regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    All I need.
  • Where did you order from Reg?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Chillblast
  • I'm too late but raytracing is genuinely amazing and you should all buy RTX cards. Quake 2 RTX'd is one of my favourite games of this year.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Finally another advocate. It's insane what it can add to the atmosphere of a game. Control looks astonishing with it.
  • While I do like the idea of raytracing I have the nagging feeling that Nvidia's implementation will be dead in the water soon. A bit like the poorly neglected cuda cores in my laptop.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I've got an i5-4670k, 2x4Gb ram, GTX 970 and I'm not sure on the motherboard.

Can I just bang in a new gpu to run Witcher 3 on Ultra at 2.5K resolution and a solid 60 frames? I think I need a whole new box but I don't have that scratch laying about right now.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • For an older game like the Witcher 3 you might well be fine with four fast cores, probably go for a 2060 upwards but check GPU reviews to see what you could expect. Gameplay might be as smooth on a quad core though, have a look at Digital Foundry's CPU tests, they often use The Witcher 3 for things like core and clock scaling.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Had a little panic about the XT there but I'm more than happy with it over my current 670 and expect it'll see me through laughing to next gen. If the ray tracing takes off, I'll buy a card rather than a new console, especially given the way Gamepass is working, so phew. Should come next week.

Interestingly I saw on chillblast my previous order and turns out I was only 16gb ram so looks like I've fucked it on there. Oh well.
  • hdYw5Us.jpg

Wee pic of the boys first build.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Break down what's in it
  • I’m so close to going all in on a PC and then picking up a PS5 mid gen or so once a few of the exclusives are on the ground. Problem comes that I don’t have a monitor, keyboard etc so that’s gotta come outta my budget. Can I not just plug it into my 4K oled tv? If not, then why not? Sorry, proper noob question.

Also where’s the best place to configure such a thing? I’d like to build it myself just because.
  • A alien.

... or sutin?!
  • I’m so close to going all in on a PC and then picking up a PS5 mid gen or so once a few of the exclusives are on the ground. Problem comes that I don’t have a monitor, keyboard etc so that’s gotta come outta my budget. Can I not just plug it into my 4K oled tv? If not, then why not? Sorry, proper noob question. Also where’s the best place to configure such a thing? I’d like to build it myself just because.

Yep plug it right in there.

PCPartpicker is a fantastic site for putting a build together, it aggregates specs, prices and availability. Let us know if you would like some parts advice.

Also if people would like some cheap but good keyboard + mouse pointers hit me up.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I use my 4K TV all the time. Only limitation is the 60hz but I’m not an online gamer with leeeet skillzz so doesn't matter anyway. Just get a good wireless keyboard and mouse.
  • Fucking A! So I may look into this then.  Yeah advice on mice and keyboards please.  Gonna want to be wireless if we’re going in the living room.  I can then play the games with an Xbox pad I guess?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Xbox pad is perfect.

I can’t recommend keyboards as I just use my Craft keyboard which more of a designers keyboard but does the job for me. I also rarely use the keyboard at all and not for FPS’s. Still more comfortable with a pad.

Mouse wise I have a Logitech wireless gaming mouse and a steel series wired mouse. For me the benefit is the extra buttons and mapping stuff to em. So with Disco I can control the whole game with the mouse.

• If you are mainly going to be playing with a pad, and a M+Kb will just be for navigating about Windows, then a cheapo lightweight combo will do. Maybe this sort of thing.

But if you want to be using them for actual gameplay then I highly recommend going for a mechanical switch keyboard, they are more comfortable and durable than cheap mushy boards, and improve the gameplay experience quite a bit in my experience. This would be a fine keyboard, and this is an excellent mouse that I can highly recommend.

Getting quality high performing peripherals is well worth the little extra cost IMO, but if you will mainly be using a pad then it's of less concern.
  • I really didn't like playing games with a mouse and keyboard before I got myself a mechanical board, it was just so much more comfortable and responsive. Same for when I finally got a mouse with a good sensor in it, I found I could actually aim properly.

I still like a pad for lots of things though.

Using shit peripherals to play games on PC is like using a shit third party controller on a console.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm going to buy another Xbox wireless for new pc because why not. I've only got one at the minute and the one in the pc is a wired one that's like 1 foot too short, cable wise.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Break down what's in it

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4
    Memory: Corsair vengence 16GB DDR4-3200 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB nvme SSD
    Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 590 8 GB
    Case: NZXT 510i ATX Mid Tower
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 (EU) 550
    And a Miles Morales spiderman bobble head thingmy
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I'm going to buy another Xbox wireless for new pc because why not. I've only got one at the minute and the one in the pc is a wired one that's like 1 foot too short, cable wise.

Now you're master race, get an elite pad
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Spidey is a nice touch Boolitt.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Subbax wrote:
    I've got an i5-4670k, 2x4Gb ram, GTX 970 and I'm not sure on the motherboard. Can I just bang in a new gpu to run Witcher 3 on Ultra at 2.5K resolution and a solid 60 frames? I think I need a whole new box but I don't have that scratch laying about right now.

This gives you an idea of how the old i5 works for some modern games -

• So those in the know please take a look at this below and tell me what I’m missing?

Keyboard and mouse obvs.  What about cables to ma telly box?  3k maximum btw
    PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/m7mZQq

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KS 4 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£526.40 @ Alza) 
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£147.97 @ Amazon UK) 
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste  (£6.11 @ Amazon UK) 
    Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£180.24 @ Amazon UK) 
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£186.88 @ Amazon UK) 
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£172.38 @ Aria PC) 
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£79.64 @ Amazon UK) 
    Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  (£1149.72 @ CCL Computers) 
    Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (£127.49 @ Amazon UK) 
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£115.99 @ Box Limited) 
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (£83.00 @ Amazon UK) 
    Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  (£57.49 @ Box Limited) 
    Total: £2833.31
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-30 16:54 GMT+0000
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    YES TI-BRO YES DO IT DON'T BUY AMD CAVE TO THE DARKSIDE
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Thinking summer time for my upgrade. Hoping to get some work done on the house, so can lose the purchase in some ringing errors, plus my PC space is being downgraded so I need moral compensation. If my next one last as long as this one (10 years now) then I'm sure it'll be a worthy investment, particularly as the kids need it more and more. The sites people are using above, do they build it for you or what??
  • That's a very fine build. When you get to that kind of budget that's when going for a higher end Intel CPU like the 9900K starts to make sense, as a 2080 Ti will get you up to scenarios where you will be more CPU limited. Saying that if you are only aiming for 60Hz then it's a bit of a waste, you would do just as well with a Ryzen 3700X/3800X. Even if you had a 144Hz display the difference between Intel and Ryzen is minimal single digit stuff. But if you were going to do some competitive gaming on a really fancy high refresh display then Intel makes sense.

If I were you I would consider swapping out the 9900KS for a cheaper 8 core Ryzen, or even the 12 core 3900X which is cheaper still than the 9900KS. Because Ryzen is much more efficient you could get away with a cheaper big air cooler like the Noctua D15s which is fantastic, though tbh the stock cooler would do just fine. Put the savings into; more solid state storage / case fans / better peripherals or the Elite pad / or moar games ;)

That motherboard has WiFi built it so you don't need the extra card. I would use this thermal paste over the Arctic stuff, it's pretty much the best. And yeah if you can get more solid state storage in there and ditch the spinning rust that would be a good idea, hard drives are noisy, unreliable, and slow.

Also if you aren't needing a big PC for lots of hard drives and graphics cards and stuff then you might want to consider going for a smaller form factor, mATX or mini-ITX. Might be nicer if it's by the side of the telly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!