Just given up on...
  • just given up on MGSV.  enjoyed it for a bit but then got sick of it, great mechanics but the missions got too samey.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Kids have no patience these days
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I don't get the Bloodborne love. I read about this complex battle mechanic, then I watch a video of two avatars moonwalk-waltzing around each other, swinging weapons which pass through or over each other as though meeting no resistance. The movement and combat have no physicality. Or, at least, not one that looks at all engaging to me.  I suppose it's similar (but different) to the Halo/Destiny thing.  Or cauliflower.

I am with you. When I watched videos of Dark Souls and Bloodbone previews I was like wtf?

Then I took the gamble and gave Bloodborne a try. I was hooked in minutes.

The combat is...meaty. It just feels right.
  • It's also that the engagement is in the playing. It demands your complete focus, so you don't notice the other issues.

I was still surprised when I first started that they hadn't moved on from Souls technically, in terms of weapons clipping through scenery and so on, but engaging isn't a problem.
  • Frenzy is a terrible mechanic but overall the gameplay is very sleek.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Rodea - Yuji Shanna

• Batman: Arkham Knight.

I don't exactly go nuts over the sheer amount of media being created on this type of IP. Constantly juggling stock of it in work as the relentless Marvel Studios hype juggernaut rolls on doesn't help, but at £25, I won't say no to a solidly made game.

And that's what it mostly is. The characters and voice acting is superb, script is tight and moody, plenty of atmosphere, and it's generally quite fun to play, zooming around rooftops or on the streets in the 'mobile, which I found really fun to use, personally. But it's in the design of the game, and how it opens itself and the world up that I found the most problems. It, to me at least, is supposed to be an open world. But there were times when I couldn't get somewhere I wanted to go (choosing a mission from the wheel) cos I didn't have a particular item or upgrade. So I don't *really* have freedom. For some reason I don't find that a problem in Zelda/Metroid/Castlevania, but here I do. Maybe I've been spoilt on previous open world's. But it's also how the game keeps on Adding Shit for you to remember. Mechanic after mechanic after mechanic. To the point where I now go into missions forgetting half my arsenal. The combat is good enough, but what's the point of unlocking moves when it constantly prompts Other Shit when fighting. The combo list just felt like a mess after a while. It also seems certain items/weapons are made for only a handful of missions or points in the game, and are useless elsewhere, so why do I need to remember it all? It all just became too busy for me, and the itch to turn it back on just shrunk and shrunk.

I know I'm probably sounding like a yuppie gamer that's had it too good for years, and maybe I spread myself too thin across too many games to the point where I forget too much, but all that up there combined with the fact I'm not drooling over Batman lore means it's off to get traded in. Sorry, Bats!
  • I felt like that as far back as Arkham City, and didn't go back after the first couple of hours.

Asylum was decent, but that was enough for me, and adding more and more stuff just made it bloated and aimless rather than more fun.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Knight made it into my worst games of the year, but that's in hindsight too tough. Most disappointing is a better title.
  • Disease of more. Thanks Pat Riley.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Batman: Arkham Knight.

I don't exactly go nuts over the sheer amount of media being created on this type of IP. Constantly juggling stock of it in work as the relentless Marvel Studios hype juggernaut rolls on doesn't help, but at £25, I won't say no to a solidly made game.

And that's what it mostly is. The characters and voice acting is superb, script is tight and moody, plenty of atmosphere, and it's generally quite fun to play, zooming around rooftops or on the streets in the 'mobile, which I found really fun to use, personally. But it's in the design of the game, and how it opens itself and the world up that I found the most problems. It, to me at least, is supposed to be an open world. But there were times when I couldn't get somewhere I wanted to go (choosing a mission from the wheel) cos I didn't have a particular item or upgrade. So I don't *really* have freedom. For some reason I don't find that a problem in Zelda/Metroid/Castlevania, but here I do. Maybe I've been spoilt on previous open world's. But it's also how the game keeps on Adding Shit for you to remember. Mechanic after mechanic after mechanic. To the point where I now go into missions forgetting half my arsenal. The combat is good enough, but what's the point of unlocking moves when it constantly prompts Other Shit when fighting. The combo list just felt like a mess after a while. It also seems certain items/weapons are made for only a handful of missions or points in the game, and are useless elsewhere, so why do I need to remember it all? It all just became too busy for me, and the itch to turn it back on just shrunk and shrunk.

I know I'm probably sounding like a yuppie gamer that's had it too good for years, and maybe I spread myself too thin across too many games to the point where I forget too much, but all that up there combined with the fact I'm not drooling over Batman lore means it's off to get traded in. Sorry, Bats!

Totally agree -- Asylum was the perfect execution of this for me - the setting meant the narrative was tight and by the time it was over I'd had just enough. City just felt too generic in terms of a setting, and for me the addition of the car in Knight just feels like a desperate attempt to add some sheen to a tiring formula.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    Finally gotten out of my system more like after my final session completed. I'd never completed a full game with Enemy Within content so that was my main purpose and drive to get this done and finally uninstalled. The XCOM base defense gets absolutely ludicrous on Classic difficulty. I can only imagine how many people's Ironman runs that ended.

A593FF5B8E95DBDF3A770A20022DA27FA24E8F37
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii
    bordude / bibidybobbidyboo

Send message
    Wolfenstein: New Order, after about 1 hour of play.

Felt very pedestrian and tired, couldn't muster the enthusiasm to continue. Deleted from hard disk to make space for the Witness.

I think I'm done with FPSs, unless a miracle happens and something as ground breaking as the original Halo comes along.
    Twitter: Mr Three-Dee@martingwilliams
  • It gets much better after the beginning, which is meant to feel like Wolfenstein of yore. Nothing 'groundbreaking' but a meaty shooter with fun mechanics, tips of the hat to Quake and a story that's got some great characters in it.
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii
    bordude / bibidybobbidyboo

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It gets much better after the beginning, which is meant to feel like Wolfenstein of yore. Nothing 'groundbreaking' but a meaty shooter with fun mechanics, tips of the hat to Quake and a story that's got some great characters in it.

I'm in a trench, how much longer do I need to play before it becomes good?
    Twitter: Mr Three-Dee@martingwilliams
  • Until you finish the WW2 stuff
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah keep going
  • Remember to stop before you get to the final boss, too. That game is bookended with dog plops.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Coincidentally, I think New Blood is next up for me, having completed my previous game last night...
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider

I really enjoyed it for quite a while but got sick of it towards the end.  

There was a combination of things that contributed to me losing interest - I'd stopped paying attention to the story about halfway through, the volume of gadgets getting into Spider/Batman territory and not really feeling necessary, the armoured enemies making fighting more long winded than they needed to be.  Also while it's a very beautiful game I think the prologue bit with the sun and red rocks was the prettiest.  The main game is very damp and overcast.

I like audiologs in theory but if you have to stop playing the game to listen to them I'm not going to bother.  Completely fine with them if they're playing in the background while I explore.

Bow combat was fun, would have been fine if that and her climbing axes were Lara's only weapons in fact.  It was just towards the end when the number of armoured enemies kept rising that I felt like there wasn't much else to see and it felt like a slog.  

Platforming seemed very basic and low stakes but I still enjoyed just getting around.  Felt like a good amount of collectables to find, not too overbearing or anything.

I'm fine with Lara being a bit of a violent maniac since the reboot, not so keen on how often she seems to survive by chance (ie: losing her footing on a cliff, falling off, landing fortuitously on a shrub, or about to be murdered before another goody comes in and saves the day) - She should be more of a badass IMO.

I've read about people wanting the next TR to be a bit more of a lighthearted adventure and maybe not have Lara square off against entire private armies etc, and I agree with that. 

Will play the next game but will probably wait for a sale.

PS there are are few too many blokes who live out in the middle of nowhere in this game with Connor McGregor beards and haircuts, it's a bit strange.  Some dude guarding a sacred mountain giving himself an asymmetric undercut with his bowie knife and shit.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • The next game basically fixes most of that stuff, especially the enemies and combat side of things. You still get a bunch of weapon options but you could use the bow for most of it. Not really as Batman like with the gadgets either, but there are some elements of that. And it's very pretty throughout.

If you enjoyed it for the most part, then the sequel should be right up your alley.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • That is the next game, Matty. Rise Of.
  • Yeah, sorry Matty - when I was talking about the next game, I was just assuming there'll be a part 3 at some point.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • God dammit guys. I'll see myself out.

Have to say I didn't see it the same way (clearly).
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Talos Principle.
    Loved it for a large proportion - even found how to access the messengers but it's just dragged on too long. I know I'm not far from completion but it's just stretched out over too many levels with mechanics that I've grown just too weary of. I'd like to think I'll return to complete it once I've ploughed through firewatch but I know that's not really going to happen.

I'd really recommend the game as it's obviously a passion project but it needed a third lopping off the running time. Like most games actually.
  • trippy wrote:
    Remember to stop before you get to the final boss, too. That game is bookended with dog plops.

The final boss made me quit.
  • I knocked it down to easy. Total baws.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Talos Principle. Loved it for a large proportion - even found how to access the messengers but it's just dragged on too long. I know I'm not far from completion but it's just stretched out over too many levels with mechanics that I've grown just too weary of. I'd like to think I'll return to complete it once I've ploughed through firewatch but I know that's not really going to happen. I'd really recommend the game as it's obviously a passion project but it needed a third lopping off the running time. Like most games actually.

Climbing the last bit of the tower is very much something worth doing, if that's any motivation.

Fuck the gold stars. Most require you to borderline break the game by figuring out how to steal equipment from other puzzles and exploit walls you can jump onto to climb around the scenery. Only leads to a shitter ending anyway.
  • Oddly, I'd have been fine with Talos being longer and I much prefer short games, on the whole. Excellent game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!