Let's make a gaming PC
  • Yeah what you've chosen seems like the best 'bang for the buck' set of features you can get right now. It will be a little while before I can afford a new one but I'm hoping 4K and those kind of specs will be available by then.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah seems like the natural progression. I'll never be able to afford being a first adopter or being on the front line of new tech but I am happy to drop some money on skimming the middle ground.

Just need to get around to that PC you put together for me god knows how many months ago now. That's next on the list, then I should be somewhat good for a year or two.
  • Yeah give me a shout when you want to pull the trigger, I can update the list if needed.

Oh by the way there are some strong reckons floating around from people in the know that RAM prices might be going up this year. If you weren't aware a year or two ago there was a crazy 'shortage' (price fixing) thing and all the DDR4 was over twice the price it was or should be. There's a few factors that suggest something similar might happen again, hopefully not as extreme..

For anyone looking to build a PC this year, or for those who have just 8GB, I would recommend you get some now. The prices are about as low as it's ever been to get fast 16GB kits, very reasonable.

So you might want to get your RAM now or quite soon haak.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    DDR 4 3200mhz? Or is that overkill?
  • CES is happening currently. AMD has announced the 5600 XT, another midrange option that will hopefully be at a good price. And some mobile stuff, a new laptop CPU which will hopefully find it's way into some machines this year.
  • Speedhaak wrote:

No that's ideal, this stuff should be fine.
  • 64 core 3990X Threadripper CPU announced. $3990, bargain.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    No that's ideal, this stuff should be fine.

Cool, I'll start looking into my bits 'n bobs then :)
  • Parts coming from Amazon and others collected by myself from Scan tomorrow because i cannot fucking wait to get building the thing.

Need to get the graphics card ordered but it's out of stock at Scan and £50 more elsewhere.  I'll decide how to proceed with that tomorrow.  

Can i perhaps have a list of PC must haves please?  Say best 5 or ten games that are either unavailable elsewhere or will show off the shinies.  I get Red Dead 2 free with the cpu and gamepass with something else. I'm thinking control may be a decent one?  I really, really want Horrace as a PC only indie game.  Any other cool indies not yet on the main consoles?  So many questions.

I am extremely excited.
  • Or the most recent one?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    2080ti DS. 2080ti.

We can now marry
  • Control seems to be the RTX darling.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Metro Exodus and Quake 2 also
  • I see Quake 2 as a nice example of how much of a difference it can make, almost tech demo, but not really a selling point. Which is fine, it is a mod on a 20 odd year old game.
  • Can i perhaps have a list of PC must haves please?  Say best 5 or ten games that are either unavailable elsewhere or will show off the shinies.

Total Warhammer 2 is a fantastic spectacle and a good use of high end hardware, a real reason to get a PC, it triggered me into a major GPU upgrade a while back. Most of the other Total War games are great too if you like historical combat.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance if you haven't already played it, looks utterly beautiful, install it on an NVME SSD if you're getting one.

Totally Accurate Battle Simulator doesn't have heavy GPU requirements but is a wonderful mess of wobbly physics and silly tactics fun.

Came out a few years ago now but I really like Obduction, a chilled and often tricky explorative puzzler, Myst devs.

BeamNG Drive is sort of a crazy realistic car destruction physics sim thing, has some fun challenges now, and plenty of mods too.

Thems the standouts I can think of just now, there's plenty of others to check out though of course. Minecraft with all the raytraced bells and whistles might be nice.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Uncle, guessing your beast could handle PCVR games?

Asgard's Wrath should show off what your build can do and is supposed to be breathtaking.

Just need an Oculus Link Headset Cable...

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • The build is about to begin.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Pics lad I need new wankbank material
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    lol
  • Part Number: 90L30001UK

Web Price:
    € 1,449.99
    After Instant Savings:
    € 814.99
    inc. VAT
    Savings:
    € 635.00
    Ships in 1-2 business days.

In stock

Compare

Processor

Intel Core i5-9400 Processor ( 2.90GHz 9MB )
    Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64
    Memory

8.0GB PC4-21300 DDR4 UDIMM 2666MHz
    WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters

Lenovo AC Wireless (2x2) + Bluetooth Version 4.2
    Storage

512GB SSD PCIe
    Optical Drive

DVD-RW
    Warranty

One year Depot or Carry-in
    AC Adapter

350W
    Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 6GB GDDR6

Nice rig.
    It's cheap because they nibbled on a few things.
    Not a hi end cpu for starters. Just 8 gb of ram and only a dvd drive instead of bluray.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Hmm, tempting...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So ASUS ditching Intel. Not the main content of the video so the headline is a bit click baity but it does show that Intel should be seriously worried.

https://youtu.be/hGUESEq75ZI

I don’t think Intel have really considered the importance of slim form factor desire for consumers.

I still think in the next three years Apple will ditch Intel too and create their own chips. The iPad Pro is on a par with a MacBook so it seemed inevitable.
  • Speedhaak wrote:

It is maybe as much as €100 cheaper than if you were to try and get the parts seperately for a build, buuut I don't think that's particularly upgradable at all. Dell often use their own proprietary motherboards and power supplies, which can be finicky for future upgrades. Like the power supply will be just barely specced high enough for those components.

The 9400 is only 6 cores and 6 threads, which is pretty naff for a new build in 2020... You can definitely do better than that. I would pretty much always recommend doing a proper DIY build so you can get a good case, power supply, motherboard, that will allow you to keep going with upgrades and maintenance for the next 5-15 years.

There might well be some other system builders that have sales right now, with a better selection of parts for the money that could be a reasonable platform to work with and build upon.

What are your current specs?

• b0r1s wrote:
    So ASUS ditching Intel.

At least one big company has cited has cited Intel as the reason for their poor financial performance this last year, due to short supply of 14nm products. Because Intel's 10nm plans totally fell through they've been in a tight spot trying to supply their customers with enough CPUs, the fabs that manufacture the silicon dies have a limited amount of production capacity. This is why Intel have even started to revive older process nodes like 22nm in desperation to try and supply their OEM customers.

They still have absolutely fuckloads of money and market share though, so as long they put some of it into good R&D they'll get back on track, eventually. In the meantime this allows AMD to really take advantage, which should level the playing field nicely, meaning better competition in technology and lower prices. A win-win for us consumers.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:

It is maybe as much as €100 cheaper than if you were to try and get the parts seperately for a build, buuut I don't think that's particularly upgradable at all. Dell often use their own proprietary motherboards and power supplies, which can be finicky for future upgrades. Like the power supply will be just barely specced high enough for those components.

The 9400 is only 6 cores and 6 threads, which is pretty naff for a new build in 2020... You can definitely do better than that. I would pretty much always recommend doing a proper DIY build so you can get a good case, power supply, motherboard, that will allow you to keep going with upgrades and maintenance for the next 5-15 years.

There might well be some other system builders that have sales right now, with a better selection of parts for the money that could be a reasonable platform to work with and build upon.

What are your current specs?

You must be sick of me at this stage. I have the build you researched for me a few months back for €1600 -- just thought this might be worth looking into at nearly half the price. Thanks for the feedback though.

Current specs are:

i7 7700 HQ 2.8ghz
    16gb DDR 3 (not sure of the clock speed)
    1050TI 3gb
    512 GB SSD

It's a Laptop though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!