Just given up on...
  • Tempy wrote:
    I'll resume this in its rightful place
    It's a looker, but it's not for me. Reminds me of Guacamelee in that I never felt it was difficult outside of the controls translating about 30% of my actions into responses that I didn't want. Got to the second shrine escape and after a few goes at gliding through it I got to the long upwards chimney at the end, only to be instantly killed by a giant falling boulder that there was no way of dodging without foreknowledge. No thanks. Combat was mind-numbing as well.
    I'll double jump to its defence as I thought it was pretty much exceptional throughout.  I found the controls to be absolutely spot on, save for one ability towards the end, to the point where I'd say it rivals Meat Boy for a perfectly functioning moveset, despite adding dozens of extra abilities.  A 30% miss rate is pretty high for a game I'd describe as the best ever example of 2D platforming in terms of pinpoint, supertight control.    The escape sections require route planning with information gleaned from dying.  I get that this approach isn't for everyone but I thought that was the best way to handle those three (four?) distinct difficulty spikes.  You're practicing your escape; when you perfect it you're out.   Still, you got pretty far in, so nvm.
    I never found the moveset accurate but I doubt it is because of the moveset itself, more because of the ambiguous nature of the ground you're moving on, thanks to the artwork that seems to not want to repeat a single shape or form at any point. Constantly mounting the lips of walls into bristles of spikes because a certain edge is 5% different form the last few you've climbed up was common, and frequently landing on obstacles or enemies because the exact edges were ill defined was another frequent issue. Combat is just best not talked about altogether given how loose it was, but it would be remiss not to point out those charmless blobs that shoot out three mines like they're going out of fashion, which given the immense visual noise at any point ends up with you just hammering X whilst charging around barely in control, hoping you don't end up careening into one of the five thousand shithead children it has spawned before your zero skill weapon has offed the offending cretin. I know how the escape routes function, and that kind of repitious failure and practice for success is always a really weird choice for a section of gameplay that is supposed to be about making a dramatic escape (what's dramatic about try 13?) but checkpointing me with 4 health and making me do it over and over with its punishing damage application. only to shove a giant "fuck you" boulder at the end was just the end of my enjoyment with it. I was happy muddling through for the moments it did work, but contempt for the player's time like that is never a good look. it certainly isn't the worst game ever, by any stretch, and I was largely enjoying the novelty it regularly threw out at me, but so many sections just felt designed to be beaten by attrition over reaction and skill which always puts me off.

Perhaps the attrition was key to my enjoyment.  In recent years I've realised I hugely enjoy platformers that allow very little margin for error.  This may be due to the fact that my actual skill levels are middling, but through repetition and gradual improvement I'll make it if they offer generous checkpoints.  The Retro Studios Donkey Kong Country games are good examples, as is the challenge mode in Shovel Knight.  The latter requires you to learn a pre-planned route, with pretty much no room to express yourself at all - piecing it together is almost a puzzle.  This approach shouldn't work, it doesn't sound appealing, but tends to suck me in, which is why the escape sections in Ori are among the most exhilarating videogame experiences I've had.  

The combat was functional, it didn't particularly appeal or annoy, but it definitely felt like a platform game with an additional fire button rather than a full blown platform shooter.  The lack of bosses was a shame too, but it's definitely my GotG thus far.
  • It can definitely work, I just don't think Ori's implementation of them is particularly charitable. Might be due to there being no hard and fast amount of health you will have when reaching them. I watched a guy on youtube doing it who had twice the health than I did, meaning he could take 5 or 6 hits to my 2.
  • You'd expect those sequences to replenish life bars at the start, I got lucky with that then.  I don't want to knock it too much because it really is a [10] for me, but I did find it annoying that you can't return to a certain area to pick up a life orb.  I had two paths to choose from, opted for what turned out to the the exit, thus missing the orb which you can't return to.  It's minor, but that sort of thing shouldn't happen in games that have a running percentage of collectibles.
  • Last Guardian played for an hour. Honestly cant be bothered with it. Traded to CEX.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Mad Max played for a few hours. Honestly cant be bothered with it. Deleted.

Unbelievably dull repetitive nonsense. Ugh.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Last Guardian played for an hour. Honestly cant be bothered with it. Traded to CEX.

Get Out!

Tbf, I can understand why people don't take to it. For me, the giant tamagotchi had enough charm to keep me playing.
  • I started Little Nightmares last night. Not convinced after a brief playthrough. I may "honestly can't be bothered with it" but I'll persevere for a bit longer. Not a big game, I imagine.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Mad Max played for a few hours. Honestly cant be bothered with it. Deleted. Unbelievably dull repetitive nonsense. Ugh.

I will hurt you.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The harms already been done :D
  • Someone should hurt Dino
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I started Little Nightmares last night. Not convinced after a brief playthrough. I may "honestly can't be bothered with it" but I'll persevere for a bit longer. Not a big game, I imagine.

Three hours, maybe.  Starts well enough, quickly veers toward nothing special, then ramps up to excellent and maintains steady worthiness to the credits.
  • Oh is that it? Then I'm sure I'll stick with it. Maybe we've been spoiled by Inside.
  • Yeah it's not as good as that.  Close enough for a pat on the back though.
  • This might be an unpopular one but...Doom on Xbone. I just couldn't get on with it, felt a little too chaotic for me personally and found I got easily bored. Don't think I've made it past level 3 or 4 to be honest and really can see myself completing it either now.
  • If you're bored playing Doom then I'm not sure what to suggest...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Borderlands 2 is always the answer.
  • I enjoyed Doom, but I can totally get why others wouldn't. It's very one note.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    I enjoyed Doom, but I can totally get why others wouldn't. It's very one note.
    That's the problem I found. I went into it after basically living in FO4 for weeks so I think going from a world where you can make a decision on what to do into something that essentially was run forward and hold fire it just didn't grab my attention
  • You gotta try and do more than just run forward and shoot. Which difficulty are you playing on? I think the one that seems 'hard' (Nightmare?) is the one true play it on. Running forward and shooting won't get you far on that. 

If you give it time, you'll learn abilities and and get upgrades that make the game so satisfying when you sting kills together and rack up points. It's such a great arcade shooter.

I felt there wasn't enough to it for some reason. I knew what to expect based on what the originals were (run and shoot) but for some reason it just didn't do it for me.
  • The last guardian
    Got at far as looking at it on the shelf in Tesco and gave up.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Destiny 2
    Thought about how shit the first one was and then gave up on even thinking about musing on contemplating buying it. Never again.

I felt there wasn't enough to it for some reason. I knew what to expect based on what the originals were (run and shoot) but for some reason it just didn't do it for me.

It got repetitive very very quickly for me and felt I was looking for something more from it.

Wolfenstein new thingy did it better imo.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    You gotta try and do more than just run forward and shoot. Which difficulty are you playing on? I think the one that seems 'hard' (Nightmare?) is the one true play it on. Running forward and shooting won't get you far on that.  If you give it time, you'll learn abilities and and get upgrades that make the game so satisfying when you sting kills together and rack up points. It's such a great arcade shooter.

I'm going to say just normal difficulty, I can't remember properly but I know it wasn't Nightmare. I did enjoy the special kills (can't remember the proper name, the one where the enemy glows orange before you kill them with an up close melee kill or similar). I still have my copy (stopped trading in as I always regret it a few months later) so maybe I will go back to it later on but at the moment I can't see it happening.
  • It's an interesting game because it works on very different levels mechanically depending on what difficulty you're playing it on. The harder the difficulty, the less run and gun it is and the more you have to rely on mechanics you can completely ignore on lower difficulties.
    I'm shit at it, so wasn't playing at a high level, but I did really enjoy stuff like the melee/reward mechanics.
    I thought the Hell levels were disappointing and the bosses were all just fucking dreadful, but I still got my money's worth out of it.
    It's very much a mixed bag.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It is too repetitive, even on Nightmare. You never really need to change tactics, just use bigger guns for bigger enemies and keep running about. Plus you nearly always encounter enemies in the same kind of open spaces.

I enjoyed it well enough in the end, and some of the battles were properly exciting and challenging. But they should have put more variety into the enemy and level design.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Doom bored me
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that didn't get on with Doom. It seemed to have near universal praise. In all honesty, I didn't stick with it for that long and still think about going back but with the old PoS not getting any smaller I feel like I just have to be more ruthless with my limited gaming time.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Also given up on Firewatch. I'm sure there's something to that game but it was just too ponderous for me plus above reasons.
  • I played it for ten minutes and sacked it off.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!