Next Gen Discussion: The Badger Slayer
  • They knew they had a good game, but if it didn't get good uptake and really good word of mouth for some reason, it'd be kinda hard for them to look at each download and not think "hmmm, on PC that would be selling for £15". Sony and MS pay for each download, but not a lot.

Credit to them that the DLC (as announced so far) is entirely cosmetic, to keep the player-base together. i'll probably go for a bunch of hats, what with feeling like I've got the game "for free" already.
  • I have seemingly not been in this thread since page 5. Is there anything i've missed?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    I have seemingly not been in this thread since page 5. Is there anything i've missed?

The slaying of badgers.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    They better not fuck with the formula, it's perfect as is. Can't say that about too many games. If you start adding weapons, power ups and all that guff you'll only disrupt the excellently balanced gameplay.
  • mk64 wrote:
    I have seemingly not been in this thread since page 5. Is there anything i've missed?

This was on page one so not really;
    Unfortunately the end of this generation is notable for the stagnation in creativity unlike other generations where some of the most creative games have arrived late on. A new generation may or may not fix this but at least it will be pretty looking.

Page one is still the highlight.
  • Is that how it works on PS+? You get paid per download and not a set fee based on they now how many members there are? What if you add it to your basket but don't download it?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Is that how it works on PS+? You get paid per download and not a set fee based on they now how many members there are? What if you add it to your basket but don't download it?
    I think it depends on a per game contract basis - from what little I've heard, some get paid a bit, some get nothing at all beyond the extra publicity and a huge influx into the player base, but it's all under NDA so no devs ever actually say exactly how much they get, but it for sure isn't the normal RRP cut.
    I don't know how the back end works, but I'd presume it's based on completing the checkout with the £0.00 priced item - because at that point you then "own"(ish) the game and can download it at whatever point you want. (plus it'd keep the payment backend as close to the normal automated payment route as possible).
  • So does your XBL gold membership transfer over to Bone with your profile then?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    So does your XBL gold membership transfer over to Bone with your profile then?

Yeh. And with the improved comms quality on the bone people might even be able to hear you this gen.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Hello?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • djchump wrote:
    Innovation like Kinect?

I think it's become clear that gamers just want games, preferably on the most powerful (while still affordable, NeoGeo I'm looking at you) hardware. "Innovative" hardware is bunk if it doesn't result in good games.

They don't even have to be good games. Just the correct sticker on it indicating some past Connection.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    The slaying of badgers.

You've barely been in this thread since you were gifted an Xbone...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't have the time. Too busy enjoying my Bone.
  • yeah, but you have to say that now...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I lied...

http://thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/854616#Comment_854616

So...

Why the fuck would anyone care about which console is technically better, when streaming effectively makes the idea of the traditional games console obsolete?
  • Much like the cloud.
    The Forum Herald™
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Much like the cloud.

It's the same thing.

Technically, Microsoft can offer an even better service on the Xbone.
    But who wants to develop for that piece of shit? :D
  • But less cloudy
    The Forum Herald™
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    On the contrary it's more cloudy as it's capable of federated / heterogeneous cloudification.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Surely nimbus cumulus is where its at?
    SFV - reddave360
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    So apparently... 

- Tittyfall is far better now than it was at launch.
    - Splatoon's best levels have also appeared after the game's release.
    - SFV is being built as a service, ffs.
    - And Crackdown... Well... That shit won't even work properly without an online connection.
    - Oh... And let's not even bother discussing Density...

Lets forget about the recent past, fanboyism, and snake charming, and instead think about the time when our hopes and desires were satisfied by a mere plastic cartridge...

And the present, in which a beta launch attracts more attention than an AAA release (when did that Zelda three swords thingy come out again?)...

Metal Gear 5 might be the watershed... 

That said, I'm sure the Japanese won't relinquish the product model so easily, given that Persona 5 and Final Fantasy XXIVVX (or what ever the fuck) will surely drop with 50hrs plus content...
  • I'm with you man. Just give me a game that I can get my teeth into straight away and be done with after an amazing 10, 20, 30 or whatever hours.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • WHAT CUNT FUCKING WANTS SOME THEN.
  • Good job Sony aren't bothered about the cloud.
    The Forum Herald™
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Good job Sony aren't bothered about the cloud.

Might be a bad decision though.

Though I hate the fucking term, the 'cloud's' been with us since Steam, and after it gained traction with Half Life 2, was never going anywhere.

As it's a given, repurposing it to render and calculate stuff is not a bad idea, because the gamer as a graphics hoo'er has been a constant since the very start.

So I may have to accept that my tastes are anachronistic. 

That said, no matter what kind of connection or system you have, a 20GB update is still fucking annoying. Most especially when it's behind a paywall...
  • Not sure where to put this so this seems as good a place as any but I would just like to say a big thanks to you all for entertaining me over the past ten years (I think). However all good things come to an end and I find myself drifting to these pages more out of habit than anything else and I think its time I pulled the plug - at least for a while. 

Amazingly I think the problem has been the next-current gen. Its not bad, but nothing in it has grabbed me. All this amazing tech and games is leaving me cold and it means when I click on the B&B I no longer see a range of topics that engage me. Thats not to take away from the generally wonderful collection of badgers here, I genuinely think this has been, and still is one of the few civilized and mature (to a point) forums out there. There are disagreements for sure but there seems to be so much more goodwill and comaraderie here that its always a welcoming forum. Bar this thread of course (and to be fair, I never understood why so many got pissed off in this thread and threw their toys out of the pram. Most of the offending comments seem so tame compared to other forums I've seen)

Anyway, enough waffle. Hope this place continues for many years to come as it's pretty damn good. I wish I could have engaged with you lot more but I have only myself to blame on that line.

Goodnight America, wherever you are :)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Get a Dreamcast. Still has new games coming out on it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Get a WiiU old bean and rekindle the love.
  • Take a break Dave if you feel you need it. You are always welcome back any time.
    Best of luck in life and I'm sure we will all meet again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!