Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Any advice on monitors? Looking to upgrade form my 24" -- Was considering the below: 

--

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BBRLTRH/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

--

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2719dgf/apd/210-aqvp/monitors-monitor-accessories

I'm not really worried about competitive play I just want to try and somewhat future proof the purchase and get a decent 27"+ monitor. 4K would be nice, but I heard QHD is also acceptable. It would be more for PC play than Consoles.

I had a look but lost interest sharpish. I'm thinking about going for a monitor for the next gen, seems like you can get more bang for your buck.

There was a canny site that let you filter all the stuff you need to narrow your search, I'll see if I can find it.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Starting to keep an eye on PC stuff a bit more closely, as I think I will be doing an upgrade in the next 6-12 months
  • Same. I’m in a similar boat to subbax, but with a 4690k. Part of me is thinking I just get a new graphics card, mainly because I don’t want to waste my current build. Maybe I could repurpose it into a server or HTPC?
    Subbax wrote:
    I've got an i5-4670k, 2x4Gb ram, GTX 970 and I'm not sure on the motherboard. Can I just bang in a new gpu to run Witcher 3 on Ultra at 2.5K resolution and a solid 60 frames? I think I need a whole new box but I don't have that scratch laying about right now.

This gives you an idea of how the old i5 works for some modern games -

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    PC still not dispatched. I sad :(
  • Cancel it and reorder with the discount.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You're an actual scoundrel and I love it.
  • Order one for me they will make them get a wiggle on i’m sure
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    @Haak I completely misread your post but you've got me down the monitor rabbit hole again.

I'm thinking 60Hz will be fine for next gen stuff? How does free synch and Gsynch work on console shizzle? I just read that it depends on your video card so it must depend on what the consoles are using?

I'll probably save this for when the proper console specs are out and ask in the relevant thread at the time.
  • As far as I am aware FreeSync and G-sync require the hardware to be outputting the Sync control stuff, so unless the new gen consoles do that, it doesn’t have an effect. 60hz will be fine unless they decide to go 144hz, then just go with that cos more is better.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Cheers Tempo, I'll keep an eye out.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Any advice on monitors? Looking to upgrade form my 24" -- Was considering the below:  -- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BBRLTRH/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE -- https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2719dgf/apd/210-aqvp/monitors-monitor-accessories I'm not really worried about competitive play I just want to try and somewhat future proof the purchase and get a decent 27"+ monitor. 4K would be nice, but I heard QHD is also acceptable. It would be more for PC play than Consoles.

PCPartpicker can be exceedingly helpful once again.

I could not more strongly recommend getting a monitor with a higher refresh rate than just 60Hz, for dynamic media such as games it just makes so much sense, and is a night and day difference once you've experienced it. The next consoles, or the next Xbox at least will have support for 120Hz too, and I would expect many games to be able to utilise it based on the systems' specs.

Freesync/Freesync 2/Gsync  is also very important, it can eliminate judder related to variable frame rates in games, a really big deal. The next consoles should have support for Freesync or Freesync 2, it makes a huge amount of sense in the console space, all those times where a game can't quite hold 60 won't matter so much, as the monitor's Hz can match the ouput. You might want to do a little research into the differences between the standards too.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    So in reality it would be a waste of money to buy a monitor that is capped at 60hz this late into the generation? Again considering this is mainly for PC use as well. I got up this morning and had a few hours to myself with the intention of playing some games and I spent 4 hours researching monitors. My head is done in. Afraid to pull the trigger on anything due to so many varying opinions. 

From what I can understand 4k isn't the be all and end all. So in some cases quad-hd is perfectly fine for the next few years. HDR, well I dunno -- it looked stunning in Sea of Thieves but I'm not really willing to throw money at a monitor just for this feature set. 

That BenQ EW3270U 32 Inch 4K HDR Monitor came on the top of a lot of lists which is why I was considering it but it's capped at 60hz so I'm thinking, mmm - maybe not such a wise purchase? The Dell got decent reviews with the only real negative being it a TN panel and no HDR, everything else looks great though. 

I dunno, it's actually painful trying to buy stuff these days. You would be afraid of your life you'd buy something and it would result in a bad purchase.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Chillblast now doing 5% off d'oh.

What's 5% off infinity?
  • Yes, I've said it before but unfortunately monitor purchasing is the most complicated and difficult part about modern tech acquisition, the best you can do is learn a bit about the different technologies and terminologies, and read or watch as many reviews as you can find. It's particularly painful when you want to spend a bit more and get a really good one. There are so many odd factors, like there was a monitor review I saw recently that had the panel fitted upside down for reasons, this meant that subpixel rendering didn't work as it should and text was ever so slightly fuzzy... That kind of mental shit does your head in when researching something to buy.

If I could give better more solid advice I would, but I just don't have the time to keep track of this stuff, and there are just so many unknowns with it. There are some tech review outlets that do fantastic and detailed technical testing, Hardware Unboxed for example have started doing very in depth testing of some monitors, have a look at some of those videos to get an idea of what to look out for.

I would try and break down what you are really looking for in a monitor, your specific intended use case. 60Hz isn't a waste of money particularly, it's just that higher refresh rates offer a much nicer gaming and desktop experience for most people. Everyone has a different nervous system and different sensitivity to this stuff, for me after about 90-100Hz I can't tell that much difference, for others (particularly pro Quake players and the like) 240Hz is where it's at. I think that even when you can't exactly determine what frame rate something is at you can kind of feel when it's all running that much smoother at a subconscious level, really improves the immersion in my experience.

So if you like to play a lot of fast reflex based stuff, or competitive MP games, then a higher refresh rate will make things much easier and improve your results. If you play more laid back stuff then it's of less importance, though it's still always preferred if available.

TN vs IPS vs VA very roughly explained: TN panels have the fastest response, so good for twitch shooters and the like, but can have poor contrast, colours, and usually have bad viewing angles. IPS has good colours, decent(ish) contrast, slower response times, and usually great viewing angles. VA has the best contrast ratio, good colours, but slower response times and can be a bit smeary unless the monitor has a good overdrive setting.

I like my 1080P 144Hz VA monitor quite a bit, the colours are good, the contrast ratio is nice for darker or more cinematic content (much better than the IPS screen I had previously), and I've found the pixel response perfectly ok 90% of the time, the slight blur is a bit like a subtle motion blur effect, something I don't mind at all.

So as a general recommendation I would suggest a VA panel if you like darker or cinematic content, other panel types can have rather grey blacks which I find quite distracting and un-immersive. Different manufacturers have their own take on the various techs though, like Samsung has their Quantum Dot stuff which might be quite good. Worth looking into.

HDR stuff is a mess from my understanding, a number of different standards and varying qualities of implentation in games and display hardware. A good idea but will take some time for it to mature.

And some sort of adaptive sync is very highly recommended, if you're not sure about compatibility with your graphics card ask here and I can try to check, it's all becoming quite interoperable now though.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah I have read up on most of the terminologies and understand the tech, I just can't seem to settle on an 'idea' of what I want. The most concise factor so far is I want to go from 24" to at least 27" but I also want to make sure the monitor is good for a few years at least in terms of it's on-board tech. I watched this video recently where some great advice is given (so far as I can tell) and I was ready to perhaps purchase the Ben Q if only for it being capped at 60hz. But in reality is that such a huge deal? 

This is my current monitor which is actually a really nice monitor. I love the infinity edge design of the bezels which is why I was looking at Dell again for the potential upgrade. Kind of getting to that stage where I usually get with PC Gaming (still haven't bought that new PC I have been on about now for over a year) where I just get fed-up with all the research and variables and  end up buying nothing. 

Appreciate the advice above though, as usual. :)
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    @Haak I completely misread your post but you've got me down the monitor rabbit hole again.

Tell me about it, all consuming...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Blaaargh. Spoke to Chillblast today and my motherboard isn't in stock, which is why there's been a delay. Hopefully in tomorrow and then pc with me by weekend.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's why Scan are Gods
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Blaaargh. Spoke to Chillblast today and my motherboard isn't in stock, which is why there's been a delay. Hopefully in tomorrow and then pc with me by weekend.

PC for the purposes of gaming or a a work PC? What are the specs, missed it in the thread :)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Have you not haggled for the 5% off?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Have you not haggled for the 5% off?

I hate myself for this, but I genuinely can't be fucked to do it. I just have no energy. I also got done on my car insurance renewal last month being to lazy to look elsewhere. I need to get better.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    PC for the purposes of gaming or a a work PC? What are the specs, missed it in the thread :)

Gaming PC. No teacher needs what I need. I am hoping for some 4K with mostly 1440p gaming. No RTX as I couldn't shout the mad cost there. Will maybe add later.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Nice, congrats on your new PC :)
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Right then, after another day of research, reading and comparing reviews and weighing
     up the options available to me I have decided upon: https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-32-curved-gaming-monitor-s3220dgf/apd/210-atvc/monitors-monitor-accessories?ref=p13n_ena_pdp_vv&c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

s3220dgf_curved_vidplay.jpg
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Taking on board advice form Gurt and some other variables to arrive at the conclusion. A monitor that will serve varying degrees of media consumption and work.
  • Cor 165Hz, very nice. I assume you've checked out reviews and such, that looks like a fantastic monitor. Mine happens to be curved too, not sure how much that affects things, but I think if you get up to the right distance it can make things a wee bit more immersive. Curved has some downsides of course, like other people in a room won't get the benefit, and in some CAD/art instances where it can make edges and angles seem slightly off.

I think I'll be holding off until you can get specs like that in a 4K monitor for a reasonable price.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah did my research on it. You're right though, it's very difficult coming to an informed purchase on a new monitor. So many variables to consider and opinions to read through. One of the paragraphs from Tom's Hardware gave me a nudge in this direction though:

"If you're looking for a monitor that can deliver good gaming performance and image quality while remaining practical for workday tasks, the Dell S3220DGF is one of the best gaming monitors"

Pretty much what I want really. As I work from home on the PC as well. I never really wanted a strict gaming monitor and I most certainly didn't want a monitor that looked like a gaming monitor. I also didn't want to lean too far in the other direction as well. Which is where the BEN Q was taking me I think.

Yeah, so I am happy with this. Trigger has been pulled anyway so no going back now. I'll follow up when it has arrived and I've had time to test it first-hand.
  • If you haven't experienced high refresh rates before you're in for a treat, just moving your mouse or windows around or scrolling should look so much smoother than your old one. With a high Hz comes lower input latency too, everything will feel snappier and just nicer.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah I remember you saying that previously. The other monitors I was eyeing up were IPS and VA panels at 4k but limited to 60hz (good value 32" monitors all the same). In the end I thought it would be more beneficial to try out a higher refresh rate. And by all accounts there is still a nice visual leap from HD to QHD and from what I've read that initial jump is more jarring than going from QHD to 4k so at least I will get some improvement to my current 1080p setup whilst also getting a nice refresh rate, decent colour gamut and HDR (even if it is only emulated HDR).
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Oh and a nice big 32" screen :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!