Final Fantasy XIV
  • Bibs, you sorted now?

I've been pootling on this tbh - still only 59 - just questing and absorbing the as I go.

Marvellous.  So good.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii
    bordude / bibidybobbidyboo

Send message
    Yeah I'm loving it actually, although I couldn't get on tonight because, once again, PSN is fucked.

I'm still level 32 on my main class but I've got a bunch of the crafting and gathering classes up to level 20-27ish. Love the relaxing nature of those classes! Been playing this game for nearly 6 months now!
    Twitter: Mr Three-Dee@martingwilliams
  • Sweet! I'm up to date with the story now, which I'd rather marvellous. No spoilers but we'll worth getting stuck into. My Dragoon plopped up to 60 and I've casually been accumulating my Law tomes and am at i165 just 5 from being allowed in to the Alexander normal raid. I saw Esoteric Tomes hit in the patch this week so they
    they'll help too.

Got Machinist to 42, plays similar to Bard but goes bang instead of...erm...thwuk?

Gathering's sweet man! Loved mining in 2.0 and tha's how I built up most of my gil. I found fishing particularly satisfying when you start exploring all the hidden fishing holes and open up big fishing. Awesome!
  • Weird, I'm just downloading the trial of this. Will I have a choice of server? If so...which one should I be joining if I hope to, briefly, swag a badger?
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii

Send message
    Weird, I'm just downloading the trial of this. Will I have a choice of server? If so...which one should I be joining if I hope to, briefly, swag a badger?

I'm on Cerberus EU, so feel free to join me for a game sometime!
  • Coolio, thanks. I seem to remember the B&B guys were a bit spread out on this game, but I'm seriously considering joining and I'd ideally like to do that with you lot.

So, Cerberus it is for now. Anyone else on there?
  • Download trial. Finally get it after what seems like an age.

Install game.

Game needs update. Download update.

Now, launcher must be updated.

Download and install update for launcher.

Must register. Done. Now to update client.

Connection failed, please close and try again.

Connection failed, please close and try again.

Finally successful!

Downloading new update...downloaded 3.01MB/12766.36MB at download speed of 0.01MB/s

That's me out.
  • The update should be downloaded in about 20 hours. Given that the update name is dated as 2013, I expect there will be a few more after...

Let's see how many of my 14 free days I can actually use to play the game.
  • Talking to myself, hey ho.

So that 12gig patch is actually the combines size of all the patches, so hopefully once that's done, I will be able to play. Still looking at another day or two of downloading, though...
  • Hello!

Me again!

Only 15 more hours of patches to go, maybe!

Best game ever.
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii

Send message
    Seems to be par for the course for FF online games, I think FF11 was the same. It's not the easiest process, I have to say, and certainly very time consuming. It's a great game once you get past the hassle of installation. I'm still playing since I started the trial late January and have no plans to stop playing!
  • Yeah, was just bitching to myself really - this is the third MMO that I've tried, so I am aware of, and understand, the amount of patching needed if you don't join on day 1. I'm not a fan of Squeenix's download speed, but heyho.

I'm actually quite excited...been using this time to do a little reading and research. I never bother with the metagame (even if that means I am often unsuitable for higher level group play) but it seems the game is quite flexible with your character setup to the point that permanent mistakes are hard to make (and can be reversed at some point).

Finally, its been downloading for a day now, still several hours to go at least, and I've had to enter my password occasionally after psn or squeenix boots me, so it still has a better active/passive ratio than The Order, apparently, so I'm happy.

Exciting.
  • This has finished downloading, there is now a "play game" button!

Will try it when I get home later. Gonna be amazeballs.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's where the real download begins
  • Lollers.

Anyway, get home, turn on PS3. Go to login to FF14. "Due to suspicious activity, password change...".

Check email, get directed to a password reset page.

Page is temporarily down due to maintenance, please try again later.

Wish I was making this up.
  • OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

I am playing the game!

Review in progress:

Opening cinematic has good graphics, best game ever.

[10]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What's the payme5 model for this on ps4? Initial purchase (including "free" month) and then subscription? Do they sometimes give the game itself away for cheap monies or am I imagining that??
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    You used to be able to get the PS3 client for tuppence and then transfer it to PS4 but that scheme's ended now.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Ooh, question. Given that I have downloaded the game (for the free trial), do I need to pay for it if I choose to continue into a paid sub? Or do I just pay for the sub and continue on my way?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is that free trial on pc?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Is that free trial on pc?

Yup, as well as PS3 and 4. Go to here and click on the button to start the free trial. A client will download and you can go from there.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh, question. Given that I have downloaded the game (for the free trial), do I need to pay for it if I choose to continue into a paid sub? Or do I just pay for the sub and continue on my way?

ooh, thanks for the link above... though that does mean I'd like to know the answer to this question too!
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Ooh, question. Given that I have downloaded the game (for the free trial), do I need to pay for it if I choose to continue into a paid sub? Or do I just pay for the sub and continue on my way?

ooh, thanks for the link above... though that does mean I'd like to know the answer to this question too!

I can answer that too! I am RESEARCH MAN!

You still need to buy it as you need a registration number to activate to a paid account. Your character can carry over, though, so feel free to try before you buy - you won't lose anything. The paid version can be a physical copy (cheap as chips) or a paid digital version. After that, just buy 60 day timecards or use online billing, your choice.
  • Nice one CiT!  How're you finding it?

I'm on Hyperion NA Legacy server - hope you find a good home wherever you choose.  I'm only on NA as I found a cool linkshell in 1.0 and I stuck with them as they're a friendly and supportive bunch.

Enjoy that 2.0 storyline!
  • I'm really enjoying it. I thought the opening set of missions were incredibly dull, even for an MMO and I initially struggled with joypad control. And I had some other small gripes when I started out.

Because, other than the above initial reactions, i adore it. Really solid, it's just the most MMO-y MMO I've ever played. I don't see a huge amount new here, but that's not a criticism, everything is super refined.

I like the main quest line having decent story content. And I also like that your class quest line and the early duty finder stuff acts as a practical tutorial to your role and to group play...seriously, every MMO should do this.

And crafting...a day after I first started playing, I didn't want to go out and do more missions, so I thought I'd try the crafting. It's a super relaxing time sink. I've spent probably as much time with the crafting as I have with the mission content - tradeleves 4 life, I always try to sell quality gear for extra cash dollah!

The thing with the crafting and much of the mission content is that it feels...I dunno, it feels like you just can pop in and out here and there and take things as quickly or slowly as you want. If I only have half an hour, I can pop on and craft some stuff. A little longer, maybe do some duties or follow a quest line for a step. It's really accommodating.

I actually nailed the game pretty hard in the first 1/2 days, but yesterday I was super busy so couldn't get any time in. So far I have a Marauder as my main, level 18, and also signed up for the Conjurer and Archer classes, both level 5 (not actually gonna touch them for now, as I will concentrate on my main, I just wanted to play with class switching after getting access to airships). I also have a blacksmith and armoursmith at about 15-18, plus I've also had a tinker with Alchemy, botany, mining, carpentry and...I can't remember. Don't wanna do them all at once, just having a look-see.

In the end, I didn't join Cerberus, or Phoenix or Hyperion...when I look at the world list, many of the worlds I wanted to join for you guys had waiting lists and I didn't have time to wait as I was on a trial. So, given that playing with you lot would have been hard, I looked for a Japanese world (due to proximity, as I have terrible internet at the best of time and I was also genuinely worried about how well i could even play the game) with an English language Free Company. I haven't joined them yet, but I saw them on a ff14 forum and they seem pretty chilled, so maybe I'll ask about joining them after I go full sub, and see more of the game.

I'm gonna try and get some more time in tonight...got 2 outstanding tradeleves and I'm sure I can take on more by now (ran out of my allowance). But first, work...
  • That's awesome.  The ability to change jobs/classes is absolutely fantastic and gives you real flexibility when deciding what you want to do.  Whilst waiting for a dungeon party on my Dragoon I invariably don my miner gear and gathering some materials whilst waiting for the dungeon to pop.  There's always so much that you can do.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in Eorzea!
  • ffxiv_26072015_154014_zpsbgv3xtlt.png

No spoilers
  • 3.1 went live the other day - story's pretty sweet.

There's currently a FFXI event in game because XI's coming to an end.

Aw.
  • My sub has lapsed for now, but I intend to get back into this again when I have time. Considering purchasing a ps4 at some point, so I'll probably upgrade to that - anyone know how the loading times compare?
  • Loading times are much better on PS4 compared to PS3.  I see Bibs on the PS4 a fair bit - he'll know.

Finished the 3.1 story line - sooo good.  The XI event is pretty cool, mainly level 30 fates but there's some lovely nostalgic moments for XI players.

Splurged on some new metallic purple dye from the store and got a new haircut in Limsa.  Hardcore.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!