Let's make a gaming PC
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Thinking summer time for my upgrade. Hoping to get some work done on the house, so can lose the purchase in some ringing errors, plus my PC space is being downgraded so I need moral compensation. If my next one last as long as this one (10 years now) then I'm sure it'll be a worthy investment, particularly as the kids need it more and more. The sites people are using above, do they build it for you or what??

PCPartpicker just aggregates prices and specs, a fantastic tool for putting a good build together. You then go buy the parts from the different sites and build it yourself.

I highly recommend a DIY build, cheapest, gets you the optimal parts for your situation, and it's very rewarding and fun once you've got it done and turn it on. It's really not especially challenging either, anyone can do it with very minimal instruction.
  • YES TI-BRO YES DO IT DON'T BUY AMD CAVE TO THE DARKSIDE

To be clear if anyone is wondering I'm no AMD fanboy, I always try to recommend the best price/performance parts that fit people's needs. For the majority of people an Intel CPU doesn't make much sense at any price point right now, but there are certainly exceptions.

Like if you have a super high end GPU such as the 2080 Ti and want to game at really high refresh rates, perhaps competitively, then a 9900K makes perfect sense. Or if there's some specific application that really benefits from the high 5GHz+ clock speed and is well optimised for Intel chips.

But for a general recommendation the latest Ryzen CPUs are pretty much at performance parity, more efficient, and are a better value due to the lower cost and included decent coolers.
  • So those in the know please take a look at this below and tell me what I’m missing?

A budget?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    YES TI-BRO YES DO IT DON'T BUY AMD CAVE TO THE DARKSIDE
    To be clear if anyone is wondering I'm no AMD fanboy, I always try to recommend the best price/performance parts that fit people's needs. For the majority of people an Intel CPU doesn't make much sense at any price point right now, but there are certainly exceptions. Like if you have a super high end GPU such as the 2080 Ti and want to game at really high refresh rates, perhaps competitively, then a 9900K makes perfect sense. Or if there's some specific application that really benefits from the high 5GHz+ clock speed and is well optimised for Intel chips. But for a general recommendation the latest Ryzen CPUs are pretty much at performance parity, more efficient, and are a better value due to the lower cost and included decent coolers.

I know you aren't, I've just made up a fantasy scenario in my head where me and you have waged wars over intel and amd.
  • Aye I've got ye ;)  Just wanted to clarify for any onlookers as hardware fanboyism is still a big thing sadly.
  • Any better?  
    I’m not too fussed about having a smaller form case as it seems to limit the choice of motherboard quite considerably?  Maybe I’m looking at wrong though. Anyway...

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dkKTmg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£317.89 @ Amazon UK) 
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£147.97 @ Amazon UK) 
    Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£264.94 @ More Computers) 
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£186.88 @ Amazon UK) 
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£172.38 @ Aria PC) 
    Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£253.97 @ Amazon UK) 
    Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  (£1149.72 @ CCL Computers) 
    Case: Fractal Design Vector RS ATX Mid Tower Case  (£163.43 @ CCL Computers) 
    Power Supply: Corsair 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£146.98 @ Laptops Direct) 
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (£83.00 @ Amazon UK) 
    Case Fan: Corsair LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans  (£74.99 @ Box Limited) 
    Total: £2962.15
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-30 19:49 GMT+0000
  • Yeah that is a very snazzy build indeed. I notice you are an RGB aficionado ;)  I haven't done much with RGB stuff myself, but I think you might want to look up how they should be wired to the mobo headers, I think there are a couple of standards and you can do bad stuff if you put them in the wrong place or plug them into fan headers accidentally..

3TB of SSD strorage is fuckin sick, I'm jealous.

Personally I would have swapped the liquid cooler for a nice big quiet air cooler like a Noctua or a Be Quiet, as those last forever but liquid coolers typically have a five year lifespan before the pumps wear out or the coolant evaporates. That 360mm cooler will be overkill though, and there is an undeniable 'cool' factor with liquid cooling.

That will be a very sexy machine once you get it built, post some pics if you do.
  • I’m not too fussed about having a smaller form case as it seems to limit the choice of motherboard quite considerably?  Maybe I’m looking at wrong though.

Yeah full ATX is the most common size case, micro ATX in particular seems to be a dying breed which is a shame. There should be a good selection of mini-ITX's however. But I guess for the kind of powerful hardware you want to live in there a full size case makes a lot of sense in terms of cooling. I just suggested a smaller form factor as it might be more ideal for a living room, but that selection of parts should make for a quite a showpiece.
  • The thought of spending £1,150 on a graphics card, makes me feel sick.

All power to anyone who can/wants to, but that’s not for me.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's such a sexy card though, spread it out in monthly costs and its sound.
  • I mean it’s not a defo yet but we’ll see.  I kinda want to get a bit of an idea on where the next gen consoles are gonna sit power wise but half life vr is a big push, as is the indie scene (majorly), MS are doing the good work with game pass/live stretching to pc and have also pulled their finger out a bit with getting studios making them some stuff that isn’t Halo or Gears which have never appealed to me.  The (almost) final push has been how much better the Quest has turned out to be compared to PSVR which makes me want to look into full on VivePro stuff too.  Still not a certain purchase but I’m not far off jumping.
  • The next consoles are going to be really rather nice, I would guess about at the level of a £700-800 PC build now. For the top end SKU anyway, it looks like there will be base models. There's a little under a year to wait for them, so it depends on how keen you are now.

You probably don't have to spend quite that much money to get a fantastic PC experience, a 2070 Super would suffice for living room gaming honestly.
  • Any better?   I’m not too fussed about having a smaller form case as it seems to limit the choice of motherboard quite considerably?  Maybe I’m looking at wrong though. Anyway... PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dkKTmg CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£317.89 @ Amazon UK)  CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£147.97 @ Amazon UK)  Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£264.94 @ More Computers)  Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£186.88 @ Amazon UK)  Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£172.38 @ Aria PC)  Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£253.97 @ Amazon UK)  Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  (£1149.72 @ CCL Computers)  Case: Fractal Design Vector RS ATX Mid Tower Case  (£163.43 @ CCL Computers)  Power Supply: Corsair 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£146.98 @ Laptops Direct)  Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (£83.00 @ Amazon UK)  Case Fan: Corsair LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans  (£74.99 @ Box Limited)  Total: £2962.15 Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-30 19:49 GMT+0000

You forgot VR.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • So picking the parts is an enjoyable little time waster in its own time isn’t it? I might just spend the next 6 months re-jigging stuff. Literally wasted three hours this morning going from one rabbit hole to the next. Good times.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I'd hold off buying anything for a few hours chaps. News incoming.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well it's a bit fucking late for reg int it
  • I'd hold off buying anything for a few hours chaps. News incoming.

I'm not buying today but do you mean the PS5 specs leak or is there something super brilliant happening in the pc space that i have no idea about?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    As its hair, I'm guessing it will be VR related.
  • The Intel specs for the new chips leaked so I assume it's that?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Echt. Im fine with my pc build and it will do me vr fine which is all I care about. This is a half life alyx machine.
  • Ah yeah, you're fine. There's always some new shit coming out and the new Intel chips won't be out proper for a while.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    What if you didn't have to make a PC but rent a super powerful Windows 10 system that could stream to virtually any device. Mac, laptop, TV etc from a cloud server?

Elite running wirelessly on a Quest via Shadow Cloud.

Me very interested.

A3WUP8F.jpg
  • Proper shite latency and video compression artifacts? Na.

Also, 4 cores??? That would cause stuttering issues in some recent games even if it was run locally.. Oh unless it means a multithreaded chip for 8 threads total, which is generally fine.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It's very convincing tech.

'It feels a little bit like magic'.

• Yeah I'm very very unconvinced. Just look at the input delay in that video, it looks fucking awful. Always get a trial of this stuff to see if you actually like it before spending any significant money.

Even a budget PC is a better investment than that. If you were just playing just strategy or walking sim / puzzle type stuff then I could see it making sense perhaps, like it would be really cool to play Total Warhammer II on the go, assuming you can get to places with good enough internet. But as a home replacement for a console or PC it really it's a bit of a con. If you want to play anything remotely reflex based then it's going to feel terrible compared to even a very low end local machine.
  • OH BY THE WAY -
    (Sponsored by Shadow)

Yeah fuck that shit.
  • I seriously think that any sponsored/ad video should mention that in the video title. I saw a LTT video pop up last night that had a title that was something like "We built an awesome 9700K gaming rig - Sponsored by Intel", so of course I discarded it as worthless and didn't click on it. Then later on the same vid was on the YT home page and the title had changed to some generic build guide thing, no mention of the sponsorship. Very much down with that sort of thing. To be fair I'm sure it mentions it at the start of the video and in the description, but still..

Like they would have titles that were "Product X Showcase", showcase basically meaning it's just a damn fucking advert. You really have to watch out for this shit.
  • That's the most confusing price tag I've ever seen! Are you going to make a thread Hair? Be interesting to see your experiences if you sign up.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Is it 99 quid a month for 29 months?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Think the paaand sign is in the wrong place.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!