Let's make a gaming PC
  • Ah it's no bother, I enjoy this stuff.

I didn't know/forgot that you are using a laptop, that will definitely limit the kind of frames you can push to that lovely new monitor. Yeah the 9400 wouldn't be much of an upgrade, higher clock speeds but you lose a couple of threads over the 7700 HQ. A 6 core / 12 thread or 8/16 chip would make more sense for a new machine.

You don't have to go all the way to a €1600 build, you could split the difference between that and the dell and go for €1200ish and great a great machine, or even cheaper and it would still kick ass. When you are ready to spend some funds let me know the budget and we can have a look at what you can get.

I would probably aim for a Ryzen 3600 build, and a 2060 - 2070 Super, or 5700 / XT for the GPU.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    This is the build you had put together for me earlier last year:https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/user/Speedhaak/saved/RvYtpg

One I was tinkering with myself: https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/user/Speedhaak/saved/Cv3Czy
  • It's saying the parts lists are private. I think because they are saved to your login or summat.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Haak's been tinkering with his private parts, pass it on.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I'm resisting making a private parts joke.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Tinkered!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hair has discovered some sort of decorum, pass it on.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Haak's been tinkering with his private parts, pass it on.

I have unleashed my privates for inspection!

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Rum you say?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Oh FFS.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    It's saying the parts lists are private. I think because they are saved to your login or summat.

I've made them public now.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Public, Hair.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    This is the build you had put together for me earlier last year:https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/user/Speedhaak/saved/RvYtpg One I was tinkering with myself: https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/user/Speedhaak/saved/Cv3Czy

Just having a look now, seeing what can be done with that budget. I'm using the Ireland version of PCPartpicker, I'm not sure how shipping and ordering works over there, are you able to order from the usual UK PC parts sites or no? The price data and I guess availability of some bits isn't so great on the .ie site.
  • What kind of work do you do on PC? Any 3D stuff?

Also is a small ish form factor PC important? I noticed you went for a micro-ATX mobo but a full size case in that budget list.
  • Aight here's my take on a similar build -

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€234.95 @ Komplett)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€114.94 @ Komplett)
    Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€85.86 @ Custompc)
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€198.95 @ Komplett)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card  (€338.95 @ Komplett)
    Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€99.94 @ Komplett)
    Power Supply: Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (€79.94 @ Komplett)
    Total: €1153.53
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-13 21:53 GMT+0000

You're quite limited on stuff to choose from in some areas unfortunately, I guess there's fewer retailers in Ireland. I tried to match the budget of yours, you can probably shuffle things around depending on priorities.

The Asrock mobo you picked has no capability to update the BIOS without a CPU installed, this means that unless it's a recently manufactured board and has been updated at the factory it probably won't support the 3600, meaning you would either have to have a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen chip to put in temporarily to get it updated or it will just be a brick with the 3600. The MSI board is a 'MAX' version meaning they've preupdated the BIOS so you know it will work with the latest chips, and it has a button to allow a BIOS update with just a USB stick plugged in. Some other boards have a similar feature, important to look out for if you are putting a 3000 series CPU into a B350/B450/X370/X470 board.

Either the Corsair or the G.Skill RAM will be fine, I think the Corsair stuff has a very slightly better timing.

I would go for an NVME drive as the main, just because the next consoles will be using similar tech, and I'm pretty sure we'll start to see games that really make use of fast storage for streaming in content. Also it's crazy fast for booting up, loading programs, and good for creative projects with heavy file sizes such as video editing. You can go for either 500GB or 1TB, as a boot drive it's not the sort of thing you'll be able to easily upgrade so I picked 1TB for you, a nice thing to have. I certainly wish I had more than 500GB on my boot drive.

The 1660 Ti seems reasonable for a mid-budget build, not that far behind the 2060.

The Corsair 275R case you chose is alright, but has poor airflow due to it's bad front panel design. The Fractal Meshify for comparison has great airflow and should keep GPU and CPU fans running slow. There's some other good choices too, depends on what you want.

The Masterwatt PSU is a better choice as it has a zero fan mode, so at idle or low loads the fan on it won't spin. Very nice for a quiet system. I would have picked an EVGA PSU but PCPartpicker didn't have any listed..
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    are you able to order from the usual UK PC parts sites or no? The price data and I guess availability of some bits isn't so great on the .ie site.

Yeah I am but when you factor in conversion rates and tax is just ends up inflating the price. 
    What kind of work do you do on PC? Any 3D stuff?

Also is a small ish form factor PC important? I noticed you went for a micro-ATX mobo but a full size case in that budget list.

Web development with some light image editing so I really don't need a monstrous CPU.
    The Asrock mobo you picked has no capability to update the BIOS without a CPU installed, this means that unless it's a recently manufactured board and has been updated at the factory it probably won't support the 3600, meaning you would either have to have a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen chip to put in temporarily to get it updated or it will just be a brick with the 3600. The MSI board is a 'MAX' version meaning they've preupdated the BIOS so you know it will work with the latest chips, and it has a button to allow a BIOS update with just a USB stick plugged in. Some other boards have a similar feature, important to look out for if you are putting a 3000 series CPU into a B350/B450/X370/X470 board.

Yeah I think I was looking at that MSI board on a hardware unlocked video but again, I wasn't really educated on why I would be using it, I am now though. Thanks for clarifying the above.
    I would go for an NVME drive as the main, just because the next consoles will be using similar tech, and I'm pretty sure we'll start to see games that really make use of fast storage for streaming in content. Also it's crazy fast for booting up, loading programs, and good for creative projects with heavy file sizes such as video editing. You can go for either 500GB or 1TB, as a boot drive it's not the sort of thing you'll be able to easily upgrade so I picked 1TB for you, a nice thing to have. I certainly wish I had more than 500GB on my boot drive.

The 1660 Ti seems reasonable for a mid-budget build, not that far behind the 2060.

Yeah I was looking at the NVME drives but some content creators don't recommend them just yet. Kinda hard to get reliable info online as so many varying opinions but I like what you're saying about somewhat future proofing while enjoying faster boot and program load times.

As for the 1660ti, after watching a lot of videos it seems like a nice little middle ground. Although the AMD RX 5700 XT also looks like a beast of a card but it goes for around €550 here.
    The Corsair 275R case you chose is alright, but has poor airflow due to it's bad front panel design. The Fractal Meshify for comparison has great airflow and should keep GPU and CPU fans running slow. There's some other good choices too, depends on what you want.

Hmm, reason I picked this was from watching the following video:

I see your point though, always good to have different takes on functionality.

Thanks for all your feedback. One of these days I will pull the trigger :)
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Yeah I was looking at the NVME drives but some content creators don't recommend them just yet.

Dunno why this would be. I mean it's generally not necessary at all unless you are scrubbing through 4k footage or something, but it can really help speed some things up. The difference between NVME and SATA SSD is much less noticeable than between a HDD and a SATA boot drive, it does make everything feel just a bit smoother and nicer though. I noticed much reduced stuttering with Kingdom Come installed on my NVME compared to a SATA drive, most games aren't like that now but it's only a matter of time before things get really demanding.

He didn't really pick that case in that video, he was given it by Corsair and was like 'yeah alright'. It's an ok case really, but the front panel design is just straight up terrible for airflow, things have started to change recently but a lot of case manufactures persist in having a solid front panel right up against the front fan mounts, with tiny little slits on the sides or top and bottom for air to squeeze through. The efficiency and effectiveness of fans in that situation is much degraded.

Ideally you want at least an inch between the fan and a solid surface such as a front panel, with enough openings on the sides to allow air to flow. Or just a mesh front like the Meshify or other cases. If you look at some older cases by Fractal like the Define or R series you can see they have a decent amount of side venting and distance between fan and panel. My Corsair 600Q is a great example of ideal solid front panel design actually, there's a good inch and a bit of space with a really minimal side grille. Cools very well and is very quiet.
  • Anyone got a 15 inch Surface Book 2 with the nVidia GPU. They have reviewed well, down in price because they are old. Good for work and play?
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Anyone got a 15 inch Surface Book 2 with the nVidia GPU. They have reviewed well, down in price because they are old. Good for work and play?

Battery drain may be an issue, obviously, and I know the Pros suffered from pretty heavy throttling when things got hot and heavy. However, the Book 2 (I assume the Nvidia GPU you are referring to is the 1060) is decent. You're not gonna run the latest and greatest at super high spec, but you'll get decent performance (generally 30-60fps) on many games running at high spec or dropped down to medium, if needs be. 

I haven't used them a huge amount (I bought the missus the newest Pro as she only uses them for work and chilling, not gaming) but they're surprisingly competent. The Book I used (may have been the 2) did pretty well on the Final Fantasy XIV benchmark tool I ran - high resolution at 60FPS in most places, 30 in crowded scenes.
  • The disclaimer here is that you'll get more bang for buck with something dedicated to gaming. As a portable work machine, though, the Surface line is incredible. Best build quality and finish I've ever seen on any type of laptops. They're stunning. 

I originally wanted the missus to buy a Surface Pro but she insisted on a Macbook Air. She bought it, hated it...gave it to me, and then made me buy her a Surface.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Yeah I was looking at the NVME drives but some content creators don't recommend them just yet.
    Dunno why this would be. I mean it's generally not necessary at all unless you are scrubbing through 4k footage or something, but it can really help speed some things up. The difference between NVME and SATA SSD is much less noticeable than between a HDD and a SATA boot drive, it does make everything feel just a bit smoother and nicer though. I noticed much reduced stuttering with Kingdom Come installed on my NVME compared to a SATA drive, most games aren't like that now but it's only a matter of time before things get really demanding. He didn't really pick that case in that video, he was given it by Corsair and was like 'yeah alright'. It's an ok case really, but the front panel design is just straight up terrible for airflow, things have started to change recently but a lot of case manufactures persist in having a solid front panel right up against the front fan mounts, with tiny little slits on the sides or top and bottom for air to squeeze through. The efficiency and effectiveness of fans in that situation is much degraded. Ideally you want at least an inch between the fan and a solid surface such as a front panel, with enough openings on the sides to allow air to flow. Or just a mesh front like the Meshify or other cases. If you look at some older cases by Fractal like the Define or R series you can see they have a decent amount of side venting and distance between fan and panel. My Corsair 600Q is a great example of ideal solid front panel design actually, there's a good inch and a bit of space with a really minimal side grille. Cools very well and is very quiet.

Is your knowledge self accumulated or do you work in the industry? Thanks for all the insight, I do like learning more about PC Builds / Components. I'll take your feedback and hopefully soon I can pull the trigger on some parts and begin my own build :)
  • Just from following this stuff a lot and watching/reading reviews and deep dives into various aspects of PC building. I should probably be trying to make money from it, maybe by writing a PC build help section somewhere. Pretty sure I could do a better job than most of them.

Yeah good luck with it, it's always a bit magic turning the thing on after putting it all together, "It works somehow!!".
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Akko 3068 turned up. Didn’t realise how solid a build it is. Tried Her Story and the clicky clacky keys really add to that 90’s immersion. Great little piece of kit. No backlighting but battery charge is supposed to last for ages and glow from the TV means I can clearly see the keys.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FINALLY!
    After a whack of a wait, new PC coming tomorrow. Apparently a free copy of MOHAN ICEBORNE too
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Well I've been told by a fellow country man to stay clear of Irish stores and go for Amazon DE. Just checked there Gurt and Komplett were looking for €235 + shipping for the CPU which can be got on Amazon DE for €194 inc shipping.

Again, research and discussion. Like with the monitor. It pays dividends to talk with people. That's a fairly large price difference. Imagine how many people get stung by not spending the time to research things.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So it's not Mohan sadly, but two of the following -

Borderlands 3
    Breakpoint
    AC Odyssey
    RDR2
    Outer Worlds
    DMC 5
    RE2
    Battlefield 1
    Far Cry 5
    Forza Horizon 4
    Gears 5

Given I have Gamepass Ultimate, there's no point in Outer Worlds, DMC, Horizon or Gears.

Thoughts on other two? I might give RDR2 a third shottie and see how pretty it looks I guess if it's free.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Hmm, possibly go for some high octane action to take advantage of your new rig? I'd imagine Battlefield would be a nice eye-candy romp!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, I guess if it's free, go for something that I can show off.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    RDR2 and Resi 2

Red Dead has more shinies than Battlefield 1, Shirley?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!