymore, so badly handled was the massive time jump.
    It's almost like when they pitched the show, they had a treatment...but then just filmed the treatment rather than developing it into a shooting script. It's just sketches of events and characters with no meat to any of it.
    Terrible stuff.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I_R wrote:
    In contrast, who has what dragon and why is mainly happening off screen.
    Whole thing reeks of being a Covid production to me. Endless scenes of a couple of people in a room droning on and on about the same guff every week, while anything interesting in the timeline happens off-screen.
  • ...and a ten year time jump where half the cast has been replaced by new actors, while the other half hasn't aged a day? Jesus wept.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It definitely feels like a lot is missing. But then we get something that should be a pivotal scene like Daemon's wife and I'm like, am I supposed to give a fuck that this just happened? To a character I've seen in about three scenes? Does Daemon even give a fuck? I've barely seen them interact, and when I did he seemed pretty dismissive about her. Just a weird show
  • It reminds me of those history documentaries where a historian will walk around an abbey talking for a bit then it will cut to a dramatization of events.
    Its like that but they removed the historian explaining everything and upped the budget on the drama from am-dram to $20mil per episode.
  • It definitely feels like a lot is missing. But then we get something that should be a pivotal scene like Daemon's wife and I'm like, am I supposed to give a fuck that this just happened? To a character I've seen in about three scenes? Does Daemon even give a fuck? I've barely seen them interact, and when I did he seemed pretty dismissive about her. Just a weird show

Exactly my feeling on that scene.
    Like sure, dramatic and that but why should I give a fuck.
  • Yup. They've made it impossible to get invested in any of the characters.
    I don't know who most of them are, and they might not even be in it again next week.
    Terrible writing.
  • and if they are in it next week their motivations and character may well have fully shifted as happens with people over years.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The blame probably lies with the way the book is written. But they should have seen it as an issue before filming it?
  • It feels to me like trying to watch a series composed by compiling a random episode from each season of GoT, which naturally just leaves you wondering what the fuck is going on?
  • I assume the book has facts about eg Daemon's wife. So that's what you get. The major historical facts about her presented to you in three or four scenes. Job done. It's a very weird way of telling a story. All the recasts have led to them turning the clan-coding by haircut up to 11.

I'm not sure what's gone on with the Princess's kids. Her and Sea Snake Boy were supposed to be having kids before fucking other people. But now she's had them with someone else? If it wasn't working, get another Sea Snake in to make it happen surely? These are supposed to be the kids inheriting the crown but they've got completely wrong haircuts. Why were they so blatant about it? And it's only a problem when she has the third one. Then it all kicks off.   

I quite liked that Hand bloke that was hardly in it and is now dead. Although I didn't know he was dead at first because the way it was shot seemed to suggest he wasn't burning to death and was trying to save his son that was.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Three blokes with their tongue cut out were able to slink into Harrenhall and burn the place down. Weird how you can just find master assassins in the dungeon like that
  • It's watchable though. Early Thrones didn't have a load of battles and big scenes. That was often just people in a room. Although it did have memorable locations, surprising events and twists, well-drawn characters with depth, variety and personality, and a gripping storyline that made sense with one thing following on from another. And when they did have action scenes, they were interesting, tense and unpredictable. Apart from that, they're identical.
  • The Battle of the Bastards is one of the most exhilarating war scenes put to film but I watched GoT for Tyrion's wit, because Cersei's self defeating ruthlessness, for John Snow's internal conflict between the sense of duty instilled within him by his father vs love from a woman and sense of belonging that he missed as the bastard of Winterfell.
    None of that here at all. Admittedly some of that took a few seasons to fully mature but that wont happen here because of the leaps in time. At the current rate they will all be dead by S3.
  • This week's episode was a new low for me. Didn't have the faintest idea what was going on. The sound mix was abysmal and I couldn't hear much of the dialogue, and half of it seemed to have been shot with the worst use of day-for-night that I've seen in decades.
  • Yeah pretty much the first half of the episode was unwatchable. Just terrible.
    Why haven't they learnt?

In terms of plot the second half was better. It felt like we were finally getting somewhere. Its a bizarre show that jumps years between episodes yet still takes forever for anything to happen. I have a terrible feeling King Dad will still be alive until ep9 (GoT generally had a big moment in the penultimate episode) and this whole season will be setup for S2.

The knife Queeny cut daughter with was the catspaw knife from GoT which just made me groan. Morons will no doubt think it is brilliant, incredible writing to bring back a knife. " Why Knife is the most important character in Westeros" article coming to Kotaku later.
  • Omg what the hell was up with the lighting and vignette framing?! There was one cool shot of young blonde prince running over the beach. That was it. The rest was a shadowy mess. Don't care if it's symbolism, if I can't see what you're showing me, I'll lose interest.

Over-dramatic emotive music when Daemon and Rhaenyra finally bang, but we've barely seem them together in the last decade (and not with these actors) so feels unearned.

I enjoy the scheming and the messy family politics, but I really get the sense that this could have been adapted better with flashbacks rather than such huge skips and bitty storytelling. I know that's how the books are, but they're two very different media and adaptation is required.

I am taken out every time I see a GoT reference. The biggest one that I have tried to get over but have been unable to is the opening credits. I'm not sure if they were being lazy or thought they were being clever to capitalise on GoT fan service. It's just a reminder that this isn't GoT. The show would have been better off forging its own identity, servicing the actual characters and stonily refusing to parrot phrases and scenes from Thrones.

Still a decent watch for the most part, but it's very flawed and feels incomplete.
  • What I could see of those dark scenes looked crap.
    As G says it was definite night as day which is normally the reserve of low budget dross not £20mil per ep dross.
    The dragon riding is the worst though, it still looks like hot garbage and for me that is why they darkened this whole section so heavily, to mask just how shit it looks.
  • Honestly think Atreyu riding Falkor in Never Ending Story looked better.
  • Mixed bag again for me. Watched the pirate on my monitor, so it was all visible enough. If anything it was bit obviously daylight for me. The only shot that was difficult to see for me was Aemond walking up to the dragon and I couldn't work out what I was seeing because of the size. I was pretty impressed with all that.

Kids fight was actually good, the dramatic aftermath was a bit of a mess again for me and that murder at the end was another very bad one. This show might have the worst run of murders I've ever seen. All of them in the book are pretty vague about what actually happens and the filling in the blanks really hasn't worked.

Because I've read the book, it's all easy enough to follow and good fun. It's obviously doing well, but it's pretty much a long series of spectacularly violent incidents and some good acting. The pacing really hasn't worked, not much happened in the early episodes, then they're missing stuff out later on. No Laena getting the dragon even though they set it up is a head scratcher.
  • Viserys being by far the most sympathetic character, but ultimately the most at fault is actually a nice touch.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's all a bit like a fantasy Downton Abbey to me. Dull.
    The only thing I'm really enjoying is Paddy Considine's portrayal of the king.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Honestly think Atreyu riding Falkor in Never Ending Story looked better.
    That was what immediately sprang to my mind too.
  • At least you could see it
  • This continues to veer between quite good and total crap.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Got round to it tonight. Piss poor. And yeah, hard to make stuff out in the fake darkness
  • Think there's another major time jump again next week, just to add even more confusion about who the fuck is actually on screen at any given time.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Christ. Does the guy that's just left come back?

This is not how you should tell a story or make a tv show

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!