Super Street Fighter 4: Cross-up Tatsu Wake-up Ultra edition.
  • Just went around 100 rounds with Seth on hardest there as Akuma and I can't take any more. I got so close too, like 5 hits away. My hands hurt.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • Wait till he does a 'Boom or long arms, then jump kick and sweep.  Lv 3 Focus attack as he gets up, punish with a knockdown combo, rinse and repeat.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The focuses are working quite well when he doesn't beat the crap out of me before I get it out.
  • YESSS! Thanks elf, that helped a lot.
  • Repeated focus attack works well against all AI opponents, not so much on hardest setting.
  • By the way, playing the AI won't teach you much.
  • Eh, it's more the achievement whore in me but I also don't have any grand designs on being competitive. I play online a good bit, after setting fight request to same skill I was able to get 10 in a row ranked matches but I don't think I really want to get into this intense combo timing business as it's not that fun to me and no matter how many tutorials I watch, I'm not really getting better at linking and all that jazz.
  • If I was going to get competitive with something it would probably be a shooter or strategy game as I have a much longer history with those and that hasn't happened yet so I don't know if it ever will.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Jump to the left corner at the start of the round and hold down-back until Seth does Lightning Legs (his Chun-Li business), and then reply with the most powerful attack you can perform before he recovers.

Repeat until he's done or the time runs out.
  • Nah, my tactics work better! :)

Rick, point taken. But you're not gonna get all the achievements without doing the hardest combos and linking. The later trials for each character can be monstrous.

For time attack and survival, just use 'Gief and spam the lariat. 

Talking of achievements, I need to get back to SFxT for them, even if I don't really wanna get good at the game.
  • Stick delivered...  finding it quite good, albeit without knowing anything but the basic moves for Ryu, Ken and Akuma.  I did have some challenges with the button layout right up to the point where I changed the config for all punch buttons to be on hte top row and kick buttons on the bottom row.  

Some advice please....

I want to pick a single character and spend some serious time developing my game with that person.  Want to avoid Ryu or Ken.  What would be a good place to start as a n00b?  I was thinking Balrog or Vega.
  • Both are solid characters Jimmy, both however are charge folk. So you'll have to get to grips with that mechanic, some folks find it weird and not to their taste as it's not got the instant reliability of quarter circle moves (for example). 

Play around with both, try their trials and whichever feels more fun to you stick with for a while.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Thanks chap...

When you say "charge folk" do you mean you have to get they super thingy charged before they become useful? I apologise in advance, but it feels like I am learning a new language what with all the stuff discussed over the last couple of pages.
  • The standard special moves. For Ryu and Ken etc, the moves like Hadoken and Shoryuken are circular/fluid movements. "Charge characters" are ones where the special moves are done by holding one direction for a couple of seconds (charging) and then yanking in the opposite direction as you press a button.
  • I think Ryu is the best string point. He's one of the most rounded and versatile characters. But that's my opinion. If you're avoiding him and Ken etc, and want a non-charge character, GO FOR SAGAT COS HE IS THE KING OF MUAY THAI AND THE BEST CHARACTER EVER! 

/bias

Charge: Guile is good and easy to get to grips with.  Non-charge: Erm... You could try Yun. Should be fairly easy to learn him.
  • Haha no worries man, OK so most of the cast either have a move set which involves quarter circle, half circle or dragon punch inputs. The rest have charge moves, these are done by holding back or down (depending on the move) for 2 seconds and then forward and a button. So Guile's Sonic Boom is Backwards for 2 seconds then forward and Punch. Or his Flash Kick which is down for 2 seconds and then up and kick. 

So for Balrog try this basic one to get the idea. Try holding down back for 2 seconds near the dummy, then press Medium punch then as that hits push the stick forward and press light punch. He should hit with medium punch then immediately do his Dashing Straight move and hit the dummy for a 2 hit combo. 

So basically Charge characters take a bit more thought in certain situations as they don't have the ability to call on special moves (like Dragon Punches and Hadoukens) immediately because their move set needs the 2 second charge time. 

Have a look at Balrog's later Trials and you'll see there'll be more elaborate combos. One good one is crouching light punch, crouching light kick, then up and light punch to do his Headbutt. This is one of his most useful bread and butter combos. You can keep the stick in the down back through both the first two inputs, then just flick it straight to Up back position, Up and Punch for his special doesn't need to be straight up, it can be up back as well. 

EDIT: So that would look like this. down-back light punch, light kick, then up-back and light punch.

Hope that was helpful! It can be a bit of a head-fuck when you first start trying to get to grips with it all.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Gah! Desperate to try this but am being kept away from it.... Rather sadly i have set my alarm for 5am so i can get up before the family to have a crack. Thanks chaps.

Anyone here with a hori stick felt the need to modify anything? A few searches show a wealth of information on the topic what woth putting in proper arcade buttons and the like
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    I would say if you plan on putting a bit of time into it then it is definitely worth investing in some Sanwa buttons. Which Hori stick do you have?
  • That stick has a Sanwa JLF stick as standard which is what all high end sticks come with. IT has stock Hori buttons though which you'd be better off replacing with Sanwa OBSF 30 buttons.

It has quick disconnects so the button swaps are piss easy.

akihabarashop.jp is my preferred store for buttons.
  • Or if you fancied something a bit closer to home, Gremlin.
  • Also I cannot stress this enough, for your own sanity if at all possible buy the OBSN 30 buttons, which are the screw in versions of the OBSF's and are much easier to install and later remove if required. 

Also re button choices, I upgraded from a hori stock stick to sanwa parts, but found the buttons a bit too twitchy for my liking, as I am not dainty of hand. I find that Seimitsu PS-14-GN buttons (screw ins, but again there is a snap in version if you are a masochist) have just the right amount of resistance that they wont go off if I'm resting my fingers on them, but they are still nice and precise.

Another vote for Gremlin as well, I normally get my stuff delivered within a week if it's in stock there and have used them many times without problem.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Find a tier list and pick a low-tier character. You can then forever blame tier placement when you lose, despite such tier lists being largely pointless for fightmen of our quality.

I am now going to main T-Hawk.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Anyone been keeping up with the 25th anniversary series of tournaments?
    The West Coast regionals?

Two Zangief players in the SSF4 top 3? 

This game is mental.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Cherry_Pez wrote:
    Or if you fancied something a bit closer to home, Gremlin.

Is it bad that I have just bought a proper table footy table, pinball machine and table top arcade game for my man cave?   Not even looked at buttons for the hori stick yet...   My wife is gonna go nuts when this shit gets delivered.....   Don't put links like that up please I would prefer to stay married....
  • Haha, well they do nice stick buttons too, but you know, priorities! Must be some Tony Stark level man cave you've got going there...

Yeah Ricky I caught up with that today, that was a hell of a GF.
  • Got to give a big shout out to @crispy and his Guy, and Olsen and his Gouken and Gief. Last local session was awesome, till my 2nd stick broke.

Dat Guy, so much pressure. Run stops into low fiece frame traps all day. Need to run it back soon.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    I've not played SFIV in so long I feel guilty, like i've been cheating on it. My arcade stick keeps asking where i've been.

It'll always have a special place in my heart, but the constant revisions and updates meant I couldn't keep up with which moves were best for what anymore – they even changed the buttons on Gouken's parry moves...

I'm sure things'd be different if I had local friends into it too though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!