Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sauron was a corrupted elf. Melkor formerly an Ainur - kind of like a sub God - became Morgoth who corrupted them and took on Sauron as a lieutenant.

So it's either that elf leader of the orcs or some other elf we have not yet seen.

I'm pretty sure Hallbrand will become one of the nine.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Sauron is not an elf. He’s a maiar, like the five wizards and even the balrog. Maiar are angelic beings of lesser power than the Valar.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The renaming thing didn't make sense because they hadn't been captioning location changes in the first place. It might have worked better if they'd transitioned to that map they used in a few episodes but even then it would have been much better if he'd said the name alongside.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • But also Mordor kinda came out of nowhere didnt? Like I didnt miss it being a translated pgrase or something?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I was fine with the Mordor reveal. Even fine with the clunky caption, it's not for the seasoned Tolkien nerd but for folks who are experiencing Middle Earth for the very first time through this show. Deffo could have been handled better though
  • Yeah I thought the screen caption was a bit silly but I liked the reveal of what the tunnels were for. I didn't see that coming.
    I think the caption could have worked better if it hadn't been so long since they last used one. I'd forgotten they'd been using those headings to introduce each place by then
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Sauron is not an elf. He’s a maiar, like the five wizards and even the balrog. Maiar are angelic beings of lesser power than the Valar.

Oh.

:)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Well that’s season one all finished up. Had to watch it early as I was worried about bumping into spoilers before this evening. It’s a good final episode.
    Get schwifty.
  • I’m out this evening so if it’s a quiet morning for work, I’ll watch it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah that final episode was very, very good. Great closing credits song too.

They’ve totally trampled all over the source material mind haven’t they.
    GT: Knight640
  • That was great, can't wait for season 2.
  • Knight wrote:
    Yeah that final episode was very, very good. Great closing credits song too.

They’ve totally trampled all over the source material mind haven’t they.

How so?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The timeline compression is probably the biggest thing, as it forces so many changes.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This is supposed go be thousands of years before The Hobbit and LotR, isn't it? The Silmarillion is sitting on my bookshelf unread...must get on with it. :)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I really liked the final episode.

Ruinous spoilers for the finale:
    Spoiler:
  • On the stranger
    Spoiler:
  • I think the whole series was pretty average. Some nice scenes, but not a lot to care about overall. Above Wheel of Time in the modern fantasy league but well below Game of Thrones.

Best bit for me was the design of Galadriel’s armour. Proper Joan of Arc / Crusader knight stuff.
  • The reveals were not surprising at all, the writing was atrocious, some of acting horrific, but I thoroughly enjoyed it all. I'm right on board for series two. Yup really liked that end song also.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Spoiler:
    @Raizel will know. :)

That end song was technically brilliant - sounds like a really difficult song to pull off. Was done with aplomb.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    You should probably spoiler some of that first paragraph, Davy.

Regarding the wizards:
    Spoiler:
    Get schwifty.
  • Just started final episode.
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cheers @Raizel.!
  • This has really taken liberties, but that’s ok. Following the books and lore exactly would be challenging to say the least.
  • Yeah some of the writing really is bad. “I’m good” made me do a double take and I’m not usually the most observant about this sort of thing.

I think there’s some magic here though, some hard to define, LOTR ‘feel’ that they get mostly right. Although maybe that’s just how good it looks.
    GT: Knight640
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    I think there’s some magic here though, some hard to define, LOTR ‘feel’ that they get mostly right.

Yeah, I get this. I think the show's a little bit wonky - for me personally there are too many storylines and characters and a lot of the series has felt like plate-spinning contrivance rather than storylines that have organically been spun from life-like characters. But the show could have been really cynical and awful and actually it feels like they've genuinely tried to make something nice with their hearts in the right place.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I thought it was pretty great throughout. Enjoyed it a lot. Roll on series 2.

I'm confused by this stranger chat
    Spoiler:

I've forgotten so much of the lore (not that I ever read much beyond the trilogy itself), so abuse of it has probably passed me by, which is likely a good thing. Really want my kids to let me read it to them. Maybe I should try some of the other books too...
  • Re the Stranger
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    By why
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!