Most Wanted - What old guff would you like to see on PSN/XBLA
  • Tempy wrote:
    There will always be different games but the breadth of titles this gen has diminished from the PS2 era even, let alone the PS1 where you could have a game like Bushido Blade on your shelf next to Colony Wars, Klonoa, Music 2000, Parappa the Rapper, Gran Turismo, FFVII, G-Police, Kula World, Team Buddies, Alundra, Wipeout and Ape Escape. Money and graphical standards means the safe route is preferable and understandable but that doesn't mean I have to be ok with it.

I know I'm fast become the sole defender of this generation of gaming on the forum, but Tempy, you are being far too dour.  A token five minutes with Google plus a bit of thinking about games I'd played, and I came up with this: 

Colony Wars, a space-based shooter with branching outcomes.  Go play Project Sylpheed!

Klonoa, a 2.5D platformer I never got on with.  You can play Rocket Knight Adventures on XBL, or for a new take on that sort of style, how about Trine?  Or Super Mario 3D Land or SMG, if you want to see where the platformer's got to?  What about Fez?

Music 2000; weird music creation thing.  How about Rock Band 3?  A rhythm action game that crosses into semi-proper teaching, allowing you to play with the pro instruments and actually learn how to play? 

Parappa the Rapper; a rhythm action game that I refuse to believe is more or less bizarre than Ouendan.  Ouendan helpfully is 1000 times better at being a game, too.

Gran Turismo.  Sure, it was the progenitor, but you'd be mad to say you'd rather have that around than Forza, with NFS:HP, Burnout Paradise and TDU2 providing totally unique and driving experiences.

FFVII can be replaced by any one of a hundred FF/Tales/Secrets/Zelda/WoW games, including MMO options.

G-Police is the hardest to provide a direct comparator for, but that's probably because the basic mechanics, while fun, are so simple you wouldn't get them in a game today without a lot more added to it.  So for the sake of using downloadable stuff as an example, I'll point out that G-Police is on the PSN store so you can still play niche titles like this without digging out an old console.

I haven't played some of the other ones you mention so it's not easy to compare them, but add those to original ideas like Left 4 Dead, Deadly Premonition, Minecraft, From Dust, Plants vs Zombies, Darwinia, Dead Rising....

My point being that you're suffering severely from rose-tinted glasses syndrome here, and while the diversification and mainstreaming of the hobby may have led to huge sales for the annual CoD/FIFA/Maddens, there's still more than enough variation out there!  Each of the examples I gave is a demonstration of how the ideas spawned in the PS1 era have grown and developed, and that's before we look into the more esoteric stuff available now.  Each of those PS1 era games was a development of stuff that came before so I don't think this generation has that much to prove.  Haven't even looked at the more esoteric stuff that'll come along as Kinect and Move mature; Johann Sebastian Joust?  The next iteration of something like Child of Eden?

Every generation has its overused genre.  We do indeed have a lot of 1st/3rd person shooters, but the way you dismiss them all makes me think you haven't really given them much time!  There's still a lot of variation inherent in the different games, and for every identikit CoD clone you'll have something like Tribes, or an RPG angle like Deus Ex, or a survival horror like Siren, MMO-alike co-op Borderlands, free-running open world stuff in Assassin's Creed, action survival horror like Dead Space, plus different styles like Condemned, Second Sight, Mirror's Edge, MGS, Prey, Prototype, Portal, Dark Souls.... Sure, all "men with guns 1st/3rd person games," but they're all so stylistically and thematically different that you simply can't complain.  The PS1 was equally as clogged for 3rd person survival horror Resident Evil/Parasite Eve clones, and shit 3D platformers like Crash Bandicoot.

I think originality is alive and well in this generation and I'd rather have access to these games than still be jammed in a jaggie-strewn pre-online pre-downloads PS1 world, playing Parasite Eve 2 and wondering if it'd get any better.  I can ignore a million teenagers playing CoD together as long as I can still play Deus Ex, Minecraft and Assassin's Creed.
  • I don't want to replay old titles on PSN or such and when I talk of this 'gen' I mean the home consoles. Handhelds don't do it for me. There are plenty of original titles out there too, and I've played a vast majority of them too, in fact i'd say nearly all of the games you've mentioned, I have played, and enjoyed.

But I still don't think it feel this gen has the spark of creativity that the past did, and I think its a graphical holdup, everything is expected to look 'real' and often ends up being just a bit dull. I have no idea why you feel the need to try and convince me that i'm not enjoying something I am, but I also have my dislikes too. Banging on about what I do like is done in the threads of the stuff that I do like. It probably is rose tinted specs, and a lot of it is just my changing tastes too, but I don't feel as excited by much of what has come out this gen compared to the past, probably because I'm older and know more.

I know there is diversity out there, but one Project Slypheed isn't enough. My on the shelf analogy included games that I didn't even like. I can't stand clinical racing games like Gran Turismo, but it was there next to Rollcage and Wipeout. I just look at my shelf now and see a lot of games that although I enjoyed, are the same idea repeated over and over and more importantly safe. There is an inherent 'safeness' to this gen due to the cash. Rose tinted specs, dourness, whatever. I enjoyed this gen, but nowhere near as much as the PS2 era. I'm not even sure why I mentioned all those PS1 titles, just off the back of Andy's post really. I had more fun with the PS2/Gamecube bit. 

Anyway, I'm late to play L4D2 now.

The only game I'll really pick on is RB3 as I've gone on record many times to say that I patently do not care for a game that teaches me music because I just don't see the point, at all. Every system and electronic teacher i've come across has paled compared to having another human show me stuff. Also a better analogue to music would surely have been the Guitar Hero that let you write tracks?

I think my enthusiasm is just rapidly failing due to it being the tail end of this gen. For some reason I can more clearly remember the demo of G-Police than most of Resistance 1/2, Killzone, Gears 1 and 2, CoD4, GRAW and I played those all for a lot longer.

I do not know why this is, but it is.
  • I think you're just sitting in the same trap as a lot of us.  Like you, I can remember replaying the demos of the original GTA on a mate's PC, and Syphon Filter on a coverdisc for hours and hours and hours before excitedly getting the games in question.  I remember being blown away when Homeworld came out, but I think all these experiences are "treasured" above some because they happened at a carefree end-of-school time in life where I had lots of time to enjoy videogames.

I can't see how you can look at some of the titles mentioned though and say "there's no creativity now, it's all just 'man with floating gun' games."  Even the aforementioned shooters have more variation in them now than they ever did during the PS1 era.  

Sure, some big-budget games have some inbuilt "safeness" to ensure they don't bankrupt their publishers, but for every game like that you have about 10 like Fez, or Deadly Premonition.  There's more diversity now than I know what to do with.
  • There might be creativity, but it doesn't mean I have to like it, right?
  • No, you don't.  But your argument can't be "there's no creativity this gen" when there is.
  • Ok, not enough creativity that I like. Too much money spent on incrementally improving FPS games.
  • These fucks aren't making enough stuff I like. What a bunch of dicks.
  • .... while simultaneously paying for new derivatives of the FPS, displaying a degree of of creativity that identikit PS1 nonsense could only dream of! ;)
  • Without wishing to be condescending, Tempy, I suspect that what's actually happened in your case is that, as you yourself concede, you've got a bit older.  Call it Christmas Day syndrome if that helps - remember when you used to get excited about that six months before it happened?  Everyone reaches a time when games aren't as "magical" as they were when you were younger.
  • That is probably the case, yes. I suspect Elm keeps up his enthusiasm as flying jets for a living has probably caused some kind of arrested development to kick in.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Playing Psychonauts has made me realised that a fairly dull platformer is behind the quirkiness.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Half-Life is the story of a man who never realises that he's been fired.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Without wishing to be condescending, Tempy, I suspect that what's actually happened in your case is that, as you yourself concede, you've got a bit older.  Call it Christmas Day syndrome if that helps - remember when you used to get excited about that six months before it happened?  Everyone reaches a time when games aren't as "magical" as they were when you were younger.

This is exactly what I thought until a few years ago when I played Ico for the first time. I missed it the first time round and although I'd been meaning to play it for ages I just never got round to it. I didn't actually get it as a present but weirdly I did play it at Christmas and the whole experience was magical. It was exactly like my childhood Ocarina of Time Christmas and it really hammered it home that games can still sweep you away like that if they're good enough.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • It's about getting old to some degree, and there's always been plenty of cloning and cashing-in in games, but it's also pretty logical that budgets going up leads to less risk. On the upper end of things (excluding XBLA, PSN etc), publishers don't produce games they produce franchises, and they're focus tested to all buggery. To not appreciate that you have to be seeing the present through rose tinted spectacles.
  • Mouldywarp wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Without wishing to be condescending, Tempy, I suspect that what's actually happened in your case is that, as you yourself concede, you've got a bit older.  Call it Christmas Day syndrome if that helps - remember when you used to get excited about that six months before it happened?  Everyone reaches a time when games aren't as "magical" as they were when you were younger.
    This is exactly what I thought until a few years ago when I played Ico for the first time. I missed it the first time round and although I'd been meaning to play it for ages I just never got round to it. I didn't actually get it as a present but weirdly I did play it at Christmas and the whole experience was magical. It was exactly like my childhood Ocarina of Time Christmas and it really hammered it home that games can still sweep you away like that if they're good enough.

And yet interestingly I gave away my copy of that emo fag game to Cinty, on account of it being emoy and faggy and not at all enjoyable.
  • Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • I was going to say Tombi
    250px-Tombi!_PAL.png

Then I saw this:

http://www.theplayer.ie/2012/05/tombi-coming-playstation-3-summer/

But I don't have a PS3
  • Okami, YESSSS!!! One of my favourite games!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Tombi coming to PS3? That should lower the eBay prices for the original then.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Okami, YESSSS!!! One of my favourite games!

I owned it on PS2 and Wii, but never got around to playing it on either. Looking forward to playing this.

Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Tombi coming to PS3? That should lower the eBay prices for the original then.

I had the original and loved it but sold it for peanuts at trade in not knowing how rare it was.
  • Capcom vs SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001

Just add an online mode with SFxTs netcode and search parameters that breaks Europe up into regions and lets you choose multiple regions. Sick of being limited to Ireland for same region and having to wade through everyone in the world for any.
  • I have Tombi on the PS1! Should I sell it now and then buy it on PSN?
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Sell it to me for a good price!

I.e. cheap.
  • Nice chopper. It's one of my fab sf games
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!